Author Topic: Model 70  (Read 600 times)

Offline jcn59

• Trade Count: (37)
Model 70
« on: July 05, 2012, 05:19:54 PM »
I recently bought a SS model 70 action with CRF (Mauser extractor) that someone built a rifle on.  Can anyone give me an approximate year range of when Winchester  made these? It has a "hollow" bolt handle knob, and a drop floorplate, all stainless.  The Shilen barrel is chambered in .257 Roberts, which might indicate action length.  Thank you.
Vote them all out, EVERY election!

Does anyone remember the scene from "Quigley Down Under" showing the aborigines lined up on the skyline as far as you could see?   That needs to be US!
NRA Life Member

Offline gunnut69

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (0)
Re: Model 70
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2012, 04:24:58 PM »
The serial number should give you the year of manufacture. The 257 has been made in both long and short action rifles.. The M70's were long actions but they were then only made as long actions. The new M70's are made in both lengths. Remington put theirs in the 722 (a short action)and it also works well. The 257 is a favorite and I've done well with it on local whitetails using a 100 grain Hornaday. The same bullet works well in a 250 savage M99 though I've not used it on deer. I also have a 250 in a M54 Winchester.. Good luck with yours!
gunnut69--
The 2nd amendment to the constitution of the United States of America-
"A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed."