Author Topic: My newest cannon  (Read 2300 times)

Offline Forward Observer

• Trade Count: (0)
My newest cannon
« on: April 24, 2010, 08:20:43 PM »

I haven't posted in a while here, but thought I would  show off my new mini-field piece.   

I had come across these models made supposedly for display only some time back on the Internet and started a thread here about the possibility of them being modified as a shooter.   Here's the previous thread

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,182311.msg1098890136.html#msg1098890136

To recap, It's a 1/5 scale model of an M1841 six pdr. made  by CAS-Hanwei using oak and steel.    Hanwei mainly makes reproduction Asian and European medieval swords and armor for collectors and the Renaissance fair re-enactor market, but this may be the only cannon they produced.    It is not in their current product list, so it may be discontinued although several of the  reproduction arms and armor dealers still appear to have them in stock.

After Boomlover responded that he had one in hand and that they could be made into shooters--also that since one company had done just that and was reselling them at about a 35% markup, I had decided to get one when I had the extra funds.   As other things took priority and time passed, I kind of forgot about it, but then just a few weeks ago I learned that through a miscalculation in my retirement withholding, I found out I was getting an embarrassingly large tax refund.  About this same time, I spotted a dealer on Ebay who had several  of these  M1841's for sale.  Viola--the deed was done and it just arrived this week.

From several measurements, I have verified that the scale is correct and all metal parts appear to be steel except  the tire rims.  Although they have the same gray/brown chromed finish as the barrel, a magnet would not stick to them.  However, I do know that there are some steel alloys that are non-magnetic, so I really can't be sure what they are  made of.   

One shortcoming I noticed is that unlike the original cannons, the models do not have a steel axle encased in the wood axle body.  The model  instead has a single block of wood with the ends turned to replicate the axles.     This may be strong enough to hold up to firing as is, but it wouldn't be a major operation to fabricate a steel axle to correct it.

Even the sponge and rammer chain looks authentic with the correct working hasp lock arrangement as well as an ear plate and key for the worm

Here's a shot of it setting next to one of the CVA style Napoleon's.
You will note that the 6 pdr's carriage is not quite as beefy as the Spanish made  cannon,
which also has a sturdy steel axle in the axle  housing.

I don't know when I'll get around to drilling a vent and firing it, but will post pictures  when I do.

Cheers
Artillery brings dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl!

Offline Eyes Of Death

• Dehogger
Re: My newest cannon
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2010, 08:41:00 PM »
Interesting call sign you got there.  And nice cannon to.

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2010, 05:06:45 AM »
I am going to suggest that the very first thing you do is fix the axles, even before shooting.

Is it the photo or is the gun unfinished?  The metal work and wood appear unpainted.

Looks pretty good other wise.

Offline Forward Observer

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2010, 06:40:03 AM »
I am going to suggest that the very first thing you do is fix the axles, even before shooting.

Is it the photo or is the gun unfinished?  The metal work and wood appear unpainted.

Looks pretty good other wise.

Agreed about the axles.   The barrel and tire rims are plated with a brownish blue chrome like finish while all the other metal parts appear to have a satin like finish almost like
gray parkerizing.   The latter would be easy to paint, but the barrel and tire rims might present a problem unless one used abrasives to rough them up.   The wood was stained dark but could easily  be painted over if one desired.     Overall, it's still quite an nice model, and I'm pretty happy with it.

Cheers
Artillery brings dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl!

Offline Double D

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2010, 06:43:03 AM »
Okay I understand about the metal work.  It just looked unpainted in the pictures.

Offline KABAR2

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2010, 10:05:07 AM »

The barrel and tire rims are plated with a brownish blue chrome like finish 
 .   The barrel and tire rims might present a problem unless one used abrasives to rough them up.  

Cheers

I wonder how these parts would take to being bead blasted...... more than likely the plating is very thin.

if I ever get ahead of the bills maybe I will invest in one and let you know

Allen <><
Mr president I do not cling to either my gun or my Bible.... my gun is holstered on my side so I may carry my Bible and quote from it!

Sed tamen sal petrae LURO VOPO CAN UTRIET sulphuris; et sic facies tonituum et coruscationem si scias artficium

Offline Double D

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2011, 05:59:48 PM »
Gentlemen I have had an inquiry about what if anything you did about strengthening the axles on these carriages.  The Inquiries come for a non English speaking person and he has some difficulty under the various meanings of words.

If you could tell us what you did and perhaps show us pictures it would help him out greatly.

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2011, 06:18:47 PM »
Douglas,

He sent me a PM asking me what you meant (what method you would use) when you told Forward Observer to strengthen the axle, and I answered him as best as I could. 
RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.