Author Topic: I got financially "dinged" Sunday by my press, my .223 Handi, and #41 primers  (Read 461 times)

Offline Land_Owner

• Global Moderator
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (31)
    • Permission Granted - Land Owner
Here is the beginning of this dialog...http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,231437.0.html a thread which I started in the GBO Hand Loading For Rifles and Handguns Forum that describes the situation.  They have tossed me (back) to the Handi-Forum for a look-see at the FAQ's and to kick this around here a while.

I believe the posters there are right on target with #41 primers being stouter and more suitable for "slam-fire" type semi- and automatic rifles (M16) and not so suitable for the single shot Handi's.  I had not had this much trouble or frustration since putting the Green Machine together the first time and henceforth intend to make single bullets for the Handi-rifle on a single stage press. 

Lesson Learned.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
The SOP for FTFs with normal "sporting" primers is to replace the hammer spring with a Wolff extra power spring, available direct from them specially if you need more than one since they're shipping is less than Midway when you buy a pack of 5. The FAQs has several links to past discussions on FTFs and what to do about them, the transfer bar is part of the problem, but using harder military type primers has got to add some frustration.

I was at Wholesale sports (SW) yesterday, they had lots of primers, even Federal, all but large rifle, they also had Federal brass, never seen it there before.

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain