Author Topic: GOT A WAYS TO GO  (Read 757 times)

Offline williamlayton

• Trade Count: (0)
GOT A WAYS TO GO
« on: April 28, 2011, 09:18:19 PM »
but it appears tha Texas is on the way to open carry.
I just knew there was a reason for me gettin the BBQ rig. ;D
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline Curtis

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (65)
Re: GOT A WAYS TO GO
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2011, 04:43:32 PM »
GOOD!! Do you have a link?

I would not open carry but I hope it passes.  It would nullify the rediculous "brandishing" assumption if your CCW just happened to peak out when you're reaching for that top shelf item in Wal-Mart.

Curtis
Lord, please help me to be half the man my dogs think I am.

Contender in 17 Rem, 22lr, 22k Hornet, 223 Rem, 256 WM, 6TCU, 7TCU, 7-30, 30 Herrett, 300 Whisper, 30-30 AI, 357 mag, 357 Herrett, 375 JDJ, 44 mag, 45/410..... so far.

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2011, 05:09:06 AM »
Curtis
No! I was just reading in the paper that it had passed the committee and would be sent to the Senate.
It is a beginning.
I just want it to pass so as I can show off the BBQ rig-- ;) ;D
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline huntswithdogs

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2011, 05:41:47 AM »
Not having an open carry law in Texas is kinda weird to me.
Up here in Va., I can carry open just about anywhere I want. Heck, I can carry openly into an establishment serving alcohol, but It's against the law for me to carry concealed into the same place. Strange , huh?

Hope it goes thru for ya'll!

HWD

Offline BBF

• GBO Supporter
  • I feel much better now knowing it will get worse.
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2011, 06:55:07 AM »
Not having an open carry law in Texas is kinda weird to me.
Up here in Va., I can carry open just about anywhere I want. Heck, I can carry openly into an establishment serving alcohol, but It's against the law for me to carry concealed into the same place. Strange , huh?

Hope it goes thru for ya'll!

HWD

I can see a reason for that.
The establishment can toss your butt right out if they don't like that you are packin' if the "heat" is visible ;D ;D .
What is the point of Life if you can't have fun.

Offline streak

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2011, 05:43:44 PM »
Hey William!
 Please keep us posted!
Recently they tried to pass it here in Colorado, it passed the House but the liberals in the senate voted it down! Not surprising, as the capitol sets right in Denver, the liberal bastion of Colorado!!
I have always been an advocate of having the right to open or concealed carry without all of this jumping through hoops to get a permit from the sheriff`s department. Just another constitutional right that was taken away and should have never happen!

NRA Life time Member
North American Hunting Club
Second Amendment Foundation
Gun Owners of America
Handgun Hunters International

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2011, 03:51:05 AM »
I thought I would never say this---but I am in favor of proof that one is qualified, both legally and proficiently to carry a gun.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline spruce

« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2011, 04:41:27 AM »
I have to disagree with the proficiency requirement.  How would you define proficient? Set an arbitrary requirement, for say, a 6" group at a certain yardage - but a 6 1/4" group would present a danger to society??

Judgement is the most important aspect when it comes to carrying a deadly weapon and there's no way to set an objective standard for that.

Just as passing a driving test does not mean the person will be a safe driver when turned loose on the roads, passing an arbitrary test of shooting skills does not prove that person will act responsibly when carrying a gun.

Offline Mohawk

« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2011, 05:07:46 AM »
It is long ovedue. There will always be critics, though. " What if someone grabs your gun?". Simple..... fall on it. "The public will be intimidated." Who cares.

Offline MGMorden

• Trade Count: (3)
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2011, 06:18:07 AM »
It is long ovedue. There will always be critics, though. " What if someone grabs your gun?". Simple..... fall on it. "The public will be intimidated." Who cares.

Not that I even recommend mandating them, but the obvious solution to that problem is to use a Level 2+ retention holster.  Most of them, and heck even the simple holsters like the ones Fobus puts out for $20 are designed such that the gun will only come out of the holster if pulled straight up - an angle that is difficult for anyone but the person actually wearing the gun to achieve.

I do agree though that open carry would make me more comfortable carrying concealed.  As it is, 99% of the time that I carry I'm pocket carrying my LCP.  While there's a (VERY) slim chance that it might print a bit (which isn't illegal here), there's no chance that anyone will actually see it.  With open carry illegal here in SC, I'm hesitant to wear many other rigs simply because of the risk of a shirt/jacket riding up and exposing the gun.

At a MINIMUM, even if "open carry" isn't just universally legal, I think that a "concealed carry permit" should be redefined to a "Carry Permit" that allows you to carry a handgun - be it carried openly OR concealed.

Offline Mohawk

« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2011, 01:24:00 PM »
Problem is retention holsters fail, just like everthing else. Especially the thugs that are familiar with them. Best solution, even with a preverbial padlock on your holster, is to fall on it. I lived in an open carry state and it was no problem. No funny looks, folks weren't scared, etc. It really was no issue.