Author Topic: Dropping Power  (Read 876 times)

Offline buckshooter

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Dropping Power
« on: March 31, 2011, 01:23:25 PM »
I own a 12 gauge USH (SB2-980) with the Nikon slug hunter scope.  I read an article a few months ago by Deer and Deer Hunting that said that a 20 gauge sabot flies faster than a 12 gauge sabot at 200 yards.  From what the article said, it was saying that a 20 gauge slug gun is the better weapon for killing deer at 200 yards.  Personally, I think the 12 gauge can still kill deer at 200 yards, but I am wondering if a 20 gauge has the power to kill a deer at 200 yards.    Is this true?     
"When guns are outlawed only the outlaws have guns."  by Louis L'Amoure

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it on to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free." by President Ronald Reagan

Offline gcrank1

• Trade Count: (24)
Re: Dropping Power
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2011, 06:08:23 AM »
Power to kill a deer at 200yd?
A .223 will do it, so why not a heavier, bigger frontal area projectile.
Foot pounds of energy is only one measurement of performance, and may not be the best indicator of terminal performance on game.
FWIW, in a bunch of cartridge rifle calibers it is not unusual to find a 'lighter' bullet that equals or exceeds the velo and trajectory of a heavier bullet at distance; the better BC takes over and retains energy better.
A lot of guys have been bagging their deer with 20's for years. See what distance you and your rig are accurrate enough for you to regularly hit the pie-plate kill zone of a deer in field conditions, regardless of caliber, then go for it.
"Halt while I adjust my accoutrements!"
      ><   ->
We are only temporary caretakers of the past heading toward an uncertain future
22Mag UV / 22LR  Sportster
357Mag Schuetzen Special
45-70  SS Ultra Hunter with UV cin.lam. wood
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974

Offline bikerbeans

• Trade Count: (168)
  • BANDIT - North American Snake Hound
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2011, 03:23:33 PM »
I think this was the argument put forth by Hastings when they came out with their 3.5" 20 ga slug ammo & gun.   The 20 ga sabots and attached wad slugs are supposed to have a better BC that their 12 ga counterparts, therefore retain energy longer, and supposedly more range.  Regardless of whether a 12 or 20 ga, given the velocities these rounds can be loaded to, you are going to have a holdover/bullet drop calculation to make at 200 yards.  As far as having enough power that would, as always, depend on bullet placement.  FWIW, I shot a heavy steel pan (approx 1/8' mild steel) that was hanging by a chain @ 200 yards with a 2 3/4" 12 ga buckhammer.  The slug ripped an oblong hole in the pan and knocked it off the chain.  It took 18 inches of holdover on a gun zeroed @ 125 yards to hit the pan.  Probably would have killed a deer at that distance.

BB
RIP Tom: Tom Nolan, ( bikerbeans) passed away this afternoon (02-04-2021).

Why be difficult, when with a little extra effort you can be impossible?

Wife's Handis;  300 BLKOUT

MINE:  270W, 308x444, 44 Bodeen, 410 shorty rifled slug gun, 445 SuperMag Shikari, 45 ACP shorty,  45-70 Shikari, 45 Cal Smokeless MZ, 50cal 24" SS Sidekick, 50 cal 24" Huntsman, 50 cal 26" Huntsman, 50 cal 26" Sidekick, 50-70 Govt Shikari, Tracker II 20 ga shorty, 20 ga VR Pardner, 20ga USH, 12ga VR NWTF, 12ga Tracker II shorty WITHOUT scope, 12ga USH, 10 ga  Pardner Smoothbore slug gun & 24ga Profino Custom rifled slug gun.

Offline Spanky

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (96)
  • USMC Semper Fidelis
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2011, 09:43:03 AM »
If you hit the vitals of a deer at 200 yds with a 12 or 20ga. it'll be meat on the pole. ;)

Spanky

Offline eye shot

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
    • Mike's Obituary
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2011, 01:02:32 PM »
If you want to know witch has more knock down at 200 it's the 12ga.
RIP Mike. Died on July 14th, around 2am, with his family at his side, he went peacefully to be with god.

http://www.sent-trib.com/obituaries/michael-l-schulte

Offline Spanky

• Moderators
  • USMC Semper Fidelis
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2011, 01:09:02 PM »
If you want to know witch has more knock down at 200 it's the 12ga.

Not necessarily. There is some pretty nasty 20ga. ammo on the market.

Spanky

Offline zackyholdem

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2011, 06:54:33 PM »
in the hornady sst for example the 20ga has a better ballistic coefficient than the 12ga so in that respect the 20 gauge wins

at 200yds the 20ga sst  1212fps and 815 ftlbs energy
at 200yds the 12ga sst  1341fps and 1198 ftlbs energy

so in terms of knockdown power the 12ga still rules, but a deer hit in the boiler room will die from either
When freedom shivers in the cold shadow of true peril, Its always the patriots who first hear the call. - Charlton Heston

Handi's -30-06, 223 Ultra, 7mm-08, 44 mag, 45-70, 17hmr, Tracker II 12ga, Pardner 10ga (2)12ga's and .410

Offline Bigeasy

• Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2011, 10:11:28 PM »
If you want to use "Bullet Energy" as a criteria, (an in-accurate criteria, I believe), then using the above noted Hornady ballistics, either slug load will hit a deer with as much, or more energy then a .44 magnum handgun, held point blank up against a deers ribs.  So, as others have said, the real issue is knowing your range, and being able to place those slugs consistently in the kill zone.

Larry
Personal opinion is a good thing, and everyone is entitled to one.  The hard part is separating informed opinion from someone who is just blowing hot air....

Offline zackyholdem

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2011, 10:14:48 AM »
If you want to use "Bullet Energy" as a criteria, (an in-accurate criteria, I believe), then using the above noted Hornady ballistics, either slug load will hit a deer with as much, or more energy then a .44 magnum handgun, held point blank up against a deers ribs.  So, as others have said, the real issue is knowing your range, and being able to place those slugs consistently in the kill zone.

Larry

i agree a better criteria to use would be the taylor knock out (KO) index, this gives you data that also takes into account a projectiles size instead of just its weight and speed like the ftlbs of energy does, it gives you more accurate real world expectations to use when comparing loads
When freedom shivers in the cold shadow of true peril, Its always the patriots who first hear the call. - Charlton Heston

Handi's -30-06, 223 Ultra, 7mm-08, 44 mag, 45-70, 17hmr, Tracker II 12ga, Pardner 10ga (2)12ga's and .410

Offline gcrank1

• Trade Count: (24)
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2011, 11:49:22 AM »
Does anybody remember Elmer Keith? He was talking this how many years ago and we still dont have a reliable predictor formula because each critter brought to bag has too many variables. It is clear that big, heavy for caliber bullets do the job very reliably.
As Fynn Agaard (sp?) once said (to paraphrase) ," Im long past the point where I want to see how small a caliber I can take game with".
"Halt while I adjust my accoutrements!"
      ><   ->
We are only temporary caretakers of the past heading toward an uncertain future
22Mag UV / 22LR  Sportster
357Mag Schuetzen Special
45-70  SS Ultra Hunter with UV cin.lam. wood
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974

Offline Spanky

• Moderators
  • USMC Semper Fidelis
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2011, 03:49:34 PM »
I don't rely on magazines or knockout formulas to tell me whether I've got enough gun or not. I shoot deer through the vitals and they die. Whether I'm using a 22 Hornet or a 45-70 it's always the same... it kills 'em. ;)

Spanky