Author Topic: Ground Blinds vs. Traditional Stands. What changed your mind?  (Read 2590 times)

Offline perklo

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Ground Blinds vs. Traditional Stands. What changed your mind?
« on: November 30, 2010, 06:00:10 AM »
I've noticed a real upswing in the popularity of the highly portable, camouflaged personal ground blind. Walmart carried three models this year for deer season, but only two types of ladder stands!

I've used a couple of blinds and like them; they certainly have come a long way since they were simply camo tents with a couple of zippered windows! I often hunt on public land where putting up a treestand is either illegal or heavily regulated, and a ten pound blind allows me to hunt concealed and take advantage of the daily wind direction. They increase comfort as well. While not totally weatherproof, they cut the wind and repel all but the hardest downpours.

But I'm curious about "why" other hunters chose them over treestands? Also, what features do you look for in a blind, and what price are you willing to pay for a new model?

- perklo

Offline dukkillr

• The Daily Limit
Re: Ground Blinds vs. Traditional Stands. What changed your mind?
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2010, 06:29:25 AM »
I've had very mixed results with ground blinds for deer.  There is no question in my mind that for close quarters and bowhunting they must be brushed in very well or in place for quite some time.  As such, they don't work very well for portability.  When they do work well is when you would otherwise be sitting on the ground.  For instance on the edge of a field overlooking a pasture where most shots are 100-300 yards is perfect.  They are far enough away to not spook the deer and against something that breaks the profile up.  They are also much more comfortable.

They work fantastically for turkeys.

Offline Jal5

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (13)
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2010, 08:54:01 AM »
I've had deer come within 20-25 yds. of my small teepee style ground blind a number of times. they weren't spooked at all and looked right at me but kept on feeding after a few minutes. I haven't killed one from that blind yet but that is more my fault- twigs in the way, etc. both in firearms season and bow season.

Joe
S. G. G. = Sons of the Greatest Generation. Too old to run, too proud to hide; we will stand our ground and take as many as we can with us

Offline Land_Owner

• Global Moderator
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (31)
    • Permission Granted - Land Owner
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2010, 09:23:13 AM »
I spent an afternoon in a ground blind for the first time last season with my son and a "guide" at a State sponsored Youth Hunt.  I was pleased with the result.  Three of us in there, moving a little, talking quietly, sitting on chairs and upended buckets, sturdy rest for the rifle, watching out of the screened windows, not affecting the movement of the deer.

I believe a ground blind not only gives great cover and shields the hunter's movement, it also blocks some distribution of scent.  If the deer are moving you can put up a ground blind fast and easily near their path.  That isn't done with ladder stands.  Perhaps the tree climber boys will chime in too.  I don't use a climber.  I almost always use a ladder though. 

I have been poised to purchase a ground blind.  They have their distinct advantages.  In particular - portability.

Offline Empty Quiver

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2010, 01:03:07 PM »
The few times I have tried them it was due to the deer being primarily away from the woods. Explanation, I could not hunt the land I wanted to, so I sat up where I could and chased the deer where I could not where I wanted.

I think as the hunting population ages climbing is much more trouble. Couple this with the fact that in the recent past blinds were expensive or shoddy. And like everything else the learning curve on how and where to place them for good results.

Lastly, about all of us have a few treestands and really don't need another. But sometimes we would like to try something different, and have a few dollars that aren't spoken for. Five years from now they might all be in garage sales.   
**Concealed Carry...Because when seconds count help is only minutes away**

Offline Glanceblamm

« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2010, 05:04:42 AM »
I've had deer come within 20-25 yds. of my small teepee style ground blind a number of times. they weren't spooked at all and looked right at me but kept on feeding after a few minutes

watching out of the screened windows, not affecting the movement of the deer.

Ditto and Ditto.

I agree with these but dont really know if it was the reason that I switched around seven years ago. Part of it was because of my age. I stay out all day every time and the rigors of being confined in the tree stand with just pocket food and maybe a small bottle of water were catching up with me. My two man blind (I hunt solo) is like the Hilton with a comforatable seat, duffle bag with sandwiches and snacks, a thermos with coffee, and even a coleman type of heater if needed.

Note: You are not suppose to have a heater in a blind not because of CO, but because of fire hazard. Use care and common sense. You are not suppose to pull your lawn mower back towards you anymore either, perhaps the people who have accidents doing this have no buisness mowing in the first place?

My blind lets me stay out all day. The younger generation of hunters here don't seem to be as hard nosed as I once was as they just hunt dawn & dusk. This can pay-off but those deer do move in between these times.

Offline longwinters

• Moderators
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2010, 04:11:08 AM »
For years we hunted in open ground blinds and sat all day.  I liked it alot; except when it was raining, blizzarding and days with wind chills in the -zero range.  It was impossible to block the wind or keep my, at that time, young boys warm.

Went to the pop up blinds and all those problems were solved.  I miss the "open" experience but thats about it. 

Long
Life is short......eternity is long.

