Author Topic: please set me back on the straight and narrow  (Read 714 times)

Offline LabRat2k3

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
please set me back on the straight and narrow
« on: May 08, 2011, 10:33:34 PM »
For a long time I have been a faithful .45 acp man, I don't own a pistol in any other calliber that isn't a rimfire. I always thought I should throw the biggest chunk of lead I could at a target if the need ever arose. Here lately, however, I have been thinking of straying from the fold and have looked at a couple of 9mm pistols for my next carry gun. I got to thinking, if the SEALs, SAS, FBI, and several others are fine with carring a Sig p226 in 9mm why shouldn't I be? I'm sure they are in worse places than I will ever see. I know that these groups also have other handguns that they use, but the fact still remains that it is part of their inventory. I keep reading how with good ammo it can be very effective. Please help me to see the error of my ways before I give into this temptation.

Offline williamlayton

Re: please set me back on the straight and narrow
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2011, 01:27:33 AM »
As far as SEAL are concernediithat may be what is issued. I would check with the individuals.
If, I was interested in a big holeand wanted to change i might look at a 10mm.
If i wanted a 9mm I would go with either the .38super or 9x23---matter of fact that IS what I did.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2011, 02:05:51 AM »
"Re: please set me back on the straight and narrow".  OK, you asked for it:  (1) gitcher head outta yer butt boy; (2) straighten yer azz out, now; make sure both shoes are tied; gitcher gig line straight dangit; ya in the Air Force er somethin' boy - ya'll learn to shine them shoes with a chocolate bar; gol-dangit, stand up straight and wipe that smile offin yer face; what the hay are ya, a lab rat er somethin'?  Eggskuz me, but when I threw Seals outta airplanes and they worried about bein' hurt, I simply reminded them that they were part of the food chain and not to worry.

Now, don't forget that po-lise, the feds, and SAS train a heck of a lot differently than you would train for self defense and you cannot use their type of training for a courtroom defense - oh yes yer honor, after I tapped him twice inna chest I put two mo through his punkin to make sure he stayed down.  They (SAS, esp) train to kill, plain and simple, and their techniques include multiple hits from multiple weapons - ie:  SAS train in 2 man teams with each placing two shots into their intended target, either the head or the chest and each SAS soldier who follows along puts his own two intoanyone he encounters, whether standing or not.  SEALS train to take down their opponent before someone else makes sushi outta'm, and don't get me started on the rest....... 

Stick with the 45 and let the other guys justify their use of the 9.  Now, did I straighten yer azz out er what?

Offline LabRat2k3

• Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2011, 03:13:22 AM »
Thank you guys. I feel my willpower getting stronger, I may be able to resist. No need to complicate things with different ammo to load anyhow. that 10mm would be nice though, but only one shop around here has ammo for it and judging by his price he is mighty proud of it.

Offline drdougrx

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2011, 03:46:47 AM »
Before you get all warm and fuzzy....a couple of things to keep in mind.  Today's high performance 9mm is not the same as it was years ago.  The technology and bullets are much improved. 

I'd suggest that you have a look here and do some additional reading as well.  You may very well decide that 10mm and 45acp are the way to go....but...there's no reason not to do some more checking!

http://www.stoppingpower.net/
If you like, please enjoy some of my hunt pics at:

http://public.fotki.com/DrDougRx

If you leave a comment, please leave your GB screen name so that I can reply back!

Offline Brett

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2011, 03:48:06 AM »
Many police agencies around the country are ditching their 9mms going to the .40 S&W.   As far as the Navy SEALS are concerned I always heard that most carried a .45. 

Don't get me wrong, I'm not knocking the 9mm, In fact it's what I carry 98% of the time.   Firepower to size ratio of the delivery system is my reasoning behind carrying a 9mm.  My Kel-Tec p-11 carries 10+1 of 9mm in a package that I can cover with my open hand and weighs around 20oz. fully loaded.   Although there are several small .40s, and 45s made for concealed carry most only hold about half dozen rounds.  Sure I could carry extra mag(s) but that would take up pocket space or require another pouch on my belt.   Then if I ever do need more than 6 or 7 rounds I have to go digging for a fresh magazine and attempt a speedy reload.  probably not a good thing during a high stress situation. 

Back to LEOs and military types.  They face a different type of opponent and circumstances than we are likely to face.  Our CCWs are for defensive use.    LEOs and SEALS use their weapons on the offense.   They also aren't concerned about concealability so they can carry a full sized service pistol in any caliber they choose.  We generally don't have that luxury, at least I don't.  I have to keep it on the QT.

So in summary I think that the 9mm provides the best power and round count for the size of the gun.  Life is a series of compromises.  You just have to figure out what fits best for you.   
Life memberships:  <><, NRA, BASS, NAFC

Offline LabRat2k3

• Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2011, 06:00:47 AM »
In all honesty I will more than likely never get away from the .45. I think it is the best all around for what I would need it for. Odds are I will never have to draw my carry gun, odds are that a 9mm would cover 99% of anything I would run into IF I ever have to, but it is that 1% that gets me every time. Hate to think how I would feel if something were to happen to my family because I wanted something different. I guess what got me thinking about it was the fact that I will leave the house with a .38spl in a pocket holster, but would never buy a 9mm to carry. It's funny how we can make our mind up about something but never stop to ask if it makes sense or not.

