Author Topic: 5.56 MilSurp in a 223 Handi  (Read 6673 times)

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
Re: 5.56 MilSurp in a 223 Handi
« Reply #30 on: November 11, 2011, 12:58:08 PM »
No it is not armor piercing. If it was true AP then it would not be available to purchase. It was ment to be able to pierce a kevlar helmet and extended range. Not sure what the range was. 500??

If it was AP, it would be black tipped. And the steel case sticks in the chambers because of the steel in the case. It does NOT spring back like brass does. It is unable to release from the chamber walls of the barrel. The so called laqure has nothing to do with it. It was a rust preventative for the case. The reason the Russian guns do not have a problem with this is becuse of the size of the extractor that they use. It is large enough to rip it out of the chamber.
''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''re
   Perhaps it was my choice of words which bothered you..I should have said "steel core penetrator" round.  It will penetrate common  steel .
   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5dGxRw8Jq70&feature=relmfu

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1G7X5Oh5qNc&feature=related

Back when I was a Tanker (many years ago) our HVAP (high velocity armor piercing) rounds had a tungsten-carbide core.

In any case I will be better informed, since my grandson is leaving the military to be a gunsmith at one of the world's largets ammunition makers..I'll be better informed then.
If you don't want the truth, don't ask me.  If you want something sugar coated...go eat a donut !  (anon)

Offline woodchukhntr

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (108)
« Reply #31 on: November 11, 2011, 01:40:39 PM »
I've never heard about dangers of shooting military spec. ammo in a rifle chambered for .223 until fairly recently.  Have they suddenly started loading military ammo hotter?  It seems like CYA time to me.  If it was not safe, then why is there no disclaimer on the barrels?  It could be something like: "for ammunition marked .223 only", or "not for 5.56 x 45 cartridges".  If it was unsafe, you had better bet that the gun company's lawyers would demand a disclaimer!  Years ago there was a lot of 9mm German surplus ammo that was allegedly for submachine guns only.  It shot well in my Browning High Power.

Offline necchi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #32 on: November 11, 2011, 06:08:34 PM »
The disclaimer usually comes with the gun as a sheet of paper.
Some folks don't bother reading,,,
People put the wrong ammo in guns all the time, and some of it isn't even as close as the subject of this topic.
Ya can't fix stupid
found elsewhere

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #33 on: November 12, 2011, 02:51:46 AM »
Magooch;
   It is my understanding that the 5.56mm has always been loaded a bit hotter than the civilian version..but the "leade" is still the main problem.  If the bullet is jammed tight against the rifling, pressures can soar for a very short span of time.
If you don't want the truth, don't ask me.  If you want something sugar coated...go eat a donut !  (anon)

Offline gcrank1

• Trade Count: (24)
« Reply #34 on: November 12, 2011, 05:14:32 AM »
The proper ammo to use is the one stamped on the barrel; kinda the 'default disclaimer'.
"Halt while I adjust my accoutrements!"
      ><   ->
We are only temporary caretakers of the past heading toward an uncertain future
22Mag UV / 22LR  Sportster
357Mag Schuetzen Special
45-70  SS Ultra Hunter with UV cin.lam. wood
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974