Author Topic: Stainless Ultra Hunter with Thumbhole Stock  (Read 765 times)

Offline UpNorth1984

• Trade Count: (0)
Stainless Ultra Hunter with Thumbhole Stock
« on: April 18, 2011, 05:46:48 PM »
Great Forum.  This is my first post, I do not own any Handi rifles, yet!  My current favorite rifle is a Ruger #1 in 30-06.  Love the single shot.  I am looking at the Stainless Ultra Hunter with Thumbhole Stock 45/70.

I have not seen much info on the site regarding this rifle.  Is it not popular, accurate, etc?  I held one a few weeks ago at Jay's Sporting Goods (Michigan).  Any info would be great

Thanks

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline PHATINJUN

• "Seeker of the Red Mist"
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (144)
Re: Stainless Ultra Hunter with Thumbhole Stock
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2011, 06:33:58 AM »
As Tim says he has had one since they first came out. But I think he had the inside track on them and saved his pennies wisely. I also think that most here who have 45/70's and that is about every body would like to have one. But for me anyway they are just on the outer edge of what I want to pay for one. I think if one was to hit the used classifieds here it would be gone in seconds.Unless it was grossly over priced. I know personally I would love to have about a half dozen frames ;D It would be a great grab for a fellows first H&R. I think the all SS also comes in the 444. They are I believe the only 2 that have SS frames all the rest that look like SS are actually Electro Nickle plated. Its just I have had up to 3 45/70's and when I look at needing to have the SS one I always talk my self out of it or something else comes along and I let the thought pass. But there is nothing wrong with them . I say BUY IT. Kurt

Sorry for being rude Welcome aboard!!! Take a week to read our forum you will see why we are all H&R crazy.
Deceased 2/16/24
https://www.dignitymemorial.com/obituaries/machesney-park-il/kurt-heckman-11671764

Sportster17M2,20"Nickle410Tamer,26"410,
WTUTI12ga,WTU25-06,M158 22RemJet, 24"Ultra.204Ruger24"UltraFluted.204Ruger
M157Mannliker.22Hornet,24".223UltraFluted,   24".223Ultra,7X64BrenekkeUltra,22-250AIUltraFluted            7.62x39,22"303Britstub.32H&Rmag, .32303BritstubHuntsman,24" SS.50calHuntsman 58calHuntsman 12gaHuntsman
NEF RevolversSSModel73.32H&Rmag                     Blued Model73.32H&R mag The herd is shrinking!!
                                 "SOLI DEO GLORIA"

Offline gcrank1

• Trade Count: (24)
Re: Stainless Ultra Hunter with Thumbhole Stock
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2011, 08:54:21 AM »
Mine now wears cin.lam. MC stock as I am not a thumbhole guy, and is shooting every cast bullet load I try very well. I did have some FTF issues which should not be a problem on current production models (mine was an early one).
The finish is Matt SS, which is not easy to touch up if you marr it, but it is non reflective which is good for a hunting gun.
I really like the 24" length and it balances between the hands nicely. In fact, I went shopping for a No.1 in SS/lams/45-70 and chose this instead. No, it's not a No. 1, but I like it, and with a cheap, easy stock change it can go from thumbhole to traditional hunter to Buffalo Classic to synthetic and morf character to suit your fancy.
I'm thinking of doing a D/T to install the Williams open sights, too, but with my aging eyes the old El Paso Weaver 3x with the E.Keith range finding reticle is fine.
"Halt while I adjust my accoutrements!"
      ><   ->
We are only temporary caretakers of the past heading toward an uncertain future
22Mag UV / 22LR  Sportster
357Mag Schuetzen Special
45-70  SS Ultra Hunter with UV cin.lam. wood
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974