Author Topic: Canadian friends..  (Read 392 times)

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
Canadian friends..
« on: March 31, 2011, 02:24:55 AM »
  Is the Toronto Sun a serious newspaper..or is it one of those "check out counter specials ?  Is this article likely true ?
   If so, I can only say;  "WHEW"...

http://www.torontosun.com/news/world/2011/03/30/17815361.html
If you don't want the truth, don't ask me.  If you want something sugar coated...go eat a donut !  (anon)

Offline OldSchoolRanger

• Trade Count: (60)
Re: Canadian friends..
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2011, 04:15:29 AM »
Ironglow,

The article is factual.  I saw a little blurb article in the NY Post's "Weird but True" column, it didn't post the details in depth, but it confirmed the story. My imagination and common sense (how else could it be?) filled in the rest of the story. 

OldSchool
"You are entitled to your own opinions, but you are not entitled to your own facts." - Sen. Daniel Patrick Moynihan

When you allow a lie to go unchallenged, it becomes the truth.

My quandary, I personally, don't think I have enough Handi's but, I know I have more Handi's than I really need or should have.

Offline powderman

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2011, 05:15:16 AM »
I read about another story like that concerning a woman supposedly not being cared for by her kids. POWDERMAN.  :( :(
Mr. Charles Glenn “Charlie” Nelson, age 73, of Payneville, KY passed away Thursday, October 14, 2021 at his residence. RIP Charlie, we'll will all miss you. GB

Only half the people leave an abortion clinic alive.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAiOEV0v2RM
What part of ILLEGAL is so hard to understand???
I learned everything about islam I need to know on 9-11-01.
http://www.thereligionofpeace.com/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDqmy1cSqgo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_u9kieqGppE&feature=related
http://www.illinois.gov/gov/contactthegovernor.cfm

Offline Sourdough

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2011, 03:13:41 PM »
EEEWE, I'd hate to have been on that call.

Several years ago i got a call to remove a window in base quarters.  No explination as to why the window needed to be removed, just a note to stand-by and replace the window when needed.  An Air force NCO that had been stationed at that base for several years lived in the quarters.  After moving in this NCO's wife had started gaining weight.  She quite going out side of the house.  Just sat, ate, and got bigger.  When Maintenance crews came she would hide till they left.  Then one day she got sick.  She was not able to get out the door to go to the Hospital.  So she just sat at home and got worse.  Finally her husband called the EMTs.  The EMTs called back to the Fire Station to explain to the Fire Chief that they needed a crew to help remove her from the house, and they felt a wall needed to be removed.  The Fire chief called me.  The picture window in the living room was removable, so I got the job.  This woman was well over 700 lbs.

Once I had removed the window, I suggested to the Chief we use the Roofing Crews Lift Truck to get her to the Hospital since she would not fit into the Ambulance.  And we needed to get her out the window that was 12 feet off the ground.  No way was the Fire Crew going to handle her weight without someone getting hurt.  I went to the CE Yard and got the truck.  The Fire Crew had to slide a small A/C loading pallet under her so enough of them could get hold and move her.   Once on the truck the Fire Crew covered her with blankets and a tarp.  I drove the truck to the Hospital.  The AF Hospital sent us on down town to the Civilian Hospital, they did not have the equipment to handle such a heavy person.  I drove off base with an Ambulance in front, and a Fire Truck behind.  The Anchorage Hospital had a special bed, and a lift, just for heavy people.  Once I got her to the loading dock at the Hospital, the hospital personnel took over.

Got a second call to help remove a large woman from the second floor of a quarters on Ft WW.  It took 15 of us to get her out of the Bathtub, down the narrow stairs, and again out the front room window.  This time we were able to slide her onto the back of a large Fire Truck for transport to the Hospital.  Again we were advised to go to the Civilian Hospital in Fairbanks, where they had the equipment to handle someone of that size.  This second woman could have walked out the door if she had been able to walk.  But it was easier for us to slide her out the window.
Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2011, 04:01:34 PM »
Sourdough;
  Must have been some job !  Hard to see how a person lets things go that far, but then, I've never been in their shoes.

In 1962, I was assigned to Ft Jackson, near Columbia SC.  In my company was a Sgt B_ _ _ .  He seemed like a right nice guy.  I was there a couple months before my wife and kids arrived.  In the meantime Sgt B_ _ _  had been reassigned.
    I found half a duplex available just about 3 miles from Ft Jackson and moved my family in there.
  We were there about a month when the neighbors from the other half of the duplex informed us that Sgt B_ _ _ had lived there, but his wife had died, so he was reassigned somewhere else.
  Seems the young wife had been caught up with a radio ministry, one that preached healing by prayer and faith alone.  We were told that one day she came down with a cold which soon progressed into pneumonia etc.  Refusing to allow the Sgt to take her to a Doc..she just laid there and died.  So sad, for a young woman to go that way when there was no real reason why she had to.
If you don't want the truth, don't ask me.  If you want something sugar coated...go eat a donut !  (anon)

Offline Sourdough

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2011, 10:16:13 AM »
Ironglow:  My last five years I was the night emergency man for Dept of Public Works on Ft Wainwright.  Anything that came in after reguler duty hours pertaining to buildings, utilities, infrastructure, or anything else they did not know how to handle, went to me.  I was a Jack Of All Trades, even handled Wild Animals, since that also fell under DPW.  I was dispatched out of the Alarm Room of the Fire Dept, since DPW was closed.  Any emergency that came in for the Fire Dept I also responded to, since my services were usually needed to shut off power, or something else.  Basically that is the same thing I did most of my Air Force Carrier.  Four of my first five bases I worked the night shift and responded to emergencies.  Everything from plugged toilets in the Generals Quarters to shutting off the power so the Fire Dept could fight a fire without getting electrocuted.
Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.