Author Topic: I'm really bored now.....  (Read 1552 times)

Offline 1911crazy

• Trade Count: (0)
I'm really bored now.....
« on: July 01, 2011, 05:45:03 AM »
I'm really bored now, all my 1911's are up and running awesome and i have nothing to complain about.  I guess I need to get another new 1911 to test again....

I do have some frame rail work and to lower my ejection port and flare it on my norinco next. I'd like to do something different on the frame rails than they normally suggest and do.  I'd like to swage the metal out first then push it then push it back to widen it. Then refit it to the slide. I'm only talking a few thousands here on the front and rear 1'' section of the frame rails on the frame. I have heard the norc's have a tougher than normal steel to work it too.

The sear is done,  the NM barrel bushing is installed with the new barrel, i tuned the extractor already,  I installed /fitted the adjustable trigger, i beveled the disconnector square edge into a ramp on the bottom of the slide. The slide no longer has that bump as it goes into full battery.  Its accuracy and functioning is getting better.  I guess I'm getting close to the end of my tuning and tweeking. Is there any other things i can do to it?? Can i make it any better?

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
Re: I'm really bored now.....
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2011, 02:43:25 AM »
Dang kids, ya ain't never satisfied, always bored.  Are we there yet Dad?  I luv ya Crazy, yer a inspiration but Holy Geez, ya just can't go out an play with whatcha got, ya'll need somethin' new alla time.  Well,  I'll give ya somethin' to do - take one of yer 1911A1s and dedicate it to a conversion pistol.  You can get 38 Super slides and barrels from SARCO and, internals from Numrich/Gun Parts Corp but you need to be aware that some parts come oversized or may need working or polishing, such as the firing pin stop plate or the extractor hole in the slide or the link pin hole in the barrel.  But, once you get that working (just ran a box of ammo through my 38 Super conversion) then you can see if it works with the 9mm barrel conversion or the 7.62x25mm barrel conversion.  I believe that once you convert to 38 Susper/9mm you can just switch slides to the 10mm/40 S&W but you have to change the ejector out to go back to 45. 

I just completed the conversion on my Springfield 1911 frame and I'm having a ball, except for finding empty brass.  Honest to Goodness, I think there is a Legion of Lost Brass floatin' around somewhere that recruits empty shell cases right off the firing range when you're not looking.  Yesterday I am in my back yard testing function and reliability of the 38 Super conversion and having a good time with my groups and then I have to go lookin' fer the empties.  Now, I know how many I shoot as there are that many empty holes in the boxes and all the empties landed in a relatively small space, possibly 12 foot square and I had cut the grasses there the previous day but could I find all my empties - naw, not a chance; maybe a dozen lost. 

I tried the plastic sheet and then bedsheet trick but to no avail - it was too windy and if I had turned to try and keep the brass landing on the sheet I prolly woulda shot my neighbor.  Hmmmm.........

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2011, 03:34:22 AM »
 ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D  &  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
I had to take a breath when laughing.
It is good to know that I am not crazy, or, at least I have a Bunch of crazy people in the asylum with me.
I almost always have a project of some kind going--wheather it being a gun project, bullet project, home landscaping project or a study project. I do it in part because it drives the Hen crazy---which is an ongoing project.
I am such an obtuse and ornery individual---I should be locked up on a mountain somewhere, where I don't disturb the general population.
Unlike you fellers, I can't/won't do some of the work required. I do enjoy reading of ya'lls projects and it drives me compete--somehow---though, at these skill level I know I can't. That saying, I do know some boys that can.
I really think that projects keep me alive/going. I can't stand the boredom of status quo.
Blessings 
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline Dixiejack

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2011, 05:39:33 AM »
Mikey-williamlayton, ya'll have made my day.  Crazy, you keep it up.  Remember that saying "about the price of their toys."  Mikey, it might be worth it for you to buy a metal finder to recoup your brass.  You might find enough loose change to buy more ammo. 

I'm up in Madison, Indiana spending the 4th visiting my wife and watching 2 days of power boat racing on the Ohio River.  Its a beautiful area up here and a possibility for a place to retire.  I haven't met a stranger yet.

