Author Topic: How You Carry  (Read 890 times)

Offline Spirithawk

• Trade Count: (1)
How You Carry
« on: April 15, 2011, 02:58:22 PM »
As much thought should go into how you carry as goes into the decision to carry. A weapon that you can't grab quickly when needed could get you in serious trouble. For instance, many women carry a pistol in their purse. Not much good if they have to unzip their purse and fish around for it. Same with a man that carries in a place hard to get to fast. When I walk to and from my vehicle, or am just walking in general, my hand is never far from my gun which is in a Fobus holster on my belt covered by an untucked shirt. If I even suspect trouble my hand will be resting on the grip ready to draw but still covered by my shirt tail. In colder weather I even wear a coat with a pocket cut out where I can rest my hand on the grip unseen. Might seem paranoid to some but fact is when you are confronted by someone wishing to rob you or do you harm the faster you can get your weapon into action the better.

Offline williamlayton

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: How You Carry
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2011, 03:12:09 PM »
90% of the time--just in my waisteline, sans a holster.
The new rig woks real well on the large framed Smiths I tend to carry these days.
No one really has a fast draw rig. It takes a steady hand to get to mine and it aint quick.
If i know there will be trouble it will be me they have to draw on.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline Spirithawk

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2011, 03:22:13 PM »
90% of the time--just in my waisteline, sans a holster.
The new rig woks real well on the large framed Smiths I tend to carry these days.
No one really has a fast draw rig. It takes a steady hand to get to mine and it aint quick.
If i know there will be trouble it will be me they have to draw on.
Blessings

Did you ever find a holster you like?

Offline theoldsarge

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2011, 09:30:58 PM »
For my winter coats, used to just carry in the right outside pocket.  My carry at this time is a Bersa .380 DA/SA, it's 100% reliable.  Four spare 7-round magazines go in the left pocket, I'll be getting two more soon - which, with one round in the chamber, will mean I will have 50 rounds available.  But the pocket is very awkward to get it out of in a vehicle.  The jackets have an inside left pocket, so that is where it is carried now, easily available. 
For warmer weather I wear a denim vest I converted to concealed carry, and a light jacket over it.  In warm weather I wear the vest over my shirt. 
Originally I was going to buy a concealed carry vest, until I saw the prices.  Then cut a back pocket off a pair of old jeans and was going to sew that on the left inside of the vest, but then the threads would show, and it would have been a lot of work.  So that's when I had a stroke of genius.  Glue the steenkin' pocket it.  I'd already tested the glue idea in repairing a torn shirt, and it works fine.  I used Titebond II wood glue.  Put a whole lot of glue around the outside edge of  the pocket and pressed it in place.  Put some weight on the glue lines for a bit, then let it set overnight to set.  And it works just great.  I've read threads in various forums where people are afraid their piece will 'imprint' if carried in a pocket, well no problem on that for me, because it doesn't.  I have not washed the vest yet, but have tested this on the shirt I repaired.  Just toss it in the washing machine, wash.  When it is finished the glue is very weak and the patch will easily pull off, so don't touch it.  You can press it back if you do mess with it tho, then just toss it in the dryer.  When it comes out of the dryer the glue seems to be back to original strength.  Now I'll see if I can find a picture of the vest.  OK, did.  If the vest flops open the pistol is completely out of sight and the pocket is very difficult to see, so no worry about someone freaking by seeing a holstered gun, and it's accessabilt in or out of a vehicle.  It's as handy, or handier, than a shoulder holster, and I find it a lot less bother.  The spare magazines are carried in the left outside pocket, nicely to hand also.  Works for me.
I glued a strip along the top of the pocket, to raise it a bit, make it a bit deeper, and to strengthen it a bit.  I've been using it for I guess at least a year with no problems whatsoever.
Theo - Located just east of Raleigh, NC, USA
It ain't what you're told, it's what you know. - Granny Weatherwax

Offline alacharger

• Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2011, 02:24:46 AM »
On my motorcycle, I carry in the inside pocket of my vest.  If I want to go without a jacket or cover shirt, I use an ankle holster for a .38 snub and a pocket holster for a LCP.  With cover, I carry near the kidney position with a Bianchi Carrylock holster.  Two magazines on the off side. 
Approach every man with a smile on your face and homicide in your heart. 

D.A. "Jelly" Bryce

Offline PAHUnter04

• The Hunters Hut
  • Avid Poster
    • The Hunters Hut
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2011, 06:58:51 AM »
I carry differently for different occasions. I also conceal carry a variety of hand guns. BUT... I usually try and carry accessories if you may. This is JUST my (3) main carry items, well most of the time anyways.  ;) (1) Handgun and & holster for occasion. (2) A Kershaw spring assisted knife, usually 3 in blade and clip on one side. (3) A Surefire Flashlight, with at least 100 to 200 lumen's, also usually with a clip.

Now if I am at the Lakehouse, it is a .44 Mag 4 in. S&W 329PD, Galco hip holster, bigger strap on blade, and SF Exec. EL1 Flashlight. Usually on back trails, with some big Blackies, some time even poachers. On our exercise walk around the neighborhood at home, .380 Ruger LCP, Kershaw Leek blade, SF Defender. If into the city for a few hours, a Kahr PM9 in 9mm, IWH holster and Kershaw Leek blade, same SF Defender flashlight. If I feel a little more insecure it's my .40 cal Glock 27, IWB holster, SF Defender LED flashlight and a clip on blade.  I very rarely carry my Colt 1911 .45 ACP custom combat elite, just to damn big any more.  :P

Pratice with your weapon of choice, and be prepared.

Regards PAH.
The Hunters Hut
Firearms Sales & Accesories
PAHunter04... The Head Hunter... Jim P
email: headhunter-1@hotmail.com