Offline Empty Quiver

« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2011, 06:02:16 AM »
Capacity, that is what you gain with 9mm handguns. You are not likely to find a multitude of targets outside of a war. What you will find is inexperience though. Would you like to have lots of chances to connect with the no goodnik? Are you so cock sure of your steely under fire demeanor that after one headshot you will scan the perimeter and holster?

I carry .40S&W, I haven't quite convinced myself of all of the above ;). I split the difference so to speak. A good size hole and a few more rounds. Ammo costs and platform keep me from upping the ante to 10mm.

Spend the extra money on high quality carry ammo and don't look back. I was sure a lot of help ;D
**Concealed Carry...Because when seconds count help is only minutes away**

Offline shvlhead.45

• Avid Poster
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2011, 07:30:47 AM »
I'm with you as far as the .45 ACP and it will always be my primary SD/always handy pistol caliber but in about a month I'll be trading a EAA Witness in .45 ACP and .40 S&W (neat thing about the Witness is EAA's caliber conversion program) for a Browning Hi-Power in 9mm. 

3 reasons for this move are:
1. 9mm is the cheapest centerfire ammo providing for cheap target practice with a centerfire
2. SA pistol that works basically identically to my M1911s
3.  JMB is my hero, and I always wanted a Hi-Power

Oh, I do use the .45 Colt in a Ruger NMBH for hunting and anti-snake medicine on the hunting lease. 

r/shvlhead.45

Offline Dixie Dude

« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2011, 08:00:39 AM »
I have a Colt 1991 which is the same as the 1911 in 45 acp.  I also have a Springfield XDM in 9mm.  Colt holds 8 rounds.  Springfield holds 18 rounds.  I am more accurate with the Springfield in 9mm than the 45.  It is also less expensive to practice with.  I have heard both sides.  45 has bigger hole and more knock down power.  9mm has for firepower.  However if I am more accurate with the 9mm and more firepower, it is a no brainer. 

Offline Redhawk1

• Life time NRA Supporter.
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (78)
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2011, 10:30:40 AM »
I carry everything from 380 ACP to 45 ACP, it is not how many you carry, but where you place the bullet. I like to carry my Springfield XD 45 ACP with 13 rounds, but not something I can do everyday. Sometimes clothing does not allow for it.    I don't feel under gunned with my Ruger SR9c in 9 mm either.    ;D

If  you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you,
Jesus Christ and the American G. I.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom

Endowment Life Member of the NRA
Life Member NA

Offline 1911crazy

« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2011, 02:16:39 PM »
The CZ85DB in 9mm luger holds 20rds. There a great pistol.

For an auto pistol the 45acp is about the norm and hard to beat,  I still like it.  If i was going to go bigger i'd look at a wheel gun.  I just went thru this and went for a S&W model 58 in 41mag as my new CCW gun.  I like the 800ft.lbs of stopping power its good for two legged or four legged critters. I'm talking one shot stopping power with no multiple shots needed. I put my 9mm mak / CZ82 away for a while. As far as my wish/want list the 10mm and 38 super auto's are still on it, someday i'll get them. Mikey swears by the 38 super. William swears by the 9x23 and there is the 9x25 dillon to. When ever i'm in doubt i look at the ballastics charts to compare them all.  Investigation into the facts is the key to picking the right gun.

I do like to take them out for a breath of fresh air so i switch them out often too.  They do need a walk in the park at times.

Offline Savage

« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2011, 02:48:27 AM »
No pistol cartridge is a death ray. Not even the old .45 is not 100% effective as a stopper.  I frequently carry .380 or 9mm pistols and am quite ok with it. If you feel you uncomfortable with anything less than a .45, then you have to carry one. For what it's worth, there are a number of bullet performance tests that might change your mind should you care to seek them out.
Savage
An appeaser is one who feeds the crocodile hoping it will eat him last,

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2011, 04:13:37 AM »
LabRat:  Redhawk is right, it is placement that counts.  Drdoug is also right - I am old and there has been a great deal of improvement in 9mm ammo capability, but yet I have never seen anyone walk away from 3 rounds of even 9mm ball to the chest. 

Honestly though, the 9mm has been used in the hands of more military and police than the 45 and the 9 has proven itself time and again.  There's nothing wrong with the 9mm, I have two and would love to get another Browning Hi-Power, and if you are thinking of a 9, then please consider that the shorter semi-autos out there today take as much practice to be competant with as a 38 snubbie does, so no matter what you want you will need to practice, practice and practice some mo.  And again, as Redhawk said, it is placement that counts. 

Offline Higene

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Avid Poster
Wiggle in the straight jacket
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2011, 05:23:33 AM »
Try a S&W model 21 (45 ACP) or 22 (44 Spcl) revolver. I have a Thunder Ranch model and they have a real sweet double action trigger pull, throw a 200-250 gr slug at 700-1100 fps. Can't git er done with six - get moon clips or speed loaders.

Higene

PS they have a gold Special Forces shield on the side of the revolver.

;)