Author Topic: New GPS unit advice  (Read 1000 times)

Offline MIMatt

• Trade Count: (0)
New GPS unit advice
« on: May 01, 2011, 04:15:38 AM »
Lookin' to purchase a new hand held GPS unit.  Paged through the Cabelas mag this morning and noticed they really push Garmin.  Most use will be for marking fishing and hunting spots.  In my earlier post the Magellan 600 did all I wanted but can't calibrate the compass.  Would call for help but saw many posts that you can't understand the person on the other end.  So with that in mind any advice would be appreciated.

Offline Empty Quiver

Re: New GPS unit advice
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2011, 07:59:16 AM »
A couple of thoughts. If you plan on getting lake software, figure out which brand and ask the maker about hardware choices. I do not like the GPS units with controls on the sides. I use them rarely enough that I forget where they are located and need to constantly turn them over just to assure myself I'm hitting the right button.

You may want to check out accessory price and availability. Hard mounts for the boat are convenient and don't need to rely on batteries (I'm assumeing you are going with a handheld model).

I own a Magellin and feel the pain. I actually like mine but it is old and obsolete, I would like to replace it but haven't really found one worth upgradeing to yet.
**Concealed Carry...Because when seconds count help is only minutes away**

Offline MIMatt

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2011, 11:04:20 AM »
EQ, thanks for the advice.  I know about the control on the sides.  Sure wish the Magellan I have would calibrate.  I mean I'm sure the compass in on but it sure would be nice to check it once in awhile.  Because I'm a tech loser I never have connected this unit to the internet,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,don't know if I have to.  Anything with computers and I get along like oil and water.  Everything else seems to work ok.  I mainly use the thing to mark spots and get back out of the woods.  Maybe I should just try to call their customer service, heard it was terrible, and see if there is a resolution.  Sure would like a new one though 

Offline Siskiyou

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2011, 03:15:39 PM »
MIMATT:

I am not a Magellan guy, but do not throw the Baby Out With the Wash Water.  You spent good money for the unit and hopefully you will get a return for it. 

http://support.magellangps.com/support/
Downloads:
http://support.magellangps.com/support/index.php

For US and Canada - by phone

Hours: Monday through Friday, 6:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. PST/PDT Telephone: 800 707 9971

You may ask a technical support question or request a repair and get a Return Authorization (RA) number by phone. An RA number is required prior to shipping your product to Magellan for repair.
Hours: Monday through Friday, 6:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. PST/PDT Telephone: 800 707 9971

For years I had Garmin models that just used the Satellite compass.  If you buy one I suggest you go that route and you do not need to worry about calibrating the compass.   Most users are just fine using the Satellite compass.

Currently I have one Garmin that has an electronic compass and it is easy to calibrate.  I also have a Garmin handheld with the satellite compass, and a fishfinder on my boat with a satellite compass.  Should I buy another gps I will not spend extra for an electronic compass.

I happen to like the units with buttons on the side and button on the face.  The key with any gps is to practice with it.  It is human nature for people to want a product to do everything out of the box.  I gave my father-in-law an automotive gps for Christmas and two or three hours of instructions, along with the promise to provide more if need.  I knew they would be needed, because he drove me nuts with his computer.

Well he got lost yesterday trying to use it.  He is now asking for help and I will provide it.

I am not aware of anybody I know who owns a Magellan, or they hide it when I show up.  So I cannot put hands on one to work out an answer for you.

How much do you want to spend on a new gps?  Best answer can come with that number in mind. 
There is a learning process to effectively using a gps.  Do not throw your compass and map away!

Boycott: San Francisco, L.A., Oakland, and City of Sacramento, CA.

Offline MIMatt

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2011, 08:43:34 AM »
Siskiyou,,,,,,,,,,,,,,thank you for the advice.  I'm starting to use this thing a bit more and am having fun with it.  Hopefully I can find some mushrooms this year and mark the locations along with all my secret fishing and hunting spots.  I'll try to call with the unit in hand and see if I can get some help.  If not, Garmin looks to be the best from what I have seen.