Hope you guys have a patriotic, fun, and safe 4th. 

Offline Dixiejack

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2011, 06:00:29 AM »
I know this is the 1911/45 forum, but I had to share.  Bought me a S&W 439 like brand new.  Used to have a Model 39 and regretfully traded it.  Trigger pull on the 439 is a little heavy to my liking, so that is going to be my only modification.  Still had my Bianchi pancake holster from the 39 and the 439 fits perfect.

The outdoor shop I buy ammo and  guns once in while emailed me that he had gotten in 3 Ruger 1911's and I was first on the wait list.  I told him to bump me down to third and I would see him in a week. Probably going to be coming home with me.  Taking about "boys and toys." LOL

Offline The Hermit

• A Real Regular
  • Security is the ability to take care of yourself.
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2011, 06:55:50 PM »
I knew I should not have lurked in here so long, but last week a good friend of mine who runs a gun shop decided to retire. I picked up several pistols, one of which is a Rock Island Armory .45 ACP. It's a plain jane, just like I used in the service. I amazed myself with shooting a 2" group at 45' offhand. Not bad considering I'm using 76 year old eyes. Today, I shot a woodchuck with it.
I know its not a Kimber, but it pleases the heck out of me.
Thanks for bringing me full circle again, I'm hooked.

The Hermit

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2011, 02:48:28 AM »
It is our pleasure to drag you into the pit of bankruptcy along with us.  ;D ;D ;D
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline ratdog

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2011, 09:06:52 PM »
 William we all know that your not as difficult as you say you are i have red a lot of your posts keep it up i enjoy them. have a great 4th.

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2011, 03:08:02 AM »
Well, there is another one I got fooled---the boys over on the Civil War forum will disagree with you.
I am a little hard to get to know--which is not a truth I brag about and a lot of folks don't care for my personality. It is not a purposeful thing---I have a friend that says I am just to Western for most folks. I really don't know what that is but if you know the song "Momma Don't Let Your babies Grow Up To Be Cowboys" maybe that describes me somewhat---Really I don't know what it means.
My B-I-L used to say that about his dad---course his dad and i were friends. I like to live and let live--and his son and I like each other---I will guarentee that my B-I-L is just like his dad.
Funny how we can't see in ourownselves what others percieve.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline 1911crazy

« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2011, 11:13:04 AM »
Being retired each s/s check + is going into my hobbies.  I put some on my plastic yet make sure i can pay it off at the end of the month always.  I'm still looking right now just browsing.....but not ready to buy right now.  I need to wait a while.  Bill

Offline Dixiejack

• Contributor
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2011, 05:36:03 PM »
It is our pleasure to drag you into the pit of bankruptcy along with us.  ;D ;D ;D
Blessings

Williamlayton I am LMAO at your statement.  I really thought I had outgrew the handgun "thing" but your low key suggestions and advise will hook anybody.  Hell, I am 68 and you got me interested in handgun shooting.  I had just about given up on buying a 1911 Super .38 and since I bought that one I have bought a S&W 439 and a M&P 15/22. Done spent as much on accessories for the 15/22 as what I paid for it.  And I been saving my SS checks to build another Scheutzen rifle in .32-40.  Now that is a great round************

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2011, 05:45:01 AM »
Misery LOVES company.  ;)
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline 1911crazy

« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2011, 09:01:31 AM »
William/guys;

I just ordered a wolf 1911 recoil spring a variable in 17.5 weight to test and try out in my 1911.  I'm also going to order all the 1911 variable springs to test too in different weights.

I also purchased a chinese norinco M14 in 308/7,62 last monthy to play with too.  I just received the wolf extra power op rod spring for it too.  I'm also tweeking this norinco too.  Just something to fill in my bored time now.

