Author Topic: The ultimate home defense gun, a swivel gun or punt gun.  (Read 3032 times)

Offline bilmac

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (14)
The ultimate home defense gun, a swivel gun or punt gun.
« on: November 21, 2010, 01:42:39 AM »
I have a place in the country and if times get bad I will have to look out for my own. After I get my building complete I expect that there will be places where it would be predictable that a roving gang would appear. I'm thinking that something like the old swivel guns on sailing vessels could be a fight ender.

I would think that such a thing could be a pretty simple build. I would want to fire it with something like a shotgun primer if it doesn't make it too complicated, otherwise a friction primer or even a fuse if is too complicated to do otherwise. What bore size would I need, recognizing that I will have to be able to control the recoil.

Offline keithinvestigations

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: The ultimate home defense gun, a swivel gun or punt gun.
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2010, 03:23:19 AM »
Get an ar-15, mounted guns are not practical and can be used against you if you had to fall back.
"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty."

Thomas Jefferson

Offline hillbill

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2010, 03:30:29 AM »
that sounds like a fun and interesting project. what about tapping the back end of whatever yu make your barrel out of for threads and inserting a inline muzzeloader breech plug set up for 209 primers.then maybe attaching part of the action ,trigger mechanism from a rifle to set the primer off.all mounted on a swivel attached to the heavy built barrel.

Offline JeffG

• Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2010, 07:01:43 AM »
Something like that might be a "One shot deal".  After the first shot, with smoke and flame, that area is going to draw lots of (return) fire.
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff

Offline bilmac

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (14)
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2010, 10:12:27 AM »
Tactically I think Kieth and Jeff are right. I preach myself to never get pinned down. My thought is if a bunch of toughs show up in a place that would be predictable then I could quickly aim and fire the gun, and in the chaos it would create,  grab a rifle and the family and beat feet out the back door.

Hillbill You have an idea there, I don't think I have the ability to cut special threads though.

Offline KABAR2

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2010, 07:43:18 PM »
If the day ever comes that roving gangs make it out to the country the best defense
is not to have the place look like it's a desirable target..... if possible and off the beaten track
camouflage the road leading in so it is hard to find and is passed by, most country homes
won't stand up to an assault being wood structures one Molotov cocktail and your fighting
to not only save your lives but the house also.....  you might think of building a dug out into
a hill some where..... 
Mr president I do not cling to either my gun or my Bible.... my gun is holstered on my side so I may carry my Bible and quote from it!

Sed tamen sal petrae LURO VOPO CAN UTRIET sulphuris; et sic facies tonituum et coruscationem si scias artficium

Offline jmayton

• A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2010, 04:30:23 AM »
I have a friend that built a golf-ball cannon.  Uses a single-shot shotgun action and brass shells filled with black powder.  I'm not sure what charge weight he uses.  It's about 8 feet long and mounted on a tripod.  It'll shoot a golf-ball all the way through a suburban!

Offline GGaskill

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2010, 01:27:29 PM »
A muzzle loading cannon is not my idea of a long term defense weapon.  Maybe set a few in fixed alignments around the property aimed to cover lines of approach and loaded with grape and fired remotely.  Then use the M14 or M16 to clean up the survivors while they are wondering what's going on.
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline hillbill

« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2010, 01:41:10 PM »
A muzzle loading cannon is not my idea of a long term defense weapon.  Maybe set a few in fixed alignments around the property aimed to cover lines of approach and loaded with grape and fired remotely.  Then use the M14 or M16 to clean up the survivors while they are wondering what's going on.
ok hadnt thought of the remote fireing. maybe a string pulley system, or 12 volt solenoid. loaded with buckshot and birdshot or maybe even small chain. would def really make yur opponents think twice and maybe get yu a chance to get the jump on them after the the fire and dust died down. lol

Offline GGaskill

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2010, 11:57:11 AM »
Use model rocket ignitors and electric firing.  Much more reliable.  An old days' version of a Claymore mine.
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline Victor3

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (22)
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2010, 07:22:38 PM »
 Although I don't know how practical it might be in real life, a mounted, multi-barrel, large bore black powder shotgun might be nice to have if bubba and his drinkin' buddies pulled up on your lawn insisting to talk to your Daughter.

I'm thinking maybe three 2" bore x 24" long barrels welded together next to eachother with a musket nipple on top of each. A handle (tiller) could be used to aim it with one hand, and a hammer in the other hand could pop each cap individually.

Loaded with multiple 50 cal lead balls it could sure clear an area in a hurry. As an added bonus, you'd create a substantial smoke screen, a lot of noise, and a hell of a lot of 2nd thoughts and confusion in the minds of any survivors still thinking about advancing...
"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly, one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts."

Sherlock Holmes

Offline Mohawk

« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2010, 10:29:40 AM »
Pinned down? behind solid cover you are protected provided 911 is called. 12 ga and a cell phone does nice. If no cell service is available you are still fine.

Offline fat tony

• Avid Poster
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2011, 11:50:33 AM »
these sort of fixed devices were used as far back as the 18th century and possibly before. They are considered something called a: "fougasse" some of them fired jelled flame fuels powered by black powder lifting charges (Korea, Vietnam), and historically, I had read that in Malta,  massive stone fougasses were constructed literally on cliffsides and hillsides near likely enemy invasion beaches. All the defenders had to do was keep some glass on the beaches and close vessels offshore disembarking troops and set these babies from hell off, which would rain down good sized stones on the men and ships. I have heard they are still finding them today, they often had as much as a hundredweight of black powder to propel the stones out.  I have also seen a reprint of a manual written by a British officer around the beginning of WWII, perhaps for the Home Guard, where he mentioned waterproofed devices set off with electric squibs. They would be almost as deadly as a Claymore mine imo.
"I am a Canadian, free to speak without fear, free to worship in my own way, free to stand for what I think right, free to oppose what I believe wrong, or free to choose those who shall govern my country. This heritage of freedom I pledge to uphold for myself and all mankind."

