Author Topic: garmin etrex  (Read 1034 times)

Offline drags

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
garmin etrex
« on: April 17, 2011, 08:03:16 AM »
I bought an garmin etrex venture hc, I want to use it for hunting (mark where I park and get me back there) but I am having trouble setting it up. I have used a backtracker but it will only store 3 locations. Can anybody help me?
Joe

Offline Siskiyou

Re: garmin etrex
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2011, 08:50:57 PM »
The Venture HC is designed to save 10 Tracks, 500 Waypoints, and 50 Routes.

You caught me on the right day because I got back from a hike a few hours ago. 

Just in case you do not have a manual here is a link to your manual.

http://static.garmincdn.com/pumac/eTrexLegendHCx_OwnersManual.pdf

Not sure what you want to do, do you want to create a waypoint at your vehicle and one at a stand out in the woods and be able to find your way back to them.

Or do you want to create a Track and then back track on top of that to your stand or vehicle?

Normally I create a waypoint where I park so I can find my PU in the dark.  I also create waypoints at potential stands and other areas of interest.
Page 20 of the manual explains how to Back Track on a track you have created and saved.

I normally navigate to a waypoint I have created.  As I get ready to depart my vehicle I create a Waypoint for example I will call this one PK4 for Park.  When I am ready to hunt back to my rig I go to the Find Menu on the etrex or the Main Menu on other Garmin Units.  You will find a Waypoints Icon.  Select the Waypoint Icon, and from the dropped down select the waypoint you want.

I will follow up with Tracks and Track Back.

When you refer to storing three locations are referring to Tracks or Waypoints? :)

There is a learning process to effectively using a gps.  Do not throw your compass and map away!

Boycott: San Francisco, L.A., Oakland, and City of Sacramento, CA.

Offline drags

• Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2011, 03:16:57 AM »
When I said storing three waypoints that was for the bushnell backtracker that I have, I should have been more clear. What I would like to do right now is to mark my location when I leave my truck and go hunting and when I want to return to my truck the etrex would direct me back. I would like to do more as I get more fimiliar with the etrex. Thanks for the help, I hope I can ask somemore question as I use the etrex.
Drags

Offline Glanceblamm

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2011, 04:02:20 AM »
Thanks for the help, I hope I can ask somemore question as I use the etrex.
Drags

You certainly came to the right place with Siskiyou moderating.

Best thing you can do is to practice, practice, practice before getting into the field. Up n down the Street, around the block, and the like first creating waypoints and then putting them into a route if desired. With someone else driving, your etrex will even work great on the road.