Author Topic: RG-G gatling gun  (Read 3496 times)

Offline Victor3

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (22)
Re: RG-G gatling gun
« Reply #30 on: April 20, 2011, 09:29:34 PM »
 Interesting, Dom.

One thing (If I'm understanding your design correctly) that might be a problem with a fixed firing pin machined into the bolt face is that before it fires, there will be a gap (the length of the firing pin) between the 'cartrige-sleeve head' and bolt face. At the moment of firing, the front of the cartrige-sleeve will want to blow back, possibly opening a gap between the rear of the barrel/front of the sleeve. That could cause rapid fouling of the gun. It may also want to blow the primer from its pocket somewhat.

Or maybe not.... If it fires precicely as the bolt face contacts the rear of the sleeve it shouldn't be a problem.
"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly, one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts."

Sherlock Holmes

Offline dominick

• GBO Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (21)
    • Black Powder Cannons & Mortars
« Reply #31 on: April 21, 2011, 04:34:58 AM »
Victor,   I would only try the fixed bolt G-gun with a small caliber.  Blowback is a problem that I am aware of and either the spring has to be strong enough to overcome the ball inertia and keep the bolt in place or the bolt would need a locking mechanism when it's in firing position.  What I didn't mention in the last post was that this design does not have one bolt per barrel like the gatling gun.  It only has one bolt and is similar to the Hotchkiss revolving cannon.  It still uses the cartridge sleeves that drop in a tray behind the rotating barrels.  The bolt is fixed and fires the gun at the 12 o'clock position.  There is an adjustable disc that engages the lower part of the rear of the sleeve and the bolt is clearanced notched.  The rotating disc lays flat in the gun with a slight angle lower in the rear [see side view of enclosed diagram] and is adjustable for headspace.  This set-up also fires one round per revolution of crank.

Black are the barrels, red are the sleeves and blue is the disc.

Offline Victor3

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (22)
« Reply #32 on: April 21, 2011, 07:34:32 PM »
 When can we see a prototype?  ;)

These types of guns are fun to think about. As I found with my design - most simple I could come up with after considering a few - the devil is in the details.

I much prefer bolt action rifles nowadays.  ;D
"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly, one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts."

Sherlock Holmes

Offline dominick

• GBO Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (21)
    • Black Powder Cannons & Mortars
« Reply #33 on: April 23, 2011, 12:46:45 PM »
 Victor,  I'm not sure when I'll get to this one.  I am working on a small scale muzzleloader Hotchkiss revolving cannon and a Dahlgren on a Barbette carriage in my spare time.  I'll post some pics when these are done.