John Diefenbaker, July 1, 1960

Offline fat tony

• Avid Poster
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2011, 11:51:42 AM »
sorry double tap.
"I am a Canadian, free to speak without fear, free to worship in my own way, free to stand for what I think right, free to oppose what I believe wrong, or free to choose those who shall govern my country. This heritage of freedom I pledge to uphold for myself and all mankind."

Offline S.S.

« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2011, 02:57:55 PM »
A few well placed gallons of gas with tannerite targets attached
would be more effective I think. Make crispy critters out of a few of
them and the others would think twice about approaching.
Kind of a poor mans Boo Gas. just don't miss the target.
Vir prudens non contra ventum mingit
"A wise man does not pee against the wind".

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2011, 12:51:25 PM »
http://www.fnherstal.com/index.php?id=658

no more unwanted salesmen bothering you, sure beats a punt gun..... 

"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline drdougrx

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2011, 04:55:04 PM »
Geez MSP...any chance of gett'n one of these from Four Seasons???
If you like, please enjoy some of my hunt pics at:

http://public.fotki.com/DrDougRx

If you leave a comment, please leave your GB screen name so that I can reply back!

Offline diggler1833

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Contributor
« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2011, 12:00:40 PM »
The first response (and third) is probably the best advice you can get on this subject.  On top of getting a good/proven battle rifle, a good class or two on shooting and maneuvering would be your best bet.

Without going too much into tactics I can tell you that one guy who knows what he is doing with a rifle can be a real pest.  But a coordinated attack by just a few others who know what they are doing will almost always succeed.  This is some serious mall ninja stuff getting posted here.

After reading some of these posts, I'm a firm believer that there are more tin-foil hat wearers in this world than I had previously imagined.

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2011, 02:53:00 PM »
drdougrx, if we had one of those on the hood or roof of a Humvee we would not get stuck in traffic on the Expressway or on 95 at rush hour would we...<><...:)
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline drdougrx

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2011, 04:10:39 PM »
MSP....I'm a Rte.1 S to the Tobin to Leverette to Storrow to the Fenway to Longwood Ave kinda guy....wish I drove a plow........that'll move'm!

If you leave a comment, please leave your GB screen name so that I can reply back!

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2011, 09:40:52 AM »
Brings back the old day's drdougrx. I did my undergrad work in Boston and had an apartment on Beacon Hill and another near Mission Hill. I spent many lanquid spring, summer, and fall days on the Fens studying while lying on a blanket. Later as a Trooper I was involved in controlled buys of illicit drugs in many of the same areas. Ah the memories. We also did some intervention and pharmaceuticals out of our office but I'm sure we never met back then ;).
We had a bit of firepower if needed but nothing like what is depicted in the above link....<><....:)

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2011, 09:57:30 AM »
Bilmac, think big gun for waterfowl hunting. The kind they strapped to a skiff . Some in the later days were made from pipe . Larger pipe was slid over smaller pipe and the voids were filled with lead. They shot pound and a half of shot in the bigger bores . A pound and a half od 00 buck would sure be an attention getter  ;D most use a grease fitting drilled out with a musket cap and small hammer on the pipe guns. Get a copy of " Outlaw Gunner" goes into detali about the building of these guns .
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline no guns here

« Reply #22 on: March 14, 2011, 11:21:06 AM »
Might be out of your price range but I think this would be a heck of a deal.

http://www.usarmamentcorp.com/index_gatling_gun.php

Would definitely give a marauding gang something to think about especially if you constructed some "kill zone's" with well placed tree's, landscaping, brush and retaining walls.

It's heavy but you could mount in on a large wagon and pull it around if needed.

NGH
"I feared for my life!"

Offline drdougrx

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #23 on: March 14, 2011, 03:52:34 PM »
A gatling gun!  Now we're talk'n!!!

Offline fat tony

• Avid Poster
« Reply #24 on: March 15, 2011, 09:22:02 AM »
After making it through almost a half century without getting into too much trouble,  ;D I think I have what it takes to think critically.  :P When I have to 'watch what you say boy' for fear of who might be lurking over my shoulder, I would say the game is over. Best regards, all. ;)

Of course something like this is probably not going to be necessary, but there is nothing wrong with reliable knowledge.  ;)

Offline semperfi1970

• Avid Poster
« Reply #25 on: April 09, 2011, 07:27:22 AM »
How about keep it simple and train the whole family to very proficient with a 12ga loaded with 00buck.  Imagine 4 or 5 12ga's touching off 00buck at you, I think I would turn and run if I wasnt blown to shreads. If you have the luxery of asphalt or concreate aim 00buck 5 feet infront of the aproaching enemy, better than a strait on shot. As soon as one mentions roving gangs all I hear is roving punks that need a group to be strong, dwindle the #'s and dwindle the strenght and will to seige. A rifle is great for defence, but a rifle is a long range weapon and how does one tell friend from foe at long range?

Offline no guns here

« Reply #26 on: April 15, 2011, 07:41:20 AM »
The FOE is on my property or armed or trying to conceal themselves or advancing in numbers or dispersing to gain a tactical advantage.  At that point it is best to engage at long range to keep them at bay or to thin the herd or to enable FRIENDS to gain a tactical advantage.

NGH
"I feared for my life!"

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #27 on: April 15, 2011, 07:48:46 AM »
semperfi1970, why take out ankles ? Any fight that needs fighting needs to be a real defensive shooting not a maming.
If ya can see it ya can hit it !