Author Topic: Harris 1A2 Bipod fitting to Handi-fore arm  (Read 714 times)

Offline Land_Owner

• Global Moderator
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (31)
    • Permission Granted - Land Owner
Harris 1A2 Bipod fitting to Handi-fore arm
« on: April 10, 2011, 03:10:07 AM »
I have the referenced bipod, want to use it on my .223 bull barrel Handi-but feel foolish because I can not figure out how it is supposed to attach to the fore arm sling stud?  Here are some photos (what am I missing?) BOTTOM; FRONT; BACK; and TOP (supported vertically by 15# hand weight):

Offline revbc

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (94)
    • NewLife Worship Center
Re: Harris 1A2 Bipod fitting to Handi-fore arm
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2011, 03:48:17 AM »
Really can't help you with the attachment of the bipod.  (Never used, attached one).  Just wanted to caution you on, I guess the handling of it after attachment.  I think I read in some older posts to be careful with the extra weight attached to the forearm nut, it is just spot welded on.

PS: Great job getting those teenage boys to the range (other post) :)

Bobby

Pastor, NewLife Worship Center
(Retired) Automotive Technology Instructor, West Feliciana High School
Avid Shooter, Hunter, Fisherman and owner of Handi Rifles

Offline Ron 1

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2011, 03:49:39 AM »
on all of mine there are two lil finger things that stick up thru the middle  and tighten with a screw from the bottom (in the third photo it looks like they are missing) i would go as far as to say there are parts missing   :o

rw              sorry it is the fourth pic
A man with a briefcase can steal millions more than any man with a gun. - Don Henley

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2011, 03:56:23 AM »
Yup , your missing the attachment part!!

I don't have pic here but can post up later if you need it.

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline bikerbeans

• Trade Count: (168)
  • BANDIT - North American Snake Hound
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2011, 04:07:56 AM »
you might need to add some weight in the stock to help balance that 15# dumbbell hanging off the barrel stud! ;D

BB
RIP Tom: Tom Nolan, ( bikerbeans) passed away this afternoon (02-04-2021).

Why be difficult, when with a little extra effort you can be impossible?

Wife's Handis;  300 BLKOUT

MINE:  270W, 308x444, 44 Bodeen, 410 shorty rifled slug gun, 445 SuperMag Shikari, 45 ACP shorty,  45-70 Shikari, 45 Cal Smokeless MZ, 50cal 24" SS Sidekick, 50 cal 24" Huntsman, 50 cal 26" Huntsman, 50 cal 26" Sidekick, 50-70 Govt Shikari, Tracker II 20 ga shorty, 20 ga VR Pardner, 20ga USH, 12ga VR NWTF, 12ga Tracker II shorty WITHOUT scope, 12ga USH, 10 ga  Pardner Smoothbore slug gun & 24ga Profino Custom rifled slug gun.

Offline Land_Owner

• Global Moderator
  • Moderators
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2011, 04:32:39 AM »
BB,

Another "crippling grasp" of the glaringly obvious.  I like it.  The dog's "grin" in the avatar says it all.

======================================
Great reminder revbc.  Was not thinking of using that screw, but the fore arm swivel nut is just threaded into the plastic and it would not take much to "wrench" that off and leave a nasty scar.  Here's a link of someone else's modification to strengthen their rifle's swivel - and I don't know whether a Handi-fore arm can take that kind of modification?  http://www.dighawaii.com/ProjectsPage/Harris%20Bipod%20Installation.htm

As in all gifts, don't look too closely. 

Now I need to purchase an attachment thing-a-ma-gig... http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=404111  Would this fit a Handi?

Offline Land_Owner

• Global Moderator
  • Moderators
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2011, 04:33:39 AM »
Pic of MidwayUSA Harris Bipod swivel linked above...the one I think might work.

Offline slowr1der

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2011, 08:32:06 PM »
Yep, as said you are missing some parts. It should be a piece on there where two pieces go up through that hole and hook onto the sling swivel stud. Then there is a screw you can tighten down to pull these pieces tight to hold it on tight. Looks like you are missing the whole mounting assembly.

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2011, 02:33:23 AM »
I totally forgot to post pics for you!!  SORRY MAN!!  :-[

This last one is a little video clip...  ;D

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline Land_Owner

• Global Moderator
  • Moderators
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2011, 03:46:43 AM »
Dang.  There is a whole LOT to the attachment that I am missing, as in the pincher clamp thingy with the twin posts that engage the swivel stud, and the hinged whatchamacallit with the integral tightening screw.

That is a lot (including the possibility of torque stress through the bipod legs) to hang from a Handi-synthetic stock swivel screw without some form of inner "grip" to spread the load.  The course threads of the swivel crew are not going to handle that stress.

thanks CW...that is a good video.  I have achieved "Technology Overload" and not learned how to do or post video.

Is there a "forward" and a "reverse" for mounting a bipod?  Can the retracted legs face either toward the muzzle or toward the butt stock?  Is one way wrong or right?

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2011, 04:35:57 AM »
While they would work in either direction... You want them to be fold-able forward. Otherwise positioning on the bench or ground will cause the legs to fold on you.

I bought one one time with out this part. Harris was able to get me the parts quickly and easily. I would get ahold of them directly. I'm sure they will hook you up!

CW

NRA LIFE Member 

Offline Land_Owner

• Global Moderator
  • Moderators
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2011, 04:44:42 AM »
While they would work in either direction... You want them to be fold-able forward. Otherwise positioning on the bench or ground will cause the legs to fold on you.

Now that I see it written, that makes total sense.  The bipod legs are spring loaded.  Shouldering the weapon and putting forward force into the bipod legs for stability would fold rear folding legs in a heartbeat.