Author Topic: CVA Scout- calibers  (Read 1813 times)

Offline mannyrock

• Trade Count: (1)
CVA Scout- calibers
« on: April 08, 2011, 03:44:14 AM »

With the apparent success of the CVA Scout rifle, I am stunned that they do not offer it in .357 magnum and 7.62 Russian, and yet they offer it in .35 Whelen.  I would imagine that for every rifle they sell in .35 Whelen, they would sell 10 in the other two calibers.

Just my thoughts.

Mannyrock

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: CVA Scout- calibers
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2011, 07:40:17 AM »

would imagine that for every rifle they sell in .35 Whelen, they would sell 10 in the other two calibers.

Not in Mississippi, the market responsible for 35 Whelen Scout production!  ;D

Tim

http://www.mdwfp.com/Level2/Wildlife/pdf/final/2008/LE5-2280.pdf

http://home.mdwfp.com/License/info.aspx?id=13

PRIMITIVE WEAPONS
"Primitive firearms" for the purpose of hunting deer, are defined as single or double barreled muzzle-loading rifles of at least .38 caliber; single shot, breech loading, cartridge rifles (.35 caliber or larger) and replicas, reproductions or reintroductions of those type rifles; and single or double-barreled muzzle-loading, shotguns with single ball or slug. All muzzle-loading Primitive Firearms must use black powder or a black powder substitute with either percussion caps or #209 shotgun primers or flintlock ignition. Breech loading single shot rifles must have exposed hammers and use metallic cartridges.  Cartridges may be loaded either with black powder or modern smokeless powder. Scopes of any magnification are allowed on primitive weapons.
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline spruce

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2011, 12:34:15 PM »
A .35 Whelen with a 3-9X scope doesn't exactly strike me as being "primitive", but considering the mental acuity of the average lawmaker it doesn't surprise me they would classify it as such!

As for the Scout it would seem in addition to the above 2 mentioned calibers the .30/30 would also be a good seller and perhaps the .357 Maximum and a few other rimmed cartridges.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2011, 01:33:59 PM »
The inclusion of .35 cal> single shot cartridge firearms in the MS "primitive" season is just a method for deer population management, Louisiana has a similar primitive season  allowing .38 cal> single shot cartridge firearms, their regs have nothing to do with what a primitive weapon is or isn't, they just want more deer taken in their given seasons.

Tim

http://msucares.com/wildfish/wildlife/deer.html

Nationally, the white-tailed deer population likely exceeds 30 million. In Mississippi, the deer herd is estimated at 1.75 million animals, which is higher on a deer-per-unit-area basis (density) than any other state, and only Texas has a greater number of deer.

http://www.wlf.louisiana.gov/hunting/deer/regulations

2. Single shot, breech loading rifles, .38 caliber or larger of a kind or type manufactured prior to 1900 and replicas, reproductions or reintroductions of that type rifle having an exposed hammer that use metallic cartridges loaded either with black powder or modern smokeless powder. All of the above may be fitted with magnified scopes.
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline mannyrock

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2011, 06:16:29 PM »

But, wouldn't it have made more sense for CVA to make that rifle in .358 Winchester, instead of the .35 Whelen?  I hunted whitetail in Mississippi for almost 20 years, and the vast majority of hunters there knew little or nothing about different rifle rounds.  About 98% of them used the .270, .30-06, or 7 Mag, and probably the only other two rounds they could name were the .243 and .30-30.  I'm guessing that not one in a hundred of them have ever heard of the .35 Whelen.

Wouldn't the .358 Winchester have been easier to make and market?

Mannyrock