Author Topic: 223 case stuck bigtime  (Read 2323 times)

Offline shaner

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (66)
223 case stuck bigtime
« on: May 07, 2011, 02:28:53 AM »
ive got a stuck case in the 223, ive tried all the rods i have to pop it out , no luck , the extractor has opened up, and the rim is pretty much gone, do i try to drill it out somehow?? ive never had one i couldnt pop out with a rod, it was a factory federal , if anyone else has done this  give me a few pointers

Offline Big G

• Trade Count: (8)
Re: 223 case stuck bigtime
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2011, 02:37:35 AM »
Try putting the barrel in the freezer overnite and then try to knock it out again. Also try a good quality penetrting oil(Kroil), let it seep around the case.

Offline PowPow

• Trade Count: (16)
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2011, 02:40:23 AM »
spent cartridge, right?
I bought a 7/32" or 3/16" brass rod at the hardware store, cut it off at a few inches longer than the barrel, and then got a bigger hammer.
If its a live cartridge, search for the threads for the word "stuck". A similar thread from a few months ago had lot of ideas, and some real results.
The difference between people who do stuff and people who don't do stuff is that the people who do stuff do stuff.

Offline LaOtto222

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2011, 03:00:09 AM »
Like Powpow said get a brass rod as big as you can to fill the bore, yet slide in and out easily. Put it down the bore and cut it off so that only about 2" sticks out the bore, the shorter the better. I was thinking 1/2", but you need to be careful not to mess up the crown with the hammer. Make sure the gun is secured in a vise or some thing solid and give a good solid whack to the rod. The trick is make sure the rod does not flex above the crown when it is hit and not bang the crown. As long as it fills the bore well, it will not flex inside. The brass should not do any damage to the bore. I have cut off an old brass cleaning rod to drive a bullet back out of the bore. The case should come out. The other alternative is to tear down the gun and drill and tap the back of the case and then run an appropriate threaded bolt into the back of the case and pull it, similar to a stuck case in a sizing die.

Good Luck and Good Shooting
Great men have vision and resolve to make dreams come true.

Offline shaner

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2011, 03:07:09 AM »
yes its a spent case, ill get a brass rod first, then ill drill it, ive got it tore down in a vise already , hahah never had one as tight as this ,  :o :o

Offline bikerbeans

• Trade Count: (168)
  • BANDIT - North American Snake Hound
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2011, 03:57:19 AM »
Shaner,

if the rod doesn't work there are cartridge extractors that can be bought.  Basically, it is easy-out you insert into the brass from the breech end.  It is a reverse threaded, tapered tap, so you would need to drill out the case head if it is intact.  These extractors are fairly easy to find for the 7.62x39 because case head separations are common with that round in the imported brass cartridges.

Were you shooting the 223 Shaner Super Mag handload ammo? :o

good luck

BB
RIP Tom: Tom Nolan, ( bikerbeans) passed away this afternoon (02-04-2021).

Why be difficult, when with a little extra effort you can be impossible?

Wife's Handis;  300 BLKOUT

MINE:  270W, 308x444, 44 Bodeen, 410 shorty rifled slug gun, 445 SuperMag Shikari, 45 ACP shorty,  45-70 Shikari, 45 Cal Smokeless MZ, 50cal 24" SS Sidekick, 50 cal 24" Huntsman, 50 cal 26" Huntsman, 50 cal 26" Sidekick, 50-70 Govt Shikari, Tracker II 20 ga shorty, 20 ga VR Pardner, 20ga USH, 12ga VR NWTF, 12ga Tracker II shorty WITHOUT scope, 12ga USH, 10 ga  Pardner Smoothbore slug gun & 24ga Profino Custom rifled slug gun.

Offline shaner

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2011, 04:27:54 AM »
i got it finally , wow , no thats the hell of it it was a factory federal american eagle. the shanersuper mag223 just blows the shoulders off the brass hahahh

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2011, 05:37:19 AM »
Next time you can make you own stuck case extractor , drill and tap the flash hole, in this case, ¼"-20 or ¼"-28 or a bit bigger, place a socket just big enough to accept the case head/rim over the chamber, add a washer and a bolt of the same thread, tighten the bolt to draw the case out, works on reloading dies too.

