Author Topic: Summer project: Looking for a beer-can size howitzer!  (Read 981 times)

Offline Federov-Fox

• Trade Count: (0)
Summer project: Looking for a beer-can size howitzer!
« on: April 17, 2011, 09:03:13 AM »
Friends and I have gotten into black powder pretty heavily, and it's so much fun.   Buddy has one of those Traditions "Mini Old Ironsides" and we probably shoot it more than our Enfield or cap and ball revolvers  ;D  I've always been into cannon and mortars, pre 1900's.

Anyway, I finally got a little wood working area setup and tools (And money!) and thought a good summer project would be to build up a nice little howitzer, big enough to shoot a beer can or zinc ball.   Most of the fun is going to be building up a carriage, implements, and of course shooting it!

I wanted to pick the expertise of the members here in pointing me in the right direction of someone who produces a nice size barrel.   I did find HMR Cannons ( http://www.hmrcannons.com/Products.html ) who make a decent size barrel for what I want to do, though I'd like it a tad bit longer, but their prices are about the bottom end of what I'd like to spend.

Is there any other places that members could point out as a source for a barrel?   Thank you in advance  :D

Offline armorer77

• GBO Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (8)
  • A Real Regular
Re: Summer project: Looking for a beer-can size howitzer!
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2011, 09:29:12 AM »
I am building longer barrels now . I guess I need to raise my prices , no one belives until they buy one . Ed

Offline Mike H.

• Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2011, 10:35:14 AM »
Or perhaps add all your new stuff to your web site. Sounds like you've got new toys to offer.

Offline JeffG

• Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2011, 12:00:56 PM »
no one belives until they buy one . Ed

Wow that's the truth!! 8)
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff

Offline BoomLover

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2011, 12:22:57 PM »
 :) Ed, don't raise your prices, I agree with Mike H., just add the rest of your great stuff to your web site! I'm still looking for that special one, you displayed it a couple of weeks ago on the forum, but hasn't reached your web site yet... :o (oh, wait, let me go check again!) BoomLover
"Beware the Enemy With-in, for these are perilous times! Those who promise to protect and defend our Constitution, but do neither, should be evicted from public office in disgrace!

Offline seacoastartillery

• GBO Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (1)
    • seacoastartillery.com
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2011, 02:38:42 PM »
  Federov-Fox,   If you do just these four things you will get more of a response from people who can make many different styles of cannon.

First,  Decide the style you want.  Example: 1857 Napoleon Gun-Howitzer,  used extensively by both sides during the Civil War.

Second,  Decide what scale you want.  It seems you know that already, because a beer can howitzer needs to be drilled or bored to 2.665" if you go by the 1/40th rule.  2.60"(beer can O.D.) / 40 = .065"( amount of windage) + 2.60" = 2.665"(bore size).  To get the scale from the bore sizes, you divide the beer can bore size by the original Napoleon bore size:  2.665" dia. / 4.62" dia. = .577 or the beer can bore is 57.7% of the original.  Just about everyone would round that to 50% and call the resulting gun one-half scale.  So, if you have someone build a "Stand-Off Scale" gun, they could take the over-all-length of 72" and divide that in half to get 36" total length with a bore length of one-half of the original which was 65", yielding a beer can bore 32.5" long.  You could apply the same type of calculations to any one of a bunch of shorter length cannons too.
     Take the 12-pdr. Howitzer for example.  It was 53" long, so 1/2 would be 26.5" with a 20" bore.  the weight was 788 Lbs. originally, so a one-half scale replica would be 98.5 Lbs.     Take the divisor in the scale of 1/2 which is 2 and cube it 2x2x2=8 and divide the original weight of 788 Lbs. by 8 which yields a replica weight of 98.5 Lbs.  So the gun and carriage would weigh only 180 to 220 pounds total.  That size and weight is pretty easy to handle with a single friend to help.

Third, examine your ammo options and make sure you are up for creating concrete filled cans or what ever you decide on and make sure you accurately measure the can AFTER it has cured to make sure it has not swelled or that your calculated bore size will accommodate some out-of-roundness in your projectiles.

Fourth,  Make sure your proposed cannon maker knows your upper price limit so he can guide you as to what size and type is possible for that amount.

Just a few suggestions and hints to use or not.  That is strictly up to you.  Good luck with your cannon project; it sounds like a good one.

