Author Topic: Range Report / bad chamber  (Read 2374 times)

Offline mikejmarine

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Range Report / bad chamber
« Reply #30 on: April 13, 2011, 09:54:20 AM »
Roger that!    I'm taking everyone’s advice into consideration, but to give me the warm and fuzzy that the rifle is safe to shoot and reload for.   I'll cast the chamber and put this issue to rest.   So unless I find something wrong with the chamber I won’t send it back to them for the second time.  I really appreciate everyone's comments on this and the info provided is definitely second to none.

Offline gcrank1

• Trade Count: (24)
« Reply #31 on: April 13, 2011, 03:42:02 PM »
I use 'telescoping' gauges to measure certain data points in a hole (chamber) and compare against the specs (SAAMI). At the rear of the chamber you can get a good easy read to determine if it is way out of spec or out of round. With that data in hand you are well 'armed' to make a call if need be. If this chamber is not within spec it certainly should not be 'your problem'.
Any machinist and/or gunsmith in your area should have such measuring instruments. If you walk in with the barrel it is a simple check but I would repeat it at least 2, and maybe 3 times.
BTW, if you have to send it in, keep your data sheet, but send a copy, attached to the barrel.
"Halt while I adjust my accoutrements!"
      ><   ->
We are only temporary caretakers of the past heading toward an uncertain future
22Mag UV / 22LR  Sportster
357Mag Schuetzen Special
45-70  SS Ultra Hunter with UV cin.lam. wood
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974

Offline mikejmarine

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #32 on: April 13, 2011, 04:28:08 PM »
roget that... good deal I'll keep that in mind when I talk to the gunsmith this weekend....

Offline jeepmann1948

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (67)
  • San Angelo, Texas
« Reply #33 on: April 13, 2011, 05:31:15 PM »
Another trick for "bad/ oversize/ bulging cases" is to index the case to the same place everytime it is loaded in the chamber. This is very easy to do in a Handi. Just turn the case so the first number on the rim stamp is to the edge of the extractor/ ejector. Many old time bench shooters dis this with a mark on the case to a mark on the chamber but with a Handi it is even easier.Accuracy will be much more consistent and case life should be longer. 
"it ain't what you shoot em with......................
  it's where you hit em "

Offline gcrank1

• Trade Count: (24)
« Reply #34 on: April 14, 2011, 06:08:41 AM »
I had considered that too, and use it often with my moderate and cast bullet loads, but with his rather high intensity .243 he probably will need to full length resize anyway.

Evenso, it is worth a try to partially resize and see how a case will chamber/extract, and if good go with the indexing of headstamp. You just dont know until you try it.
"Halt while I adjust my accoutrements!"
      ><   ->
We are only temporary caretakers of the past heading toward an uncertain future
22Mag UV / 22LR  Sportster
357Mag Schuetzen Special
45-70  SS Ultra Hunter with UV cin.lam. wood
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974

Offline cjrjck

• Trade Count: (70)
  • Contributor
« Reply #35 on: April 16, 2011, 02:32:44 PM »
I have the exact same thing with my 243 Handi. Case bulging due to a slightly oversized chamber (still within specs I am sure). No pressure issues. The one frustrating thing about mine is that I have to fully resize the case to get the action to close tight. I would like to just neck size or partially size but if I do so, the action won't lock up well if at all. My best guess why it that the case bulge is the culprit and to remedy it the sizing die has to reach down far enough to eliminate the bulge. Anyone think of another reason? Just a minor issue. Gun shoots well regardless.

Offline Deerhunter#1

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (84)
« Reply #36 on: April 23, 2011, 02:06:03 AM »
well I got to the range again and after shooting a couple additional factory loads I had terrible results. there were some older more experienced shooters and reloaders that I showed my brass to and they all said something is wrong. They showed me some of there brass that they were shooting out of a ruger #1 single shot and there was no brass bulge. They also showed me the difference in the primers and mine where totally flattened. Though many of you have said that this is normal I have to send it back as my opinion is this needs to be repaired.

Offline dpe.ahoy

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #37 on: April 23, 2011, 07:09:41 AM »
If your primers are flattened with factory ammo, sounds like your headspace is bad.  Case is moved forward, fired, primer backs out a bit, case is pushed back by pressure, primer is reseated and flattened out.  Use the paperclip check shown above and check your case, if it's that bad, you should be able to feel the groove inside.  If you handload, you can eliminate the problem, if you don't, needs to be fixed.  DP
RIP Oct 27, 2017

Handi's:22Shot, 22LR, 2-22Mag, 22Hornet, 5-223, 2-357Max, 44 mag, 2-45LC, 7-30 Waters, 7mm-08, 280, 25-06, 30-30, 30-30AI, 444Marlin, 45-70, AND 2-38-55s, 158 Topper 22 Hornet/20ga. combo;  Levers-Marlins:Two 357's, 44 mag, 4-30-30s, RC-Glenfields 36G-30A & XLR, 3-35 Rem, M-375, 2-444P's, 444SS, 308 MX, 338Marlin MXLR, 38-55 CB, 45-70 GS, XS7 22-250 and 7mm08;  BLR's:7mm08, 358Win;  Rossi: 3-357mag, 44mag, 2-454 Casull; Winchesters: 7-30 Waters, 45Colt Trapper; Bolt actions, too many;  22's, way too many.  Who says it's an addiction?

Offline kennyd

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #38 on: April 23, 2011, 07:15:09 AM »
Flattened primers mean too high pressure.  Either it is a long chamber as stated above, or the throate is too short, or something is making a spike in pressure.  None of mine show anything like that.
just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they are not watching you