Author Topic: Uberti QC  (Read 964 times)

Offline BobJ

• Trade Count: (0)
Uberti QC
« on: February 19, 2012, 05:44:13 AM »
Not feeling the love... Have Uberti 1860 Colt Army, 1862 Police, Patron 45 LC. Beautiful things! Love shooting them, but they need some quality control! The 1862 police, the loading lever latch dropped off, it's at the gunsmith. The cylinder hand spring wasn't swaged in, fell out and lost, ordered another. 1860 Army, cylinder hand spring swaged in so tight it broke off, ordered another. The Patron, shoots 7" to left at 25 yd. From reviews at DGW and Graybeard, several others have these exact same probs. Wish they listened to customer feedback. I even talked to the Uberti rep face-to-face. Well, just have to pay to keep them going. What's worse, the local gunsmith has a 4 week backlog, and I usually shoot them once or twice a week.

Was going to buy a US Firearms 45 LC instead of the Uberti, but it cost twice as much for the model finished with black spray paint, and three times as much for the blue/casehardened finish, and a ONE YEAR wait. Well, you get what you pay for! Still, nothing gives me more satisfaction than shooting these 150 year old plus weapons.

Offline AtlLaw

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (58)
  • A good woman, nice bike and fine guns!
Re: Uberti QC
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2012, 07:18:14 AM »
Ahhh!  Second response to you this morning!   ;D  We must be the only ones on the forum.   ;)

I have a Pietta '60 Army.  The rest of my C&B revolvers are Uberti's.  When it comes to QC I will probably not buy another Pietta.

Which is not to say that Uberti doesn't have problems.  I bought a '62 Police and had to send 2 of them back to the dealer.  Neither one was functional in my opinion.  I finally just canceled that order and got a '51 Navy.  Both of my '51 and the '61 Navies have been flawless.

Both of my SAA's have been fine as well, but the newest started developing an indexing problem.  That problem was taken care of when it was sent off for an action job.  Hi-ebber, and day always be a hi-ebber, it to shoots to the left.

My 3d model dragoon is great and I have high hopes for the '51 Richards conversion my FFL just got from the guy I bought it from.

I must admit,though, if I were to ever buy another SAA it would be one from USFA's. 
Richard
Former Captain of Horse, keeper of the peace and interpreter of statute.  Currently a Gentleman of leisure.
Nemo me impune lacessit

Support your local US Military Vets Motorcycle Club

Offline guzzijohn

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2012, 04:17:14 AM »
As you probably know the El Patron is hand tuned and with a trigger job. It is my understanding factory checked for POA sighting. I bought a new El Patron a few months ago and this posted target was my first five shots out the box with Mag-Tech 200gr. I now use my reloads which is a 230gr. with 8gr. of Unique and it shoots this well. If I was you I would be sending yours back for adjustment.
GuzziJohn

Offline His lordship.

• Trade Count: (12)
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2012, 07:12:11 AM »
That is why I got away from the Italian revolvers, sold them all off, ironically the last one I owned an Uberti 1858 Remington, was one of the good ones.  Either they were defective big time new in the box, or something would stretch or break after limited use.  I now have a Lyman Plains pistol, single shot, percussion, holding up fine, but it has few moving parts. ;) 

In every case of their 1873 Colt, the sights are off, that I have read about.  With Italy having big financial problems they mentioned that it is hard to fire an employee in Italy, so I suspect that there are indifferent or incompetant assembly workers putting them to together.  Perhaps they should move the operations to another country with better labor laws.  It has also made me leary of the upper quality Italian shotguns, like the Beretta and Benelli.