Author Topic: Looking for Breech Loading Cannon  (Read 1035 times)

Offline okiewing

• Trade Count: (0)
Looking for Breech Loading Cannon
« on: June 15, 2012, 01:53:49 AM »
I am looking for a breech loading cannon.  Are there any manufacturers out there that make reproduction breech loading cannon?.  My preference would be something along the line of a reproduction 1.65 inch hotchkiss mountain rifle or something that has a sliding breech block, but uses a bag and not a metallic case.  I understand about destructive devices.  I have a couple of world war II artillery pieces that are registered destructive devices.  I am looking for a breech loading black powder cannon.  Thank you for the guidance. 

Offline Ex 49'er

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
Re: Looking for Breech Loading Cannon
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2012, 03:49:44 AM »
Some gunstore in Minnesota was offering one for sale on the GunsAmerica website. It was a 1 inch bore for about $3500.
When you're walking on eggs; don't hop!!

Offline cannonmn

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2012, 04:07:07 AM »
The important thing you should add to your posting is what price range you are looking in.  I can't tell if you want an original or a repro, but your price range should reveal that. 

I can't tell you how many people have contacted me or talked to me at shows wanting me to find them a genuine, 12-pounder Napoleon Civil War Gun-Howitzer, M1857, and they want it for $5000.00 or less.  I'm not kiddin'!  They won't get one for that price unless they find a scrap dealer selling it for scrap value alone, which is somewhat unlikely these days.

Offline okiewing

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2012, 05:57:44 AM »
Reproduction is perfectly fine.  Honestly more concerned about the type of breech loader than than whether or not its original.  I don't really think that I am interested in something less than an inch and a half. 

Offline moose53

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2012, 06:57:14 AM »
The screw type of breech loader lends itself to powder bags very well , you may want to seriously consider them . The sliding block breech is used more for cased ammunition , not that you can't use bagged  powder.  The Whitworth type of breech loaders , both male and female threaded breeches, are relatively simple to make .

Offline okiewing

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2012, 07:47:30 AM »
Who makes either a threaded or block style?  I am not a machinest so I need to find someone who does this?

Regards

Offline moose53

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2012, 08:05:04 AM »
I don't know anyone that is making them for sale but the ones I know of are one-ofs , you have to consider each one on its own merits. Probably the best thing you can do is put the word out that you are looking for one and see what turns up , because they are out there .

Offline cannonmn

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2012, 09:52:31 AM »
Where are you located?

Offline okiewing

« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2012, 11:17:59 AM »
I am located in Oklahoma panhandle