Author Topic: 41 GNR  (Read 1972 times)

Offline Wolf13

• Trade Count: (9)
41 GNR
« on: January 29, 2011, 01:23:46 PM »
Has any body shot or own one of Gray Reeders custom guns. I just ordered a 41 GNR from him. it is a M 57 Smith & Wesson with the chambers resized. It is a 44 mag case necked down to 41. Has any body owned or shot one.  Thanks for any infomation

Offline Redhawk1

• Life time NRA Supporter.
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (78)
Re: 41 GNR
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2011, 02:15:20 PM »
I have not shot the 41 GNR, but I had a Custom Redhawk in 410 GNR and it was a great gun to shoot. I also owned a 510 GNR Custom Blackhawk, that I took a 204 lb Black Bear with..  I currently own a Blackhawk 45 Colt Gary customized for me, a Blackhawk 475 Linebaugh, and a Custom Redhawk in 475 Linebaugh.

All are great guns and very accurate.. 
If  you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you,
Jesus Christ and the American G. I.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom

Endowment Life Member of the NRA
Life Member NA

Offline Wolf13

• Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2011, 12:38:18 PM »
Thanks Redhawk that makes me feel better, I am doing things back wards again :o I ordered the gun and then I ask about them. getting old makes me dumb sometimes

Offline Redhawk1

• Life time NRA Supporter.
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (78)
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2011, 01:10:32 AM »
Thanks Redhawk that makes me feel better, I am doing things back wards again :o I ordered the gun and then I ask about them. getting old makes me dumb sometimes

I have had other custom guns from other custom gunsmiths, and I could not be happier than I am with Gary Reeder's guns..

I have also owns some of his Encore barrels and they are shooters as well, I currently own a Encore barrel in 378 GNR and it is a tack driver.

The other thing is, Gary will fix any problems you may have for the life time of the gun. I have not had any problems with any of the guns I have, and I shoot the heck out of them..
If  you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you,
Jesus Christ and the American G. I.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom

Endowment Life Member of the NRA
Life Member NA

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (67)
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2011, 04:09:30 AM »
I have one of Gary's 41 GNR S&W's , its a 657 with a 8" barrel , mine loves the heavier cast bullets , so far the 265g GC-SWC seem to be doing best , but don't over look the Lee 190g or the 215g TL-SWC , both shoot very well .

For jacketed bullets , the Sierra 170g is hard to beat over a full charge of H-110 and the nice thing about the 41 GNR is that it can be loaded down to normal 41 Mag levels or max-ed out to well past what a 44 Mag can do .

stimpy 
Deceased June 17, 2015

:D If i can,t stop it with 6 it can,t be stopped

Offline BAGTIC

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2011, 10:50:17 AM »
I have a 41 GNR but it is a Contender carbine.

Offline sixshot

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2011, 12:54:28 PM »
How can you take a 44 magnum case & neck it down to 41 magnum & have it "way" out perform a 44 magnum? If pressures were equal & bullet weights were equal that would be impossible.

Dick

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (67)
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2011, 05:06:31 PM »
How can you take a 44 magnum case & neck it down to 41 magnum & have it "way" out perform a 44 magnum? If pressures were equal & bullet weights were equal that would be impossible.

Dick

And here lies the advantage of the 41 GNR , a 44 mag using a 180g bullet and H110 powder has a MV of around 1900 fps , while the GNR will push the same bullet weight to just over 2200 FPS ( on my chrono ) using the same powder , BUT 3 full grains less , the advantage is in the bottle neck design of the cartridge .

stimpy
Deceased June 17, 2015

:D If i can,t stop it with 6 it can,t be stopped

Offline sixshot

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2011, 07:56:06 PM »
Stimpy, if you say you're getting that kind of velocity (revolver) then it must be true, just don't see how thats possible when the 41 has a smaller bore ratio than a 44, bottle neck or not....but I'm not to old to learn! Sure would be interested to see what pressures you are getting.

Thanks,  Dick

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2011, 01:50:40 AM »
problem is theres not one 44 or 41 180 grain bullet cast or jacketed that is designed for those kinds of speeds. Load  a 250 grain cast to 1300 out of a 44 and you have a better hunting load then anything you can do with a 41. If you want more the that load a 300 to 1200. Now were way outperforming the 41 gnr. Ive got nothing against the gnr. Kelly Brost had one at a linebaugh seminar. I didnt care for the cheesy engraving but i shot that thing at the 800 yard buffalo and it shot like a lazer! I too would like to see the pressures your load is pushing. Bottleneck rounds tend to run at higher pressures and if your getting 300 fps more velocity out the same weight bullet out of a smaller bore the pressure has to be way up there. Theres just no other way to get velocity. The bigger bore is going to be more effiiceint in burning the powder in a fixed barrel lenght and at the same pressures will usually give more velocity. Now i could see it doing what your doing if it were based on the longer round used in the dan wesson guns but not on the round based on the 44 mag.
blue lives matter

Offline Ken ONeill

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2011, 03:29:30 AM »
Ain't no magic to such things ... the pressure is indeed higher in the GNR than it would be for a .44 to push the same bullet weight at the velocity mentioned.