Author Topic: Sad news from the SAMCC  (Read 1319 times)

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
Sad news from the SAMCC
« on: January 23, 2011, 06:53:52 AM »
This just in from the clubs monthly news letter.

Dear Members and Gunners,
          Some good news, please note that the cannon club will have a shoot on the 6 February  at the SAPREF range. This is only a once off, as the range is due for demolition. Will discuss other options at the shoot. 
Please note subs are now due for the year.   Members R80.00, Country Members R60.00

The SAMCC has been shooting at the  South African Petroleum Refinery pistol range for 30 or 40 years.   Now due to plant expansion they must find another range.               

Offline KABAR2

• Trade Count: (1)
Re: Sad news from the SAMCC
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2011, 08:46:48 AM »
That is sad news but seems to be a growing trend.... we have a state park in my area that had a rifle & pistol range the pistol range was
closed with no explanation during the last Governors regime
Mr president I do not cling to either my gun or my Bible.... my gun is holstered on my side so I may carry my Bible and quote from it!

Sed tamen sal petrae LURO VOPO CAN UTRIET sulphuris; et sic facies tonituum et coruscationem si scias artficium

Offline GGaskill

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2011, 10:12:49 AM »
We had a very nice range down here that had been in place on leased land for 50+ years.  The gun club had a number of opportunities to purchase the land but always declined to do so.  Some corrupt politicians in the town across the river wanted them gone because they thought the noise lowered the value of their properties.  Because they had to disqualify themselves from voting in the council meetings due to personal interest in the legislation, they couldn't get a quorum to try to close the range by statute.  So they somehow convinced the landlord not to renew the lease. 

While I blame the politicians for this, I also blame the gun club for not buying the property when they had the chances.  Hopefully SAMCC will find some place they can buy as a non-profit.
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2011, 10:14:28 AM »
The  Lads and lasses are a resilient bunch, they will find a place.

The greater worry for the club is there are no new young folks coming in...

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2011, 10:15:35 AM »
The SAMCC has been shooting at the  South African Petroleum Refinery pistol range for 30 or 40 years.   Now due to plant expansion they must find another range.    

DD,
So what's your take on this, will they have an easy time finding another range to use, or are public ranges a rarity in contemporary SA?
RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline GGaskill

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2011, 11:18:41 AM »

Our rifle club had that problem until we set up a web site.  While some of our oldest guys have problems with letting teenagers shoot with us, we have gotten a better turnout from the under 50 crowd, and when the oldest guys are gone, we will be a little more receptive to younger shooters.

Are they making any attempt to attract more people?  That is the first requirement.
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline dan610324

• bronze cannons and copper stills ;-))
    • dont have
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2011, 03:07:31 PM »
why not tell them to try to recruite younger people from high school
preferably those who learn mechanical or foundry as a part of their education
they could make their own cannons to shoot there
it will make them more interested for history also as it need a lot of research to find drawings of what they want to make and shoot
Dan Pettersson
a swedish cannon maniac
interested in early bronze guns

better safe than sorry

Offline Winger Ed.

« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2011, 08:36:20 PM »
While some of our oldest guys have problems with letting teenagers shoot with us,,,,,,,,,,,

That statement is so profound...

I've seen the effects of that attitude all across the 'hunting & shooting sports'.
And none of the results are positive.

Combine that attitute of so many 'older guys':
with all the ga-zillions of young Americans growing up in broken homes/'Single Mom' families,,,,,,,,

How many shooters, marksmen, hunters, home repair /car mechanics, fishermen,,,etc.,,,,,,
even (future) cannon builders do ya think will come from that combination?
How many new 'bow hunters' or additions to the field of muzzle loaders, and other Primitive weapons
are them so-and-so's generating? 

I think about that every day. 
When I see guys as old, or older than myself,,,,,,,, spurn (for lack of a better word)
the younger folks---- it just makes my head explode.
"Gone are the days of wooden ships, and Iron men.
I doubt we shall ever see their likes again".
Unknown US Coast Guard Commander on the upper US East Coast.  Circa 1920

In our modern & enlightened times:
The only thing the Meek will inherit- is a Berqa.

Offline Winger Ed.

« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2011, 10:34:50 PM »
As much as I like to teach the younger generations all that I know......
DD,,,,,,,Might this also be a good time for the 'kids' to teach us something?  Or us learn from them?
"The kids" being other members of the 'Brotherhood',,, ohh, about 1 or two generations back---
While in the 'Sand box', as they called it---- they developed a tactic called, "Shoot & Scoot".
Basically:
You set up & fire whatever Artillery piece you're assigned to,,,, etc., etc.,,,,,. 
Then, very quickly,, ya pack your trash & 'haul a$$' before you're located, and recieve 'incoming' fire....
Or,,,,,,, the Cops show up.
"Gone are the days of wooden ships, and Iron men.
I doubt we shall ever see their likes again".
Unknown US Coast Guard Commander on the upper US East Coast.  Circa 1920

In our modern & enlightened times:
The only thing the Meek will inherit- is a Berqa.

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2011, 06:57:38 AM »
The U.S. Artillary has a way of simplifying things to the essentials - Shoot, move and communicate.  Now it's shoot and scoot.  :)  ;D
Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline thelionspaw

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
  • "HALLOWED GROUND" by RRC
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2011, 08:16:35 AM »
Our local Central Schools used to have rifle teams and not that long ago either. None now.  Few hunt or fish. My daughter missed-out on the archery and rifle teams because they disappeared when she was ready in the 80's.  I'm afraid all their marksmanship is with video games.  Let's face it.......we've lost!
Protect Freedom of Speech; to identify IDIOTS!

Offline GGaskill

« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2011, 04:30:12 PM »
Because they had to disqualify themselves from voting in the council meetings due to personal interest in the legislation, they couldn't get a quorum to try to close the range by statute.  So they somehow convinced the landlord not to renew the lease.

The other shoe has finally dropped in this case and we are finding out what the city council gave the quarry company in exchange for ousting the gun club.  Turns out that the quarry wanted to expand which would require more blasting.  The council altered the law regarding how much blasting was allowed and even sided with the quarry when a citizens' group put up a referendum against the additional blasting.

Ah, government; just what we need more of.
GG
--Winston Churchill