Author Topic: Getting a new scope  (Read 702 times)

Offline YoteAddiction

• Trade Count: (0)
Getting a new scope
« on: April 17, 2011, 08:32:58 PM »
I'm looking at getting a 6x fixed power scope with at least a 38mm bell,  I'm actually looking at getting either vortex crossfire or a weaver k.  Does anyone out there have any experience with either of these scopes?  The crossfire is slightly less, and free shipping, but neither are expensive.  If you guys have any other noteworthy 6x (or possibly 8x) scope mentions I'm willing to listen, but I don't want to cross much over the 200 dollar line.

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
Re: Getting a new scope
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2011, 04:18:29 AM »
I am a firm believer in buying the best glass you can afford. This is regardless of the firearm its to be mounted on. After all, why buy a scope, unless its to see better so you can shoot better. Right?

I suggest you look on our classifieds and maybe EBay for a used Leupold scope. I have one Leupold M8 6X and its a very nice scope. It's available used for under your price point.

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline YoteAddiction

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2011, 08:59:37 AM »
i definitely agree, more or less, lol.  I understand the get what you pay for idea, and even with the limited knowledge of scopes I have (just started using them summer of last year) I have seen a real difference between price ranges of scopes, but for instance, the Bushnell Elite 3200 Tactical I bought is a very nice scope, with a price tag of 199.  However I hadn't even thought of buying used. I could just save for a little longer too  ::)

Offline YoteAddiction

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2011, 09:04:15 AM »
And there are several Leupold M8 6X on ebay right now for less than 300, which doesn't sound like a half bad idea at all.... I don't even need it RIGHT now, so saving a little more isn't even that big of a problem.

Offline YoteAddiction

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2011, 09:13:21 AM »
triple posting, nice..... with a just a little more looking around i found a Leupold FX-II 6x36mm for quite a bit under 300 new and sealed at a store, soooo.... I think I found my scope

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2011, 11:03:24 AM »
LOL  thats good!!

I haven't had a Bushnell 3200 since right after they came out.I have read of many happy owners.  They where a nice scope and I'm sure only got better. Its a nice price too!

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline 351 power

• A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2011, 02:11:40 PM »
sounds like you found a good one. just a note i did get a weaver 6x this winter and have found it to be great
every day is a gift. use it well

colour is a symbol of where you are from and not of who you are

Offline YoteAddiction

« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2011, 09:12:22 AM »
well I have heard a ,lot of good things about weaver and vortex both, just figured I would ask around and see if anyone had some personal experience because they are pretty good looking scope

Offline Maccool

« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2011, 02:36:16 PM »
I have a vortex viper but mine is 2-7x32 and it is nice, I haven't had any issues with it, nice , clear and bright. I've heard that they are close to the bushnell 4200 series but I haven't had any experience with that bushnell. It was one of the discounted ones that are being discontinued and on sale for $150.