Author Topic: Have a ton of questions and not an idea what I'm doing.  (Read 779 times)

Offline WALKERS210

• Trade Count: (0)
Have a ton of questions and not an idea what I'm doing.
« on: April 11, 2011, 04:14:57 PM »
Picked up this little cannon over the weekend, I bought it just because it looked great and had no intention of ever trying to fire it. (well maybe a little curiosity)  It is my understanding that the thickness of the barrel is not up to par for a live fire but I was wondering if it would be possible to machine a steel insert for the barrel so it could fire blanks or maybe confetti. The barrel outside diam is 2" and the bore is 1 1/8".  Attached pics give an idea about what I have.  Any advise will be appreciated.

Trying to add a second pic to show the measurements for sections of barrel since I don't have a clue as to the proper names so I will call some thing-a-majig,  and what's a ma call it.   Yes the addiction has been stoked before with my BP rifles and pistols, the cannons are because of the wife.  She wants a big one to sit in the front yard aimed at the drive way. 

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Pulaski Coehorn Works
Re: Have a ton of questions and not an idea what I'm doing.
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2011, 04:24:56 PM »
WALKERS210 -   WELCOME TO the board!

You are starting the addiction right!  Yes, get it bored to a known diameter and press or glue in a correctly made liner (seamles DOM tubing) of sufficient thickness.

It's small enough that is not a huge task to accmplish.

Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline GGaskill

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2011, 04:30:18 PM »
The 2" diameter is at the muzzle or the breech?  If the cascable is really 1" diameter, it looks like the breech diameter is close to 3".  1.125" bore in a 3" breech is close enough for me if it is a steel barrel.  The 3:1 ratio is for the area that has to contain the explosion, not the whole length.

OK, starting from the back, the 1" protrusion is called the cascable (or cascabel), the ring is the breech ring and the breech is the area just in front of the ring where the powder sits.  At the absolute front is the muzzle and just behind is the muzzle swell.  The area in front of the breech is called the chase.  In your barrel, there is not a definitive point where the breech becomes the chase.  In more ornate barrels, there are several other regions with bands that separate them so the names are more definitive.

One more question--what material is the barrel made from?  If it is steel, I would ream to 1.5" and insert a liner with a .75 cal bore so you could use a standard muzzle loading round ball as shot.  If brass or some softer material, then a .50" bore and use .495 balls.
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2011, 07:20:32 PM »
Good to meet you, Walkers210. Hey, you have experience with BP firearms, so you've already got some idea of what you're doing. ;)
RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2011, 08:27:32 PM »
"Yes the addiction has been stoked before with my BP rifles and pistols, the cannons are because of the wife.  She wants a big one to sit in the front yard aimed at the drive way. "

Welcome to the board ! ;D DUDE you are in like Flint !  That one is probably a no go . Thats the bad news ,the good news is   8)  you get to buy a new cannon .

Hang out for awhile and look at the possibilities you'll see something you like and is safe to shoot balls from .

Good Luck
Gary

"I've seen too much not to stay in touch , With a world full of love and luck, I got a big suspicion 'bout ammunition I never forget to duck" J.B.

Offline BoomLover

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2011, 10:20:37 PM »
Welcome aboard! You have the hardest part already in the bag...convincing the wife! Check out our sponsors, most of them will work with you to build what you want! You have two choices...jump in with both feet and buy 'till your pocket book is empty, or...research till you find what you and your wife really like, keep her in the loop, and you will do fine! (I'd suggest # 2!) BoomLover
"Beware the Enemy With-in, for these are perilous times! Those who promise to protect and defend our Constitution, but do neither, should be evicted from public office in disgrace!

Offline Zulu

• Honor is a gift a man gives himself.
    • Wood & Ironworks
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2011, 03:54:09 AM »
"Yes the addiction has been stoked before with my BP rifles and pistols, the cannons are because of the wife.  She wants a big one to sit in the front yard aimed at the drive way. "

Welcome to the board ! ;D DUDE you are in like Flint !  That one is probably a no go . Thats the bad news ,the good news is   8)  you get to buy a new cannon .

Hang out for awhile and look at the possibilities you'll see something you like and is safe to shoot balls from .

Good Luck
Gary

What's wrong with a cannon pointing at the driveway? ;D
It's a guaranteed attention getter!

Walkers210,
This one adorns my front doors and points down the driveway to the street.  I made the barrel out of concrete with a mold I have.  The carriage is of treated wood.  It's too heavy to easily steal and can take the weather.  Of course it will not fire. :P

This one guards the pool in the back yard. ;)

Obviously, my wife agrees with yours. 8)
Zulu
Zulu's website
www.jmelledge.com

Offline WALKERS210

« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2011, 08:26:58 AM »
Now that's what I would call a deterrent to having unwanted visitors coming up the drive.  This little cannon I bought was just too much to pass on,  did have enough smarts to start asking before I started loading it with BP.  I have given much thought to machining a liner to press fit in the brass barrel.  I want to add the hardware and ropes to make it look right if nothing but a good display model and conversation piece.  Of course I will have to rely on my son and his steady hand and younger eyes to do the machine work,  not saying I can't do it but heck he is good and he still owes me for 20yrs of rent free housing and food, cars, cloths, and so on.  Thanks again to all,  looking forward to learning more

Online Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2011, 01:40:03 PM »
No don't press fit a liner.  Slip fit and epoxy plus add set keys in the muzzle.  There is instructions on how to do it in the Switlik's More  complete  Cannoneer which is long out of print.  Perhaps someone can copy and quote the section here for you.

Offline dominick

• GBO Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (21)
    • Black Powder Cannons & Mortars
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2011, 02:41:53 PM »
Hello WALKERS210,   
Yes I agree, do not press fit.  I'll go one further and say no epoxy either.  Use dutchmans [retaining screws]  at the muzzle, the seam where the liner meets the barrel.  The screw wants to be on the seam half in the liner and half in the barrel about 1" deep and 1/4" diameter, 3 of them.  You will also need a vent liner that goes into the liner sleeve.  This eliminates any possibility of corrosion on the outside of the liner sleeve in that area.   Also, the liner want to be a loose slide fit but with no play.  I would make it about 10 thousands clearance.  Less than that, it's too easy to get the liner stuck.  The liner wants to have a pressed in and welded plug that's about 3/4" thick.  You can also thread the plug and liner but, if the liner is thinner than 3/16", welding is the preferred method.  The rear of the liner wants a slighthy radiused edge and also have full contact with the flat breech face of the barrel.  I check the fit with some grease on the rear face of the liner.  I would use a 1/4" thick liner.  1-1/4" x .250 wall will give you a 3/4" ID. or 75 caliber.   Hope I didn't bombard you with too much stuff here.   Regards,  Dom

Offline Mike H.

• Avid Poster
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2011, 02:44:20 PM »
...how to do it in the Switlik's More  complete  Cannoneer which is long out of print.
It would be really, really nice if somebody would run another printing of that book.  I'd love a copy, but not at $100 used.

Offline WALKERS210

« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2011, 03:27:42 PM »
Guys this is exactly why I posted in the first place.  I have no shame in admitting that I don't know or how to do many things and I do listen and try my best to learn as much as this feeble old mind will retain.  Hate to say this but after reading on this site I might wind up shifting gears (just slightly) and steer away from so many Colt revolvers and maybe a few of the Hawken's I have and just go BIG GUN, just don't know what holster I could use to carry it <G>. Again to everyone thanks for all the information and guidance.