Author Topic: Info on French Cannons captured during the Spanish American War  (Read 1181 times)

Offline Vairnut

• Trade Count: (0)
I've got the documentation that 4 bronze cannon at Fort Leavenworth, KS were war trophies captured in 1898 - anybody have any records that might show where they were captured (Cuba, Peurto Rico, Philipines?). Nearly identical ones were brought back from Vera Cruz in 1847 and are on the grounds of the Naval Academy in Annapolis, suggesting they all came about the same time in the late 1700s or early 1800s.  Also trying to determine when the cannons were captured by the Spanish from the French.  Guns are Shore batteries, made between 1769 and 1775.  Some ideas are Haiti (1794 - Fort Dauphin), 1808 - surrender at Baylen, 1808, surrender of 6 ships at Cadiz, and Waterloo in 1814, to name a few.  I'm all ears for ideas!!

Offline KABAR2

• Trade Count: (1)
Re: Info on French Cannons captured during the Spanish American War
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2011, 09:36:29 AM »
Perhaps they were left in Cuba when the French fleet stopped in for a refit
after weathering a severe storm on the way over to Yorktown in 1781.....
The Spanish replaced stores and some arms that the French lost during the storm
maybe the French paid in siege artillery....
Mr president I do not cling to either my gun or my Bible.... my gun is holstered on my side so I may carry my Bible and quote from it!

Sed tamen sal petrae LURO VOPO CAN UTRIET sulphuris; et sic facies tonituum et coruscationem si scias artficium

Offline Max Caliber

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2011, 10:49:52 AM »
Max

Offline Vairnut

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2011, 10:54:37 AM »
Theories are great, because you can research them, but what I'm looking for is any kind of written evidence! I know some French cannons were captured in Cuba (one sits in San Franscisco), so it's reasonable, but without proof. Thanks again to anyone out there who has any ideas/info!

Offline Max Caliber

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2011, 11:11:07 AM »
This is one of the Ft. Leavenworth French guns. Around eight feet long and approximately a 12-pounder. Cast in 1762. I thought that the guns were presented to the US by the French Government but could be wrong.

Here are two others, both cast in 1774

Max

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2011, 11:25:22 AM »
Vairnut

WELCOME to the board!

We like folks with questions, you're starting off right!
Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2011, 11:32:56 AM »
Vairnut,

I think that an artillery collector, buyer, seller, and all-around ordnance history enthusiast by the name of John Morris (cannonmn) may be able to provide information that will help in your research efforts. He has a special interest in Spanish cannon, particularly bronze pieces, and he started the Web group Spanish Artillery Research Associates which can be found at:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/spanishartillery

If I'm not mistaken, his web group SARA has speciffically addressed your question about the four bronze French cannon located at Ft. Leavenworth.

You can also pose a question to him at "The Company of Military Historians" forum where he's the moderator. You don't have to be a member to post a question there, but you won't see your post listed on the forum till after the moderator reviews and approves it.

http://www.military-historians.org/
RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline Vairnut

« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2011, 11:57:30 AM »
All, Cannons at Leavenworth were made in 1769, 1775, 1774 and 1774 respectively.  They were listed as captured spanish cannon disributed to states on the order of the secretary of war 1 July 1899 - John provided me with a scan of page 90 of the report.  I had heard the story years ago that they were a gift from France, but they aren't. I'm in contact with John over on the company of military historians website - he's also the guy who found the info on the Naval Academy cannons in 2009/2010. These damn guns have befuddled me for over a decade - I've contacted Spain and France, PR, PI, you name it - I know the info is out there, somewhere.  What I have been able to do is kill quite a number of theories - the last being that it was among the 10 cannon captured by Doniphan at Sacramento and taken back to Missiouri from Mexico. Like I said, throw out ideas - one of them is right......

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2011, 12:38:26 PM »
Vairnut,
All I can say is good luck, and continue the effort! I know how frustrating this kind of research can be, I'm currently trying to find information on a 10-inch cast iron mortar located at Ft. Sumter, and all I keep running into are brick walls. Keep the Faith!
RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline Vairnut

« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2011, 02:28:11 PM »
Oh, yeah, even the dry holes tend to be interesting! Check out the attachment - though manufactured earlier than the 4 a Leavenworth, proof that French guns were in Cuba in 1898 - just wish they'd have given the names of the 8 guns.

Offline Vairnut

« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2011, 04:39:45 PM »
Another French Cannon found in Cuba!