Author Topic: Lee 4-20  (Read 654 times)

Offline hornady

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Contributor
Lee 4-20
« on: April 05, 2011, 03:08:42 AM »
I posted this on another form but thought I would put it over here as well,  something to keep a eye on if you use the Lee 4-20 bottom pour pot.
Yesterday I was casting and ran into a new complaint about the Lee bottom pour pot. I have been using this pot for a couple years now. The first pot full run as well as can be expected from a Lee. But on the second pot about half way threw the arm that controls the spout started getting stiff, I should have stopped right there but kept on casting.
Then it happened, the spout stuck open.
I had muffin pans close by and did not have too much of a mess.
After the pot cooled I checked things out. It seems over the last couple years the C – shaped lift arm had sprung to the point it was binding on the top and bottom mounting screws.
 I took the arm off and straitened it back to original shape. But now I don’t trust the pot. Being bent the thin piece of steel they use for the arm will be weak and bend again.
I think I may just bite the bullet and get the Lyman or RCBS bottom pour pot.

Offline hornady

• Contributor
Re: Lee 4-20
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2011, 08:11:30 AM »
Up date, I took the handle off again, cleaned and lubed the screw bushings with Bull plate and put it back together. Better but it was still hanging up.
Checking things over on the bottom of the slide arm were it fits over the spout, I could see it was dragging on the spout as well.
I took the handle off again and opened the hole in the arm that fits over the spout up a little with the moto tool.
Everything seems to be moving smoothly now.
I think it was a combination of the arm being bent, the two screws binding, and the spout binding on the bottom.

Offline greenrivers

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2011, 02:43:31 AM »
hornady, after using an old camp stove and cast pot for many years, I decided to try an electric and build in a vent hood system. Should have done a little more research as I bought the Lee. I have the drip, and occasional freeflow problems I am reading about. Have you or anyone else had these issues with the Lyman or RCBS? Or do they have the same issues with the bottom pour? This one is about to be set aside as a spare. I have thought about plugging the spout, but really like being able to cast from the bottom of the pot.

Offline hornady

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2011, 05:08:08 AM »
I have never owned anything other than Lee pots.
Like you I started out with a homemade pot 40 years ago, a few years later I went with the Lee dipper pot, a few years latter I bought my first Lee bottom pour.
It was the Lee 10 pound, I believe it was a better design than the 4-20, in that the handle was weighted, you still needed to turn the spout control rod occasionally too stop the dripping.
The Lee 4-20 I think the first thing everyone needs do, is remove the wood knob handle, and place a large fender washer on the screw for added weight, and replace the wood knob.
Bull plate lube also works great to lubricate bind points on the pot.
The Lee is the cheapest pot on the market.
I have used this one for years, and I believe over time, heat and use has sprung the control arm, this is why I needed to make the modifications.
All that I have read on the Lyman and RCBS pots, both are a great improvement over the Lee with the RCBS getting a slightly better rating.
But both are $300.00 more than the Lee.
I have thought about an up grade myself, But the almost $400.00 will buy a lot of molds or components.
The Lee works ok you just need to know up front its going to be a pain at times.
If you are young and just getting started, yes sell the Lee and get one of the better pots.
At my age I am also Leary of buying green bananas, so I will continue my battle with the Lee.

Offline mdi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2011, 09:26:34 AM »
I did the same modifications on my Lee 4-20 pot. Mebbe it's my metal working/mechanical background but I did the mods. before anything broke (well almost, I broke an ear off the valve rod a few years ago and decided to replace it and did mods. then). Another thing I did was to crimp the screw holes on the aluminum extrusions, sides and use Locktite when I reassembled the screws that went into the aluminum. Bullplate on the screw/guides anf valve rod and valve seat. Works better than new...

Offline greenrivers

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2011, 09:57:01 AM »
The Lee pot that I have is only a couple years old now and still works well but I will do the mods you guys use and stick with it a bit longer. As you said hornady, for that kind of money, I to can buy a lot of mold blocks. I will hit the sixty two mark shortly and just took an early out, so I figure I am just getting started! Just about enough time to ware out the toys! If that suits someone upstairs. Mind if I use the green banana line?