Author Topic: Theortical Ballistics - Tennis Ball Mortar - Zinc Ball  (Read 1283 times)

Offline Parrott-Cannon

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Theortical Ballistics - Tennis Ball Mortar - Zinc Ball
« on: April 23, 2011, 01:09:41 PM »

The drawing defines the measurement used in the program for a tennis ball mortar - in this case one Dom built for me about four years ago.  The interior ballistic program currently makes correct calculation when the chamber is filled with powder.  I still have to introduce the effect of the second dimension caused by the changes in volume as the projectile travels through the barrel for correct calculation of muzzle velocities with load densities less than one. 

I have written 3 programs - one that calculates the ballistic coefficient for the projectile, the second an external ballistic program that calculates the projectile path after it leaves the barrel, and an interior ballistic program that calculates the pressure and velosity of the projectile until it leaves the barrel.

DD requested I ballistic calculations for a Tennis Ball Mortar firing a Zinc Ball.

Mortar Dimensions:

Elevation:  45 degrees

Fuse use for ignition

Bore Length:  6.58 inches
   Bore Dia: 2.68 inches

Chamber Height: 1.45 inches
   Chamber Dia: 1 inch

Frustum Height: 0.56 inches

Zinc Ball:

Dimenter: 2.59 inches
   Weight: 16,100 grains or 2.3 pounds

Powder Charge 250 grains fg:

Muzzle Velocity (Calculated):  242 feet per second (fps)

Calculated Ballistic Coefficient:  0.6502

Calculated Range:  1517 feet  505.7 yards

Powder Charge 250 grains ffg:

Muzzle Velocity (Calculated):  277 feet per second (fps)

Calculated Ballistic Coefficient:  0.6541
   Calculated Range:  1910 feet  636.7 yards

I am currently trying to refine the data for ffg and fffg powder loads if you have velocity data and accurate load and projectile data I would appreciate you consider sharing the information.

Thank you
For a people who are free, and who mean to remain so, a well-organized and armed militia is their best security. (Thomas Jefferson)

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
Re: Theortical Ballistics - Tennis Ball Mortar - Zinc Ball
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2011, 02:14:12 PM »
Thank you sir!!!

I have two of these size mortars and will get you data when I get home.