Author Topic: 454 CC low down  (Read 1137 times)

Offline gulfdaddy

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
  • Avid Poster
454 CC low down
« on: April 22, 2011, 07:04:47 PM »
I purchased from CDNN a 45 Colt CC about a year ago and have really enjoyed it.  Maybe a month ago I rented this boards 454 reamer and followed the instructions included.  Opening a can of tuna fish is harder than reaming out a 45 to 454.  If you have reservations, be advised, make the leap. 
 In any event I took the Handi to the range today and shot some factory Hornady 454 rounds (maybe 265 grain) I inherited and it was a hoot.  I only shot standing off hand at 25 and 50 yards today and accuracy was around 2" and recoil was more than I had expected but nothing offensive.  The metal butt plate whoever may need some help for extended sessions a the range.  I kind of hate to cut the butt and put a pad on it but my grand son will end up with this gun and I do not want him to develop a flinch.  Likely he will only be shooting 45c rounds for a while anyway.  I am going to like rolling hogs with this rifle.  Thanks to Quick for help with the reamer and all those who talked up the little carbine in the first place.  Skinner may be getting a call for a new set of peeps soon as well.     A great find.   GG

Offline OldSchoolRanger

• Trade Count: (60)
Re: 454 CC low down
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2011, 07:23:45 PM »
Instead of cutting the stock to put a butt pad on, why don't you look around and see if you can purchase a stock that already has a butt pad.  There are always stocks sets available in the classifieds.  Then you can save the current stock with the metal plate for the rifle, that you might build in the future.   ::)
"You are entitled to your own opinions, but you are not entitled to your own facts." - Sen. Daniel Patrick Moynihan

When you allow a lie to go unchallenged, it becomes the truth.

My quandary, I personally, don't think I have enough Handi's but, I know I have more Handi's than I really need or should have.

Offline Spanky

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (96)
  • USMC Semper Fidelis
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2011, 08:23:14 PM »
I'd pick up a set of youth stocks for him instead of cutting up the BC set. When he grows into it and gets used to the recoil you could go back to the BC set.

Spanky

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2011, 08:27:49 PM »
Get the TDC youth stock from Brownells, with a slip-on pad over the factory pad it's long enough for an adult, looks nice too, I have one on my 405 Win Target.

Tim

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/sid=18084/pid=7054/Product/FS03488_BUTTSTK__TOPPER_CLASSIC__YOUTH
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline tomf52

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2011, 03:40:03 AM »
What I did for the reecoil problem was to get the leather lace on recoil pad from Cabela's. Can't think of it's name right now but it even looks nice on this model handi. Because of the curve in the steel plate butt I put some formed ( cut with a knife) high density foam shims in the lace on pad when installing it. Never had a more comfortable gun to shoot. Total cost about $30.

Offline gulfdaddy

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2011, 05:22:38 AM »
Wow you guys are all right on the mark with these ideas.  We are going to fix him up right.  Thanks, GG

Offline geezer56

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (102)
  • Contributor
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2011, 01:44:29 PM »
Glad to hear my reamer contribution is helping out.  I did 3 of them before I passed the reamer into circulation here.  Mine is a tack driver, it even shoots better with the 45 LC loads.  My son's is at least as good as before, the grandson's, we don't know.  Nobody can pry it away from him to really check it out.

Offline Fishmantx

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2011, 08:40:13 AM »
I'm patiently waiting for the 454 reamer myself.  Reports like this are really encouraging.  Probably use a lot more 45 colt than 454 and I like the fact that this simple conversion actually improves the 45 colt accuracy as well.  Very cool.

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2011, 03:48:22 AM »
Yup , it's simple to do and provides excellent results.

I like mine allot!!!

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,164684.msg1098746173.html#msg1098746173

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline scratchmark

• Trade Count: (90)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2011, 05:24:36 AM »
how can I get my name in the hat for the reamer?
If the women don't find ya handsome, they should atleast find ya handi

Offline Jimbo47

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (25)
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2011, 08:39:03 AM »
Third item down in the sticky section at the top of the page!

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,231528.0.html

I did mine last week and Tim had it to me in just a few days.   It depends on how many are ahead of you and how soon they get the job done and the reamer back to Tim.
My culled down Handi's are the 45-70, and then I have a few others to keep it company...357 Mag/Max. .45 LC/.454 Casull Carbine, .243 Ultra, and 20 gauge Tracker II.

Offline Fishmantx

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2011, 10:20:50 AM »
Sweet, Tim just notified me that the reamer should be in my mailbox by the end of the week ;D  I've got my weekend project!  Might seem like a dumb question, but what do people use for cutting oil?  I was thinking Kroil, but I don't want to mess anything up.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2011, 01:45:46 PM »

Offline scratchmark

• A Real Regular
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2011, 03:00:33 AM »
how are yall indicating on the barrel the caliber change after a reamin job has been done? A metal stamp set seems kinda crude..

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2011, 05:07:34 AM »
See Marking the barrel after rechambering in the FAQs, there's link to a previous thread on it.

Tim

Offline Jimbo47

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2011, 05:10:00 AM »
This picture was taken from CW's link above, and it might seem crude, but it's permanent and effective.
My culled down Handi's are the 45-70, and then I have a few others to keep it company...357 Mag/Max. .45 LC/.454 Casull Carbine, .243 Ultra, and 20 gauge Tracker II.

Offline gcrank1

• Trade Count: (24)
« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2011, 02:32:11 PM »
For the 'Stamp Challenged', an 'electropencil cal. designation on the underlug is a start.
"Halt while I adjust my accoutrements!"
      ><   ->
We are only temporary caretakers of the past heading toward an uncertain future
22Mag UV / 22LR  Sportster
357Mag Schuetzen Special
45-70  SS Ultra Hunter with UV cin.lam. wood
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974

Offline Fishmantx

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2011, 05:47:05 AM »
Well, I finished the rechamber to 454 on the gun I bought for my son and it was pretty easy.  Removed the barrel, then drove out the pin retaining the extractor, which was the pin closest to the chamber end.  I used plenty of FP10 oil and followed the instructions for the reamer which were very clear.  Taking my time, the re-chamber was done in less than 10 minutes, stopping several times to brush shavings off the reamer and reapply cutting oil.  I marked the underlug using the smallest set of harbor freight stamps, which as I recall cost me less than $5.  Then I did it on the second 45bc I bought for my Dad. :)

One thing I noticed during the initial few turns of the reamer on both guns was a high spot that the reamer caught on.  Once this was carefully removed the reamer progress was very smooth.  Perhaps the improvement in accuracy reported by others is the result of removing this uneven transition in the throat?

I'm only moderately mechanical, and my gunsmithing experience is not broad, so if I can do this, anyone who is patient and can follow instructions will have no problem.

The reamer and donation will be back in the mail to Tim tomorrow :)

Offline Jimbo47

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2011, 07:46:36 AM »
Funny you mentioned the "high spot" because I experienced the same thing.

I didn't make too much out of it, and in fact thought maybe I had taken too much of an initial bite, but like you said, once you cleaned up that spot, the reamer ran smooth as silk the rest of the way.

It wasn't my first experience hand reaming a chamber as I did my .357 magnum converting it to Maximum and didn't experience what I did with this job.

Offline scratchmark

• A Real Regular
« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2011, 04:15:10 PM »
just finished the ream job on my 45cc today and I too had the "high spot".past that, it was a breeze. The key is patience and even then it only took bout 15 minutes. Very happy I took the leap. Now my trigger fingers startin ta get that dang twitch again.