Author Topic: How is the accuracy of the newer Ruger # 1's????  (Read 1508 times)

Offline Wyo. Coyote Hunter

• Trade Count: (0)
How is the accuracy of the newer Ruger # 1's????
« on: January 27, 2011, 04:56:26 AM »
 ;D  It has been quite a while since a Ruger rifle has been in my gun safe...I am not sure what the last one even was...had a couple number one's in Swift and 6mm years ago  like 30 or more years ago..accuracy was not horrible, just not super...I think in those days Ruger bought their barrels from other sources..now I have heard they make their own barrels...I have been looking at one of the new number 1's in .300 H & H..before I order one, thought I would hear how others find the accuracy of  newer Ruger rifles...

Offline DEACONLLB

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: How is the accuracy of the newer Ruger # 1's????
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2011, 05:11:32 AM »
The newest one I have is a 2002 in 243 and it is the same as the older ones that I have, let the barrel cool for a few minutes and it is fine other wise It starts to move, but after all it is a hunting rifle and you usually only get one shot any way.

Deaconllb
Korean war vet. NRA Member
Fourth fighter wing K14 Kimpo Korea 1952 Fourth but first, the mig killers.
533rd material ,air defense Oxnard AFB 1953-1955
Pastor of the  CBCG-Fellowship group Tulsa Oklahoma.

Offline coop2564

• A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2011, 08:45:20 AM »
I have the stainless 30-06 and it has given me 1.5" with ever bullet I've tried and near 1" with quite a few loads.
Browning Illusion Bow
Omega Thumbhole .50_NEF Huntsman .50
Knight KP1 .243_Custom Rem 700 .308_Browning Safari Bar .300 WSM, Ruger No.1 30-06
Taurus .41 rem mag Raging Bull_S&W M&P 40C_Browning BuckMark .22_Savage 93R .17HMR

Offline Darrell Davis

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2011, 03:01:29 PM »
Don't have a new #1, aaaaaa shucks!, but everyone I've ever had has been a shooter.

I personally like to float and bed the forend, as for a consistant hunting rifle I don't do barrel pressure!

Also like to do away with any and all Alexander Henry forends, by cutting the HUGGGGGGY groove off and setting a nice piece of walnut or ebony in place.

I'm sure that really makes them shoot better ;D ;D , if not it sure does help the looks!

Keep em coming!

CDOC
300 Winmag

Offline cole k

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2011, 01:00:56 PM »
I've bought three No. 1's in the last 6 years. Two were NIB No. 1A and one was used No. 1B.
All 3 shot three shot groups with factory ammo at 100 yards into 1 1/4” groups.
With a little trigger work and handloads all three are MOA or less rifles.

Offline Wyo. Coyote Hunter

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2011, 08:45:56 AM »
 ;) I picked up my #1 in .300 H & H Friday..put a scope on it Sat. and this morning took it out for its first rounds...I had some ammo loaded from another project. So decided to use it...took a few rounds to get close at 25 yards, the moved the target to 100...the first 2 rounds cut one hole...adjusted it to hit about 2.5 inches high and fired three more rounds..those grouped just under 1.5 inches...perhaps when I try the next group, it will be better..usually don't get the very best accuracy after moving the adjustments in a scope, but it looks like this number one will be a good shooter...the stock has some figure, not much but not straight grained either...

Offline parkergunshop

• Contributor
  • Retired Computer Tech, Gunsmithing as a hobby
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2011, 09:29:12 AM »
My Ruger No 1. in 45/70 was purchased in 1990, I replaced the trigger  I have a 3 LB trigger with minimum take-up and worked up the following load.

300 grain Winchester Jacketed Hollow Point,  xx grains of Norma N133, Velocity 2300 FPS, group size .604 inch for three shots at 100 yards.

This is better accuracy than I have gotten with most  Ruger Model 77 bolt actions,  I and others have our doubts about the tolerances on the M77 in particular they seem to have issues with bolt lug contact to the receiver bearing surfaces.  Investment casting an action  is not as precise as machined actions from my and other viewpoints.

On average I would say that the No1's are as accurate or more accurate than the Model 77's.

I believe that in the 1980's Ruger was getting their barrels from Shaw,   Shaw barrels at this time on the bolt actions I worked on averaged close to 1/2 inch 3 shot groups at 100 yds for 3 shots and this included .308 Norma .338 and 375 H&H  and .458 Mags. I don't believe that the barrels were the issue, it lay somewhere else.
U.S. Airforce 1961-1967
Lackland AFB,  Sheppard AFB, Texas
Homestead AFB FLorida, 1962-63 Cuban Crisis
Loring AFB, Maine 1963-1964
AFTAC Alexandria, VA 1965-1967
Air Force Competition Rife Team
NRA Endowment Life Member
National Benchrest Rifle Shooters Association

Freedom is not cheap in any sense of the word.  Only those willing to fight for it will have it in the long run.