Author Topic: What size buckshot for 32 caliber?  (Read 1134 times)

Offline K2

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
What size buckshot for 32 caliber?
« on: December 18, 2003, 01:18:07 PM »
I was going to buy a 36 caliber single shot for target competition (pistol) at 25 and 50 yards.  I then heard that if I went with a 32 I could use buckshot.  Is this true and if so what size buck shot?

Offline Flint

caliber
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2003, 02:42:04 PM »
32 caliber is OO buckshot.  OOOO buck is .38 diameter, if you can find it.
Flint, SASS 976, NRA Life

Offline The Shrink

• A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2003, 04:01:13 AM »
The problem you will run into is that buckshot is hardened, and generally you want pure lead for round balls.  Other than cast or swaged, I don't know a source for pure lead round balls.  

Wayne
Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Offline Gatofeo

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2003, 09:54:14 AM »
Warren Muzzleloading of Arkansas offers a tremendous variety of projectiles --- balls and conicals --- in different sizes.
Check their website at www.warrenmuzzleloading.com
I don't know if I'd go with a .32 caliber pistol for anything beyond 25 yards for target work.
Back in the 1930s, many target shooters got away from the .38 Special and went to the .32 S&W Long. It was found that the .32 was a good round at 25 yards, but at 50 yards it lacked the momentum of the .38 Special bullet to be reliably accurate.
I think firing that tiny .32-caliber ball out to 50 yards --- with consistent accuracy --- would likewise be difficult. I'd suggest the .36 caliber.
Single shot pistols of .36 caliber typically use .350 inch balls.  These are more commonly available, though Hornady makes .310 inch lead balls.
Don't confuse the ball required for a revolver with the ball required for a single shot.
Single shot .32 pistols, employing a patched ball, typically use .310 diameter balls.
Revolvers of .31 caliber require a ball of .320 to .321 inch.
But again, I'd suggest the .36 caliber patched ball for target use and occasoinal plinking.
"A hit with a .22 is better than a miss with a .44."

Offline K2

• Contributor
Thanks for the Info!
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2003, 06:25:45 AM »
Being a newbie has its problems of knowing where to start and wanting to do it "right" which isn't always possible.  I have been told that the 32's are turning in top scores at the big matches in Arizona and Indiana.  The ability to use OO buck should lower the cost of practice as well.  I was hoodwinked a few years ago to shoot at some territorial matches and did well with borrowed equipment firing in the 260x300 range for the three matches combined of 25 yard slow and timed fire and 50 yard slow fire.  Unfortunately the man who got me interested passed away this year and now I must either get my own equipment or move on towards other shooting sports.  I enjoy the laid back pace of the muzzleloader matches and the lack of formality.  

Finding OOOO buck in my area is just about impossible so if I wish to use Buckshot then it looks like my only choice is a 32.  The equipment I was borrowing was in 45 and everyone tells me this has not been competitive at the top levels for many years.  While making it to a national match is wishful thinking at this point, the possiblity does exist so the equipment should be capible even though currently I am not.  

Thanks again!