Offline The Hermit

• A Real Regular
  • Security is the ability to take care of yourself.
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2011, 03:06:11 PM »
Well, I hope you guys are happy now. I just received my Fobus C21 holster and another ACT-Mag in a UPS shipment today.
I had forgotten just how much fun the .45 could be. I might just start looking at some grips, a laser sight, some ........
Good grief... there is no cure.   ;D

The Hermit

Offline Dixiejack

• Contributor
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2011, 06:07:36 PM »
Williamlayton, a stranger came to our door and we took him in.   ;D  Way to go Hermit, Fobus is a nice holster.  Fixing to have me a Commander type hammer and a beavertail grip safety installed in my .38 Super.  I got to handle the new Ruger 1911 along side the Remington 1911R1 in the gun store I deal with.  Ruger wins hand down in quality, fit, and looks even though I prrefer blued. Both were already promised out.  I put my name on the list for a Ruger.  Less see, another left hand pancake holster, couple of extra mags. KA-Ching. "The Road Goes On Forever and the Party Never Ends".

Offline 1911crazy

« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2011, 01:44:22 PM »
Welcome to the club of the broke and happy. I'm happy but i'll never go broke unless those s/s checks stop comming. 8)

I have seen the ruger sr1911 in action on you tube by hickock45 and it looks great and probably will be my next new 1911 in stainless soon.

Offline Dixiejack

• Contributor
« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2011, 02:02:34 PM »
1911crazy, maybe the Ruger sr1911 would make a good project gun for you.  ;D

Offline 1911crazy

« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2011, 03:03:53 PM »
I been eyeing it for my 1911 in stainless.  I have some "honey do list things to do" first for the misses and when my health gets a little better i just hit a bump in the road sort of speak.  So far i'm ok.  Bill

Since oslamma is threatening my s/s check by our country filing bankruptsy and stopping our s/s checks and we haven't had a raise in 3 years now i called my broker/advisor with my IRA and gave myself a raise.  A little extra $$ each month will ease my habit a little i guess. The sr1911 just maybe my birthday present in sept.

Offline Dixiejack

• Contributor
« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2011, 05:58:30 PM »
My Ruger SR1911 is supposed to be here in 3 weeks.  It's gonna be my wife's b-day present to me.  Best of all is I got a price quote of $600.00 plus tax.  I have promised myself that I am going to shoot it for 2 or 3 months before I start thinking about replacing parts and fine tuning it....   :-\ ;D

Offline Jim_Ole_Timer

« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2011, 04:39:25 PM »
I'm wishing I could afford one myself, I would like to pass my Kimber onto my son as he loves it and try the Ruger for myself. If I'm understaning correctly the all steal model is the way to go because its heavier and adds to accuracy. Is that correct?
Protect our constitution, all of it. Our kids future depends on it. And please teach them Conservatism.

Offline Dixiejack

• Contributor
« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2011, 09:32:32 AM »
Jim, that's my feeling.  It seems to me you have better balance with a heavier vs. a light weight handgun.  Also, reaction time is quicker because a heavier gun does not recoil as much as a lighter gun does.

I'm still getting a Ruger SR1911 but shipping has been delayed 2 or 3 weeks. Meantime, I am trying to decide on a Kimber with a 4" barrel, but I want all steel.  I have a SW Model 439 and just pick up a nice used SW Model 39 in 9 mm and both have aluminum frames.  They don't balance as well as my Colt .38 Super and my old US&S military surplus .45 which are both heavier. 

However, my carry is a SW Bodyguard in .38 Special.  It has an internal hammer, laser sight, and has a single action trigger pull almost as light is my SW PC 629.  It weighs 14.3 oz. and with +P's feels like I'm shooting a .357 mag in a J frame.  I practice with standard velocity .38's and carry +P's for protection.  Any gun fight over 5-10 yards max. calls for different tactics---like 12 ga. 000  or 00 buckshot.

I know I got my subject of weight vs. accuracy.  I will go with the heavy weight handgun.

Offline 1911crazy

« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2011, 05:06:53 PM »
The misses told me to pick something out for my birthday present.  I was looking at a ruger sr1911 $600+  or a millet tactical scope for my M14 $800 list on sale for $499.  I may go with the ruger sr1911.