Author Topic: Clean burning powder  (Read 477 times)

Offline nova71

• Trade Count: (60)
  • Contributor
Clean burning powder
« on: April 23, 2011, 09:12:19 AM »
I can find data on how fast different powder burn (fastest to slowest) but haven't found anything on which ones are the cleanest burning. The reason I ask I just bought 300 rounds of once fired brass, as I was sorting it I noticed some cases were real clean inside and some were really dirty. Anyone know if there is a list on clean to dirty burning powder? I want to reload as clean as possible. I reload a number of different calibers but this one in particular is 30 Carbine. ............ thanks in advance for any help....... Larry(nova71)
It is better to take refuge in the Lord than to trust in man. Psalm 118:8 (center of the bible)

Handi-List
 204Ruger, 223Rem, 243Win, 30-30Win,450 Marlin, 44Mag, 357Max, 357Mag, 45-70, 20ga Partner, 20ga shorty.

Offline Doublebass73

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (46)
Re: Clean burning powder
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2011, 09:45:02 AM »
I don't reload 30 Carbine but I checked my Lyman manual and it showed some of the same powders I use for 45 Colt and 38 Special used in the 30 Carbine so I'll give you my experience with those.

Unique - accurate but very dirty unless max loads are used.
IMR-4227 - fairly clean but lighter loads leave small leftover granules in the case.
2400 - clean (I've read that it's dirty with light loads but this hasn't been my experience at all.
Lil'Gun - clean

Your mileage may vary.
"Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves."

---- William Pitt (the Younger), Speech in the House of Commons, November 18, 1783

Offline Catfish

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2011, 12:47:09 PM »
I think that looking for a cleaner burning powder is a waist of time. The black that is left by the dirty powders is carbon and will wipe off. It also does not effect accuracy and so far I have not run into a semi-auto that it effected the cycling on. I shoot alot of the dirtier powder because they are what I get my best accuracy with them.

Offline Dand

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2011, 10:08:40 PM »
How clean a powder burns may depend a little on the load and cartridge its fired in, I think. 

Beyond that, some of the newer shotgun and handgun powders are cleaner - I believe the Hodgon Clays series of powders are pretty clean, possibly some of the newer Alliant handgun powders too.  But I'm a bit old school and have an aging powder supply so I use what I have.  H110/ WW296 burns pretty clean in my 41 mag and I think that's a powder for the 30 carbine as well.  You might go to Handloader Magazine and look up their Propellant Profiles articles for 30 M1 appropriate powders and see what they say about them.
NRA Life

liberal Justice Hugo Black said, and I quote: "There are 'absolutes' in our Bill of Rights, and they were put there on purpose by men who knew what words meant and meant their prohibitions to be 'absolutes.'" End quote. From a recent article by Wayne LaPierre NRA

Offline BBF

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • I feel much better now knowing it will get worse.
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2011, 08:52:45 AM »
H-110 and 2400 are "clean"
What is the point of Life if you can't have fun.