Author Topic: lightweight handi/subsonic 500 s&w  (Read 2037 times)

Offline 500nz

• Trade Count: (0)
lightweight handi/subsonic 500 s&w
« on: April 02, 2011, 12:02:59 PM »
hi everyone.

i am from new zealand and have recently purchased a handi rifle in 500s&w. it has a huge suppressor and shoots subsonic 700gr bullets very quietly into an inch at 100 yds :D i have plans for the rifle which include getting another barrel in 308 or 7mm08 if i can find one (i already reload 7mm08) and cutting it down possibly along with taking a small amount off the stock to reach our legal limit of 30 inches. would make a great bush rifle for where i live.  just wondering is there any way i could possibly take a bit more weight off the beast? it is a budget project so i so i do not want to spend $$$ on barrel fluting etc. if i could find a synthetic stock for it would this make much of a difference? It's very hard to find barrel only over here and i may be forced to buy another whole gun which is around $500-$600

thanks.
adam.

Offline 500nz

Re: lightweight handi/subsonic 500 s&w
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2011, 12:09:20 PM »
here's a pic... hopefully! never done this before

Offline Spanky

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (96)
  • USMC Semper Fidelis
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2011, 12:44:50 PM »
I've got a 500 barrel and dies coming in the mail. I plan on putting together some subsonic loads using trail boss and cast bullets. We can't use "cans" here in NY state. >:(
I'm wanting mine to be set up as a quiet close range gun for the thick woods here in upstate. I don't think I'll have any issues with lack of penetration with heavy cast bullets even at low velocities.
To keep the weight down I want to use synthetic stocks and maybe cut it down to 18" or so. If I still don't think it's light enough I'll knock the lug off and turn the barrel down in the lathe. Maybe end up with a 500 superlight. ;)
Or maybe I could talk Tim into doing another octagon barrel. ;D ;)

Spanky

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2011, 12:48:23 PM »
Welcome Adam!  ;) Feel free to post an ad in the H&R Want to Buy forum, that would be the proper place to look for second hand H&R parts.  ;)

Negative on the octagon barrel, just too much work, but someone local may be able to do it for a price. 

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline 500nz

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2011, 12:52:24 PM »
hi there

the problem actually isnt lack of penetration but quite the opposite.. at slower velocities the bullets tend not to expand at all so will just carry on through..(unless you're shooting elephants..) however with a gun like this at least you are leaving a half inch hole! if i were you not being able to use a suppressor i would forget trying to be quiet and just load up some bullets suitable for your game at whatever velocity you are happy shooting them out of something lightweight!

does anyone make aftermarket lightweight stocks for the handi? we are not allowed pistol grip or even thumbhole stocks here..

have posted a WTB, does anyone actually look in those though? i know i never do ???

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2011, 12:58:29 PM »
Well, you didn't post it in the H&R WTB forum, but I moved it for you, there are three H&R Classified forums and yes, they're very busy, but your problem will be getting someone here to ship gun parts international due to the ITAR. But we do have several NZ and OZ members here, maybe they can help.

Brownells sells H&R synthetic stocks, Choate makes them, I know Brownells ships to Canada, not sure about elsewhere, Choate does thru their international site.

Tim

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php#c12

http://www.actionexportsusa.com/

http://www.actionexportsusa.com/catalog_page.cfm?PCID=1&MID=11&PSCID=267&Lev=S3

Offline Spanky

• Moderators
  • USMC Semper Fidelis
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2011, 01:05:09 PM »
What's the ITAR??

Spanky

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2011, 01:07:47 PM »

Offline 500nz

« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2011, 01:21:13 PM »
hmmm that complicates things.. guess i may just have to fork out for another whole rifle over here..

can anyone comment on the quality of the choate stocks?

Offline Spanky

• Moderators
  • USMC Semper Fidelis
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2011, 01:29:10 PM »
I've got a few of the Choate sets and I like them. I order them direct from the factory and they're good to deal with.

Spanky

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2011, 01:45:04 PM »
Choate stocks are excellent, specially the checkered models(not shown on their international site) but the old style are a bit lighter.

Tim

Offline Kiwi Hunter

« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2011, 12:58:21 AM »
Giday Adam! as you can see by my forum name I'm down round your neck of the woods . The good folks on this forum have helped me heaps to source repair parts for my handis thu Numricks gun parts. You will find the new zealand h&r import agents are useless! so tryin to get a spare barrel thru them is just dreaming. Best and cheapest option is buying another complete rifle  second hand . Very nice 500sw by the way, I was very tempted myself when I saw it advertised but I have the similar set up in 44rem mag already. I live about an hour north of auckland so feel free to PM me if need to confess to another Kiwi about your addition. Can't say I 'd be much help with controlling your obsession ,as I have been feeding the handi habit for a good 15 years now, but at least I will understand when others may not ;D. On the aftermarket stock thing ,you can import what ever you like for a single shot, thumb hole,pistol grip  folding stocks  all are legal for break open single shots in NZ. Also spend time reading up and learning about handis in the FAQ'S it is simply the best resource any where on the internet full stop! Without it I would have been stuffed .  Welcome to the board.
 Cheers Kev

Offline bikerbeans

• Trade Count: (168)
  • BANDIT - North American Snake Hound
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2011, 05:28:39 AM »
here's a pic... hopefully! never done this before

Adam,

I really like your 500!  I am trying to imagine what your gun would look like if Stimpylu had a chance to paint it.  Stimpy is the Rembrandt of Handis. :)

BB
RIP Tom: Tom Nolan, ( bikerbeans) passed away this afternoon (02-04-2021).

Why be difficult, when with a little extra effort you can be impossible?

Wife's Handis;  300 BLKOUT

MINE:  270W, 308x444, 44 Bodeen, 410 shorty rifled slug gun, 445 SuperMag Shikari, 45 ACP shorty,  45-70 Shikari, 45 Cal Smokeless MZ, 50cal 24" SS Sidekick, 50 cal 24" Huntsman, 50 cal 26" Huntsman, 50 cal 26" Sidekick, 50-70 Govt Shikari, Tracker II 20 ga shorty, 20 ga VR Pardner, 20ga USH, 12ga VR NWTF, 12ga Tracker II shorty WITHOUT scope, 12ga USH, 10 ga  Pardner Smoothbore slug gun & 24ga Profino Custom rifled slug gun.