Author Topic: Reloading for a auto.  (Read 500 times)

Offline Blue Duck

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
Reloading for a auto.
« on: April 16, 2011, 05:41:27 AM »
I have reloaded for years.  But it was always for bolt action rifles or revolvers.  Any problems loading for auto pistols?  I bought a 9mm auto and was thinking about getting some dies.  I hear all the time about autos being finiky about some brands of factory loads so I wanted to ask about reloading for one. 

Online Land_Owner

• Global Moderator
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (31)
    • Permission Granted - Land Owner
Re: Reloading for a[n] auto.
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2011, 05:54:38 AM »
9 x 18mm is a small-ish case.  There are smaller center fire cases (.380 - I have two, .32, and .25).  Small differences in powder charge contribute to significant change in pressure.  Depending on powder, it is possible to double charge a case.  A progressive press is a "speed loader" for the semi-automatic.  Weighing and loading one-at-a-time is still advantageous over factory retail.  If the load, when fired, seems "just wrong", it is.  Stop, check for squib and obstructed barrel, BEFORE firing a 2nd round. A semi-auto is fun to shoot but it will chew through ammo like none of your bolt guns.

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (67)
Re: Reloading for a auto.
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2011, 06:06:40 AM »
Over the years I have not found the auto rounds to be any harder to load than a revolver round , both are basically a strait walled cartridge , only one has a rim .

As Land Owner said , being small cases , their can be a issue with double charging with some powders and COL can also cause problems depending on bullets used . The auto rounds do tend to do much better with a Taper Crimp as opposed to a Roll Crimp like revolver rounds use .

stimpy
Deceased June 17, 2015

:D If i can,t stop it with 6 it can,t be stopped

Offline shot1

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2011, 06:52:43 AM »
Get you a set of Lee Carbide dies with the factory crimp die. They are the lest expensive and they work very well. The factory crimp die will assure that you case dimensions and crimp will be proper. Pay attention to the COAL given by the bullet makers. I have always found that 6 grs Unique with a Jacketed 115 gr bullet is very accurate and velocity is tops in the 9mm and is what I carry in mine with either Hornady XTP or Speer Gold Dots.

Offline charles p

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2011, 07:54:11 AM »
My experience with 9mm is that I can buy them in bulk about as cheaply as I can load them.

Offline HAMMERHEAD

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2011, 07:59:02 AM »
I've found 9mm fun and satisfying to load for, something I did not expect.
I started with the Lee deluxe 4 die set, and it worked OK, but I upgraded the seater and crimp dies to Redding.
I've had good luck with plated and jacketed bullets. I try to keep my brass all my own, no range pick ups.
My favorite load these days in a Rainier plated 147 RN/FP over SR 7625 in Win or FC brass.
SR 7625 is a nice powder for 9mm, meters very well and has good loading density and shoots clean.
Keep the flaring/expanding to a bare minimum for good bullet tension and crimp just enough to remove the flare or give just a .002" crimp.

Offline calvon

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2011, 09:36:37 AM »
I've been reloading cast in 9mm Luger, .357 Sig, and .40 S&W for ten years with no troubles at all. Since they are small cases and since double charging is possible with some powders, prudence in loading is required. Use a loading block and visually inspect every one before seating the bullets to prevent double charging.

I use Redding taper crimp dies for all three calibers.

One more thing: Getting that last foot of velocity isn't very darn important. Go with a moderate load and search for accuracy, not velocity.

Offline hornady

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Contributor
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2011, 09:41:20 AM »
I reload for several semi – auto pistols, 380 ,9mm, 40S&W,45ACP. Some of these rounds for multiple guns, some do like a little hotter charge than others, and the bullet profile plays a part in function ability.
Some autos just plain don’t like a certain bullet, but as you said this is true with factory ammo as well.
But as with revolver and bottleneck rifle, use good load data, and a little tweaking with the bullet and load and you will not have a problem.

Offline Blue Duck

• A Real Regular
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2011, 05:07:06 PM »
Thanks guys....  I appreciate the tips and input.

Offline GH1

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2011, 09:48:56 AM »
I load quite a bit of .380 Auto, which is similar to the 9mm. Very easy to exceed pressure levels with such a small case, so be aware of that. Also, OAL and bullet profile are much more critical in an auto. A round nose tends to feed best, although I've had success with RNFP and truncated cone.  Oftentimes it's a matter of sorting ut what YOUR particular gun likes.
GH1 :)
I owe my life to an organ donor

Offline Savage

« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2011, 10:42:54 AM »
I load for auto loaders in 9mm/.40/10mm/.45. (Multiple makes and pistol types) With proper sizing, crimp, and attention to COAL, my guns are not particular about bullet profile. I use range brass and load on a progressive. I use Lee dies, including the FCD, which I consider essential when loading mixed brass for multiple pistols. The only problem I have is pulling the press handle fast enough to keep up.
Savage
An appeaser is one who feeds the crocodile hoping it will eat him last,