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline gcrank1

• Trade Count: (24)
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2011, 07:03:12 AM »
Ya beat me to it Tim! (no surprise, though)
Whenever you do the rod trick wrap several winds of tape around the rod at the muzzle end and even every 6" or so downbore so IF it flexes it wont bang into the rifling. Any local machine shop should have lengths of cold or hot rolled steel rod in different diameters and cheaper than brass rod. Either can be D/T'ed for 8x32 so you can also screw attachments on.
Maybe a good idea to mop out the chamber before popping some off?
"Halt while I adjust my accoutrements!"
      ><   ->
We are only temporary caretakers of the past heading toward an uncertain future
22Mag UV / 22LR  Sportster
357Mag Schuetzen Special
45-70  SS Ultra Hunter with UV cin.lam. wood
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974

Offline shaner

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2011, 12:03:03 PM »
thanks gentlemen , all good info,

Offline bikerbeans

• Trade Count: (168)
  • BANDIT - North American Snake Hound
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2011, 02:15:20 PM »
i got it finally , wow , no thats the hell of it it was a factory federal american eagle. the shanersuper mag223 just blows the shoulders off the brass hahahh

Shaner,

There has been a couple of recalls on Amer. Eag. ammo the last year or so.  I don't remember which calibers as I don't buy factory stuff, but a friend had some that was included in the recoil.   I think his was pistol ammo, but it might not hurt to check into it if you have more of the lot of ammo.

BB
RIP Tom: Tom Nolan, ( bikerbeans) passed away this afternoon (02-04-2021).

Why be difficult, when with a little extra effort you can be impossible?

Wife's Handis;  300 BLKOUT

MINE:  270W, 308x444, 44 Bodeen, 410 shorty rifled slug gun, 445 SuperMag Shikari, 45 ACP shorty,  45-70 Shikari, 45 Cal Smokeless MZ, 50cal 24" SS Sidekick, 50 cal 24" Huntsman, 50 cal 26" Huntsman, 50 cal 26" Sidekick, 50-70 Govt Shikari, Tracker II 20 ga shorty, 20 ga VR Pardner, 20ga USH, 12ga VR NWTF, 12ga Tracker II shorty WITHOUT scope, 12ga USH, 10 ga  Pardner Smoothbore slug gun & 24ga Profino Custom rifled slug gun.

Offline shaner

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2011, 03:06:18 PM »
ill check it out , i remember see,in a recall on 45acp i picked these up , onsale 599 a box thought heck thats not bad,

Offline Mike38

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2011, 08:51:18 PM »
By chance was it steel case ammo? I tried some Wolf in my .223 Handi and the 3rd or 4th case got stuck. It was easy to get out with a brass cleaning rod. Happened again about 20 rounds later so I quit shooting steel case that day. When I got home I took a good look at the chamber. It was rough with machining marks in it. So I took a felt bore swab and wrapped some 600 grit sand paper around it and spent a few minutes turning it in the chamber. Then used 1000 grit to get a real smooth chamber surface. No more stuck cases, even with steel case stuff. Didn’t affect accuracy at all. This is the same rifle I just shot a 0.515 inch group with a couple weeks ago.

On a side note…. I’ve never tried this, but read about it somewhere. For a stuck case, and you don’t want to run a metal rod down the chamber end. Dump about a teaspoon of oil down the bore to seal the chamber area. Then fill the bore with water. Insert a “snug” fitting wooden dowel into the bore from the muzzle end a few inches. Then smack the wooden dowel. The oil seals the case, the water builds pressure when you hit the wooden dowel. The case will pop out from hydraulic pressure. Sometimes though, it pops out the primer. Then you have to use a stuck case tool.

Offline knight0334

• Trade Count: (3)
    • Pennsylvania Firearm Owners
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2011, 06:43:34 AM »
I learned long ago to polish the chamber of every gun I get because of a stuck casing.   A bore mop and some Flitz or other light polishing compound on a variable speed drill will almost eliminate that from happening again(stay away from the throat).   ...well, unless you dirty up the chamber and don't clean it, then start using mega-magnum loads.
RIP ~ Teeny: b.10/27/66 - d.07/03/07

Offline Darreld Walton

• Eagles Don't Catch Flies
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2011, 02:44:05 AM »
For information,...
I've had several rifles other than handi's that came to me with cases stuck that seemed to be brazed in, and drilling/threading/extracting the case where the breach is readily accessible was not possible.  I went to the industrial supply store and got drill rod stock that would fit the bore and still slide easily, AND fit into the neck of the case.  Smaller rods don't work, as they flex when hit, and take up much of the energy applied, and the case, "she no move'.  I cut it so that only about a half inch extended out the muzzle, chambered the corners of the rod, and slid the rod into the bore, put the rod on a piece of hard wood on the floor, and slid the barrel/action down onto it much like you'd set a steel fence post.  The muzzle doesn't get damaged, the case pops out, and there's no damage to the barrel.  No vise marks, a hammer doesn't get close to the crown, and there's usually enough mass in the barrel/action to get the job done with a couple of blows. 
I told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. "Make your life go here, son. Here's where the people is. Them mountains is for Indians and wild men." "Mother Gue", I says "the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world," and by God, I was right. Keep your nose in the wind and your eye along the skyline

Offline tom548

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (51)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2011, 03:12:01 PM »
I did not read all the replays, but the beat would be just use a stuck case remover for reloading dies. Shell must be fired, All you need Drill. tap , socket and proper size bolt. You may have to space it some to account for the ejector that is sticking out.