Author Topic: Hard cast flat point VS FMJ flat point  (Read 1045 times)

Offline BRL

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
    • Premium Nutrition
Hard cast flat point VS FMJ flat point
« on: April 14, 2011, 08:45:34 AM »
I saw a sale on Magtech 44 magnum 240 grain FMJ flat point. That got me thinking...
Most hard cast bullets don't expand and the wide meplate gives its large wound channel. What about a bullet with the same shape at the same velocity but made of copper? Will it have the same effect on deer/hogs?
B. Leeber
Nutritional Biochemist

Offline 45-70.gov

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
Re: Hard cast flat point VS FMJ flat point
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2011, 10:34:09 AM »
and will it be legal to hunt with????
when drugs are outlawed only out laws will have drugs
DO WHAT EVER IT TAKES TO STOP A DEMOCRAT
OBAMACARE....the biggest tax hike in the  history of mankind
free choice and equality  can't co-exist
AFTER THE LIBYAN COVER-UP... remind any  democrat voters ''they sat and  watched them die''...they  told help to ''stand down''

many statements made here are fiction and are for entertainment purposes only and are in no way to be construed as a description of actual events.
no one is encouraged to do anything dangerous or break any laws.

Offline coyotejoe

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2011, 05:53:52 AM »
If the meplat diameter is the same and velocity the same I can't think of any reason why the results would not be the same but as 45-70.gov mentioned legalities may not be the same at all.
The story of David & Goliath only demonstrates the superiority of ballistic projectiles over hand weapons, poor old Goliath never had a chance.

Offline Bigeasy

• Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2011, 07:03:57 AM »
I think it would depend on the bullets construction.  If its FMJ with a thin jacket, and a soft lead core, it may still deform and loose shape upon impact.

Larry
Personal opinion is a good thing, and everyone is entitled to one.  The hard part is separating informed opinion from someone who is just blowing hot air....

Offline BRL

• A Real Regular
    • Premium Nutrition
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2011, 03:36:40 AM »
Thanks for the thoughts. I forgot to realize the legality of hunting with FMJ rounds. I'll see if that's even a possibility.
B. Leeber
Nutritional Biochemist

Offline BRL

• A Real Regular
    • Premium Nutrition
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2011, 03:46:05 AM »
Prohibited...

"Nonexpanding full metal case, military ball, ammunition for taking deer."

Pretty vague. What if it's not military ball? Ha, ha

So, I can use it for hogs!

Oh well, I'm not the one who stretches the law. I guess that is why I don't see a lot of discussions comparing nonexpanding hard cast VS. nonexpanding full metal jacketed rounds and why there isn't more ammo available like that for hunting. 
B. Leeber
Nutritional Biochemist

Offline saddlebum

• Trade Count: (0)
  • "I ain't never been killed in my life."
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2011, 04:34:56 AM »
The key word there is 'ball'. It's the flat point that makes the difference in tissue displacement velocity and effective wound creation. I don't know how your local LEO will choose to interpret the law on this.

I witnessed a friend shoot a large porcupine with .45 auto 'military ball' and the darn thing turned around and charged him.....That's right!......Charged him! He almost took off running before he got a couple more in the porcupine and it stopped..............Very embarrassing! (and funny) It was still alive when I walked over and finished it off.
" FIREARMS STAND NEXT IN IMPORTANCE TO THE CONSTITUTION ITSELF. THEY ARE THE AMERICAN PEOPLE'S LIBERTY TEETH AND KEYSTONE UNDER INDEPENDENCE."       George Washington

“OUR CONSTITUTION WAS MADE ONLY FOR A MORAL AND RELIGIOUS PEOPLE. IT IS WHOLLY INADEQUATE TO THE GOVERNMENT OF ANY OTHER."           John Adams