Offline Swift One

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2011, 07:45:09 AM »
I have fallen in love with ground hunting deer.  I have only a few pieces of land that have small pockets of woods.  Mostly fields with tree and ditch lines and surrounding weed patches.  However, bookoo deer tracks. This past season I shot 4 deer and not a single one of them was from a tree stand.  I eaither sit up againts a tree or weed line near the funnel points, or I put up a ground blind up next to the funnel points.  I too get cagey sitting in a trees stand for more than 3hrs.  Even if its a comfortable one.  And i just dont like the idea of nodding off in a tree stand- even though i do wear a harness. And yes, ground blinds and turkey hunting is awesome for getting kids out in the field.  i have never had a turkey lok at a ground blind with suspicion.
It's all a hot mess...........

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2011, 08:14:33 AM »
AGE !  ;)

If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline stubshaft

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Contributor
  • ROA's Rule
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2011, 09:51:03 AM »
There are no trees in the areas I hunt.
If I agreed with you then we would both be wrong.

Offline Ethan

• Avid Poster
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2011, 02:30:45 PM »
You cant beat them for turkeys. But if you are going to use them for deer have them there before season so the deer are used to it being there.
"A good man always knows his limitations”

Offline LanceR

• Contributor
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2011, 04:46:01 AM »
Hello perklo

I view pop-up blinds as just another arrow in the quiver.  Most of my hunting is done here on our home farm and I prefer large two man ladder stands.  We've got over a dozen up at any one time and keep a few in reserve to respond to seasonal variations. 

I've got one strap on stand for crooked trees and a good climber for trips or to react to unusual circumstances.

I buy blinds and stands at pre-Christmas sales or after the season when they are 50% or more discounted.

I have used large pop-up hub style blinds for some years, especially when hunting in ugly weather with our boys.  They are really handy for road  trips.  I have also had good experiences in setting up for deer on short notice by following the usual rules for dealing with wind and sight lines.  My experience is that if I can get the blind above the deer they will likely still see it but for some reason they aren't as concerned as if it is at eye level or below them.

I've had deer stand looking up at the blind from 20-30 yards (within minutes of setting up) and then drop their heads and browse without looking back. 

My experience has also taught me that my background is more important than what is between the deer and me.   A few bushes behind the blind seem to be less spooky to deer than a few bushes in front of the blind.  Maybe when your behind the bush the critter thinks your hiding or they are concerned because the can't see it clearly?

I have also used a layout goose blind to ambush a large buck that kept showing up in the middle of a harvested corn field.  He was popping out of a very sparse brush line in the late afternoon into the middle of the field 2-300 yards from any cover.  We live in a "shotgun only" area in NY so that made him tough to get at.  I went out at 2 PM and set the blind in a shallow fold in the field.  I waited until he had his head facing straight away from me and sat up.  When he turned back he didn't even get enough time to be surprised.  It think the layout blind would work well on turkeys, too.

Lance

Offline GWC

« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2011, 07:02:36 AM »
They are great for physically challenged hunters such as myself, but they really shine when introducing kids to the sport cause you can get away with some movement. Kids just naturally fidget and have a hard time being still when the action lags. The ground blinds seem to help with masking movement and muffling sound to some extent.

Offline mechanic

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2011, 07:55:07 AM »
I use them on public land.  I use a "jake" blind which is just a pop up turkey blind.  No permanent stands are allowed, and a ladder will be gone tomorrow if you leave it today.  I also never know exactly where I will be hunting...."first come first served".

On lease land, I use the ladders, because I really favor shooting "down" as It's inherently safer. 

Whatever works!

Ben
Molon Labe, (King Leonidas of the Spartan Army)

Offline cabledad

• Life Member of the NRA Cable Pioneer
  • GBO Supporter
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2011, 01:31:29 PM »
Hog hunting I like to hunt out in the open at night behind a big light.You put your chair where the wind is right  and the light on a stand in front of you and the corn out 50 yards then wait for the hogs.Of course the weather needs to be ok before you do this.Here in Texas it tends to be warm enough.Chuck

Offline Star1pup

• A Real Regular
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2011, 08:02:42 AM »
I've had good luck from a tent-like ground blind.  I use a folding camp chair and can be comfortable all day.  It also sheds rain and I think actually helps with my scent.  I'm 73 so tree stands are not a good idea for me these days.  I am lucky that I hunt private land so the blind is reasonably safe from theft, although I once had a tree stand stolen from the same property.  I can put the blind up before bow season so the deer get used to it.

Offline Sourdough

« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2011, 09:44:40 PM »
Since Grizzly Bears like to sneak up behind you I want to be off the ground.  No way I am getting in a ground blind, especially when I do most of my hunting alone.
Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Offline Star1pup

• A Real Regular
« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2011, 05:30:09 AM »
Since Grizzly Bears like to sneak up behind you I want to be off the ground.  No way I am getting in a ground blind, especially when I do most of my hunting alone.

Good advice although so far grizzlies have not returned to Ohio.  We are getting more confirmed sightings of black bear and bobcat.  We also have way too many coyotes.  I must admit that I have heard noises behind me where I was blind (pun?) and it made my heart race a bit.  Those darn chipmunks sure make a lot of noise in dry leaves.  ;D