Author Topic: How do I fire black powder salute cannon w/14" long barrel?  (Read 930 times)

Offline pguyton

• Trade Count: (0)
How do I fire black powder salute cannon w/14" long barrel?
« on: April 03, 2011, 05:37:35 PM »
My dad left me his black powder salute cannon, but no instructions. He used to fire it at family celebrations and I vaguely remember him pouring the powder in the barrel, putting paper in barrel (?), standing about three feet off to the side, pulling a string? The specifics are fuzzy.. Am attatching pics. Just want to know how I fire it or where to find out how to fire it.
Thanks

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Pulaski Coehorn Works
Re: How do I fire black powder salute cannon w/14" long barrel?
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2011, 05:49:07 PM »
pguyton -

WELCOME to the board.

First thing to do is to clean up the inside of the bore and take some measurements - does it have a powder chamber?

Corrosion is an issue, so cleaning and inspecting for cracks is of highest priority.  I can post pix of a 1" bore cannon that exploded (the fragment that is left).  It clearly shows the cracks that were there for years before it went kaboom.

Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline GGaskill

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2011, 06:18:11 PM »
If the hole in #4 doesn't go through, it must be clogged.  Clean the whole barrel with soapy water until no black color comes out.  That should clear the #4 hole (the vent) too.
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline dan610324

• Trade Count: (0)
  • bronze cannons and copper stills ;-))
    • dont have
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2011, 10:41:00 PM »
it seem to have slightly over 2" diameter in the breech area .
with a 1" bore I wouldnt fire it at all .

ITS NOT SAFE TO FIRE

ok it maybe dont explode the first time you fire it , but you will risk your life everytime you fire it .
are you willing to take that risk ??

the breech diameter should always be minimum 3 times the bore diameter to be considered as safe .
Dan Pettersson
a swedish cannon maniac
interested in early bronze guns

better safe than sorry

Offline GGaskill

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2011, 11:26:56 AM »
After you have cleaned this thoroughly, measure the barrel.  What we particularly need is bore diameter at the bottom (which you will likely have to determine with plugs), breech diameter, bore length and barrel length from muzzle to breech (don't include the cascable, the knob at the back, in that last length.) 

Just speculating, the best thing you could do would be have a new barrel made from steel to the old barrel's external dimensions but with a smaller bore that would give you breech walls the same thickness as the bore.  That would be safer to fire although you would still need to use a reasonable powder charge.
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill