Author Topic: 35's  (Read 1406 times)

Offline flinthead

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Avid Poster
35's
« on: April 23, 2011, 04:09:45 AM »
What was the deal with the Handi 35 Rem and 35 Whelen's FTF issues? What was the fix??
" A single shot rifle and a one eyed dog"

Offline cjrjck

• Trade Count: (70)
  • Contributor
Re: 35's
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2011, 04:18:47 AM »
I have a couple 35 Remington HRs and my son has one as a graduation gift and his cousin and uncle too. Nary an issue yet. Got a couple more on order for more family. Nice timber rifles.

Offline flinthead

• Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2011, 04:22:15 AM »
Sounds good! How do they shoot and what ammo are you guys using?

Offline cjrjck

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2011, 04:28:03 AM »
They all shoot fine. Next to the 30-30, the 35 Rem is becoming the best caliber fit for the Handi in my opinion. It just seems like they belong together. Various factory and some reloading. I like the Speer 180 gr FN and the new 200 grain Hornady Flex tip. Round has a small shoulder area and head spaces off the shoulder so if you reload you need to make sure you do not set the shoulder back too far when resizing or you could have an FTF problem.

Offline flinthead

• Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2011, 04:30:25 AM »
Thanks!

Offline cjrjck

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2011, 04:38:14 AM »
The 35 Rem  is a reloaders dream cartridge as far a versatility. Besides the usual rifle bullets available for the round, all tested over time for the the 35 Rem which they were designed for, there are also a ton of cast bullets available that can be used for everything from light plinking to heavy game. Finally, there are the enumerable 38 caliber (.357) pistol bullets that you can load at various speeds in the 35 Rem. Most for plinking, target shooting, varmints, and light game.

Offline flinthead

• Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2011, 04:59:52 AM »
I'm a factory load shooter... what factory loads have produced the best groups out of your rifles?

Offline cjrjck

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2011, 05:14:18 AM »
Stick with the 200 grain loads. We had good results with the Remington 200 gr CLSP but the new Hornady LeveRevolution 200 grain Flex Tip ammo would be my first choice in factory ammo. A bit faster and flatter shooting and the bullet performs on big game. If you never have gotten into reloading this is a good cartridge to start with. A lot of versatility and over time you will save money. It is also easier than a lot of folks think.

Offline flinthead

• Avid Poster
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2011, 06:15:45 AM »
Cool, thanks for your help!

Offline dpe.ahoy

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2011, 06:42:20 AM »
Yep, 200's are the way to go for factory ammo.  My three 35's aren't Handi's, but they all shoot the Hornady LE stuff into very tight groups.  DP
RIP Oct 27, 2017

Handi's:22Shot, 22LR, 2-22Mag, 22Hornet, 5-223, 2-357Max, 44 mag, 2-45LC, 7-30 Waters, 7mm-08, 280, 25-06, 30-30, 30-30AI, 444Marlin, 45-70, AND 2-38-55s, 158 Topper 22 Hornet/20ga. combo;  Levers-Marlins:Two 357's, 44 mag, 4-30-30s, RC-Glenfields 36G-30A & XLR, 3-35 Rem, M-375, 2-444P's, 444SS, 308 MX, 338Marlin MXLR, 38-55 CB, 45-70 GS, XS7 22-250 and 7mm08;  BLR's:7mm08, 358Win;  Rossi: 3-357mag, 44mag, 2-454 Casull; Winchesters: 7-30 Waters, 45Colt Trapper; Bolt actions, too many;  22's, way too many.  Who says it's an addiction?

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2011, 08:19:09 AM »
What was the deal with the Handi 35 Rem and 35 Whelen's FTF issues? What was the fix??

New improved transfer bar, I think.

Tim

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,216635.msg1099172152.html#msg1099172152
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Antietamgw

• Trade Count: (63)
  • Contributor
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2011, 10:27:31 AM »
I'm glad this thread came up - it's something I've been thinking about. I cast for and shoot .38 Spl, 357 Mag, 35 Rem and .358 Win.  I've always liked the 35 Rem. in my Marlin levergun and am in the process of stretching a 14" 35 Rem contender barrel to make it legal as a carbine. That ought to be a dandy little thing to carry - will see how it hangs shooting offhand.  I'm going to send an SB2 receiver in for a couple factory-fit barrels, just have to decide which 2. It's a tough decision 'cause I can think of 4 that I need...  I demand reliablity from these rifles, both in firing and extraction/ejection. Somebody's dinner might depend on it someday. The earlier FTF problems with both 35's kind of stayed in the back of my mind. I also prefer rimmed cartridges in a single shot though I've not had extraction troubles yet in any modern rifles. I'm glad to hear that the new 35's don't seem to have the problems of the old . Guess I have nothing useful to add but am looking forward to following this thread.

Well, maybe I do - For the past several years I've been using a mild mid-range load for the 35 Rem that has worked well in several rifles but best in the one the load was developed in. I call this an ammo can load - I can load a can of it and know it will do fine in any of my 35 Rem rifles. Over the last 5-10 years, versatility of loads, rifles, trucks and cattle have meant more to me than the "1 trick pony" that only performs when everything is perfect.  I use a 180 gr. cast FN bullet and 12.5gr. Herco. Some guns will handle it without the gas check - some need it. A poly check might do. It pays to tweak this load a little before deciding on the charge you want to use, as the target shows. It may be listed in the Lyman Cast Bullet handbook.  Kid's love it. It's fun and cheap to shoot, fine for paper,cans,small game, even deer in a pinch if you can pick your shot and put it behind the ear or in the spine.

http://s65.photobucket.com/albums/h232/Antietamgw/LEE%20360-180/?action=view&current=360180Marlin35Rem001.jpg
Keep your plow share and your sword - know how and when to use them.

Offline BCall

• Trade Count: (45)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2011, 10:36:21 AM »
If I can ever find one of the 35 Rem/444 Combos, I think I'll cut a rim relief and make 35 Remington rimmed brass from 30-40 krag brass. Rim should eliminate any headspace trouble. Plus, I just like rimmed rounds in single shots, just my preference.

Now if I could just find a rimmed case to make 30-06 and 280 rimmed cases with, I would be set.

Offline Weatherman68

• Trade Count: (3)
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2011, 06:12:50 PM »
I have a 35 Whelen that shot great the first two years I owned it.  Last year when I took it to the range I had 3 FTF in a row.  All three bullets fired on the 2nd or third hit.  So much for using that gun for bear season!! >:(  Beause of the great information passed around on this forum I contacted Remington to see what they would do.  They sent me a box and a shipping label.  The gun went to a repair shop in Illinois and they sent it to Illion because they couldn't fix it.  I was without the firearm for about 4 or 5 weeks but it was packaged very well and when I got it back it look just as good as when I sent it. :)  According to the paperwork they replaced the transfer bar and some springs etc.  I have not had the chance to take it to the range yet. 

I had called the repair shop about the gun after they had it for about 3 weeks to check up on it.  The gentleman I talked to indicated that the "new" transfer bar is just like the old one.  Basically he said that someone tried to improve something that didn't need improving.  Makes no never mind to me as long as it goes bang when it is aimed at "dinner". ;)   
Why is there never enough time to do it right but there is always enough time to do it again?

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2011, 06:27:13 PM »
The gentleman I talked to indicated that the "new" transfer bar is just like the old one.  Basically he said that someone tried to improve something that didn't need improving.  Makes no never mind to me as long as it goes bang when it is aimed at "dinner". ;)

So much for what he knows!  ::) If he was so knowledgeable, why didn't he fix it instead of sending it to Ilion?  ??? Glad ya got it fixed tho.  ;)

Tim

Has there been any of the new style transfer bar, aka lifter striker, pictures posted on here yet?
I don't know if this is one or not but it is considerably different from any of the ones in all the Handi receivers that I presently have.
The usual sloppy pin fit and peened look are absent and the fit is very close, with no wobble at all. The pin is flush on both sides as shown in the view of both sides.
Got this one from Numrich and it was listed as a "replacement". The "original" style was sold out at the time of purchase.

Bill

Looking for some Oregon Reign   ;D

Offline cjrjck

• Contributor
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2011, 04:30:47 AM »
That short, fat 35 Remington case looks more like a modern wildcat than an old workhorse. It really packs a punch out to 200 yards.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2011, 09:37:17 AM »
That short, fat 35 Remington case looks more like a modern wildcat than an old workhorse. It really packs a punch out to 200 yards.

It's even better loaded to modern firearm pressures.  ;)

Tim

Offline handirandy

• GOD, guts, and guns. In that order!
  • Trade Count: (14)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2011, 09:54:21 AM »
Does anyone have these rifles in stock?
This is the day the Lord has made.  I choose to rejoice and be glad in it.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2011, 10:08:53 AM »

Offline briannmilewis

• Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2011, 12:50:14 PM »
...I think I'll cut a rim relief and make 35 Remington rimmed brass from 30-40 krag brass...

That is very creative, never noticed the 1 thou difference at the base of the cases before.

Offline gcrank1

• Trade Count: (24)
« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2011, 02:07:45 PM »
Yes it is! I like the idea, hope you work it up and let us know as you go.
"Halt while I adjust my accoutrements!"
      ><   ->
We are only temporary caretakers of the past heading toward an uncertain future
22Mag UV / 22LR  Sportster
357Mag Schuetzen Special
45-70  SS Ultra Hunter with UV cin.lam. wood
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974

Offline cjrjck

• Contributor
« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2011, 02:14:51 PM »

[/quote]

It's even better loaded to modern firearm pressures.  ;)

Tim
[/quote]

I never even thought to check to see if the 35 Remington could benefit from a strong action. That is cool! I had an extra one I was going to ream someday to 356 Winchester but not anymore! Don't need it. What is even better is that I just happened to have bought some RL 7 and WW 748 powder for other reasons. Now they will be used for my 35 Rem +P!

Offline Papa Jack

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #22 on: April 25, 2011, 10:22:54 PM »
I test fired my .35 Rem last weekend, I didn't have any Jacketed bullets so I loaded up some Lee 158 grn SWC cast from 3:1 Lead/Lino, sized .359" lubed with Bull Shop "Speed Green" no GC.  I used 11 grns of Unique with a little dacron filler..
 I was mainly interested in testing the once fired cases I had sized to be sure they'd chamber and fire form, as I had set the size dies a little short to make sure the shoulders didn't set back.
  I had NO SIGHTS on this barrel....So I just poked the bullets into an old stump,  they all went off and all looked real good. Hopefully next month I can get another scope, too bad I didn't get iron sites....Ohhh well.
 No FTF issues.....
 I plan to do the same with the 35 Whelen, I have a bunch of cases die formed and ready to load, I have a bunch more of the Cast bullets ready to load too, but again, no sights on that barrel either.....
 I need to buy a mould for the .35's now, at $40.00/box for jacketed bullets I don't think I want to waste em plinkin....LOL        PJ
Viet Nam Veteran, 69-70, Troop D (AIR) 3/4 Cav. 25th Inf. Div. CUCHI. Helicopter Crew Chief UH-1H.

Offline gcrank1

• Trade Count: (24)
« Reply #23 on: April 26, 2011, 04:54:53 AM »
PJ, I won't use a Dacron, or any material, as a powder holding wad, but would if it is well fluffed and used as a filler completely between powder and bullet base. There is just too much evidence now of ringed chambers from wads.
Reference 'The Modern Schuetzen Rifle' by C. Dell and W. Schwartz
"Halt while I adjust my accoutrements!"
      ><   ->
We are only temporary caretakers of the past heading toward an uncertain future
22Mag UV / 22LR  Sportster
357Mag Schuetzen Special
45-70  SS Ultra Hunter with UV cin.lam. wood
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974

Offline Papa Jack

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #24 on: April 26, 2011, 07:31:02 AM »
Yes Sir Crank, I did fluff it up, I always pull the fibers apart.....I use it in my .30-30, 45-70 loads along with Cotton balls pulled apart and also Toilet Tissue, I like the Toilet tissue the best. I like the two ply with the plys separated. That makes a good filler and disintegrates  out the barrel.
 I will admit to having pressure issues when using cotton balls in bottle neck cartridges ( .30-30,30-06) I believe caused from not pulling apart the fibers enough, causing a plug to form in the neck. ( My Fault )...I have never had any issues using the TP filler...
 One must always remember to WEIGH the FILLER or WAD along WITH the POWDER CHARGE !!!
I only use a FILLER to hold the powder charge in place between the charge and the bullet base...          "PJ"
Viet Nam Veteran, 69-70, Troop D (AIR) 3/4 Cav. 25th Inf. Div. CUCHI. Helicopter Crew Chief UH-1H.

Offline watkibe

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Contributor
« Reply #25 on: April 28, 2011, 07:35:14 PM »
I have wanted a 35 Rem ever since TC brought out the Contender in that caliber. (many years, eh ?) and now Ilion may have a few Handi barrels. I have the money, but there are already 2 different things I am supposed to do  with it, dang it anyway !
Besides, my 357 Maxi is still holding my interest with loading projects...