What type of historical cannon do you like, by the way??

Mike and Tracy

Smokin' my pipe on the mountings, sniffin' the mornin'-cool,
I walks in my old brown gaiters along o' my old brown mule,
With seventy gunners be'ind me, an' never a beggar forgets
It's only the pick of the Army that handles the dear little pets - 'Tss! 'Tss!

From the poem  Screw-Guns  by Rudyard Kipling

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2011, 03:54:33 PM »
Federov-Fox  --

WELCOME to the board!
Lots of toys to play with, pick something that turns you on - and persue it!
Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline Federov-Fox

« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2011, 04:50:26 PM »
  Federov-Fox,   If you do just these four things you will get more of a response from people who can make many different styles of cannon.

First,  Decide the style you want.  Example: 1857 Napoleon Gun-Howitzer,  used extensively by both sides during the Civil War.

Second,  Decide what scale you want.  It seems you know that already, because a beer can howitzer needs to be drilled or bored to 2.665" if you go by the 1/40th rule.  2.60"(beer can O.D.) / 40 = .065"( amount of windage) + 2.60" = 2.665"(bore size).  To get the scale from the bore sizes, you divide the beer can bore size by the original Napoleon bore size:  2.665" dia. / 4.62" dia. = .577 or the beer can bore is 57.7% of the original.  Just about everyone would round that to 50% and call the resulting gun one-half scale.  So, if you have someone build a "Stand-Off Scale" gun, they could take the over-all-length of 72" and divide that in half to get 36" total length with a bore length of one-half of the original which was 65", yielding a beer can bore 32.5" long.  You could apply the same type of calculations to any one of a bunch of shorter length cannons too.
     Take the 12-pdr. Howitzer for example.  It was 53" long, so 1/2 would be 26.5" with a 20" bore.  the weight was 788 Lbs. originally, so a one-half scale replica would be 98.5 Lbs.     Take the divisor in the scale of 1/2 which is 2 and cube it 2x2x2=8 and divide the original weight of 788 Lbs. by 8 which yields a replica weight of 98.5 Lbs.  So the gun and carriage would weigh only 180 to 220 pounds total.  That size and weight is pretty easy to handle with a single friend to help.

Third, examine your ammo options and make sure you are up for creating concrete filled cans or what ever you decide on and make sure you accurately measure the can AFTER it has cured to make sure it has not swelled or that your calculated bore size will accommodate some out-of-roundness in your projectiles.

Fourth,  Make sure your proposed cannon maker knows your upper price limit so he can guide you as to what size and type is possible for that amount.

Just a few suggestions and hints to use or not.  That is strictly up to you.  Good luck with your cannon project; it sounds like a good one.

What type of historical cannon do you like, by the way??

Mike and Tracy

Thank you for the information!   I've lurked here for quite awhile and found a lot of great information.   I've always been into artillery and cannon, specifically pre-Victorian and can remember annoying my father by demanding to pull over whenever I saw a cannon, and dragging him all over Gettysburg. 

I've also read a great deal about Medieval cannon, specifically have a love for organ-guns, and other odd European stuff.   The big cannon are fun, but I do have special place in my heart for the smaller ones, from Washington's 2pdrs at Trenton to the Robinets of the English Civil War.  (The latter is a project I do want to build up and I think I have a recent photograph of one in England).

Back in College, I took a lot of woodworking and metal smithing classes, with a spattering of blacksmithing, though I can't yet cast up a barrel, I could certainly put together a carriage with enough time and creativity.   

I have thought about half the fun being casting up round shot, or pouring up loaded cans of Portland, and I guess I have a good thing going with the strip mine being 2.5 hours away, so I have a lot of time to spend making sure everything's squared and up to date.  But most of all I love learning more about this hobby.   ;D

Ultimately, I'd love to have a 10pdr Parrot or 3" Ordnance rifle, but I guess we all have to start somewhere.

I guess right now, I have a itch to scratch and really want to get into the hobby good and proper  :)

Offline dittles

« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2011, 06:39:52 PM »
Ed don't raise your prices! I should be receiving one of your G.B. Parrots shortly. I agree with the rest about updating your web sight.  I now have a buddy that's interested in your work and I am also thinking of a Can Mortar to go along with my G.B. Parrot.