Author Topic: Ruger 1B or K1B [ laminate & stainless ] ?  (Read 2980 times)

Offline Yes, 357_SIG

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Ruger 1B or K1B [ laminate & stainless ] ?
« on: July 28, 2010, 01:29:45 PM »
 ???                                                                                       :-\
Does anyone have any pros & cons on the stainless [K1B] Ruger #1s?

I wanted to get a "Standard" [#1B] in 30-06 because of the tremendous versatility of that caliber.
There is an incredible variety of readily available good factory ammo at reasonable [at least for these days] prices.
Even if you aren't going to handload, ...
you can still cover just about everything in North America, from varmints to elk,
... and even an accidentally provoked bear.

However, I am slobbering uncontrollably over that gorgeous K1B black laminate stock and stainless steel metal parts.
[Here in the swamps, stainless steel is a wonderful thing.]

Unfortunately, it is available only in 270 Win and 300 Win mag.

Not sure if it is worth paying premium prices for 300 Win mag ammo, ...
and having to handload to get lighter [varmint] loads; ...
assuming that you can download a 300 Win mag as easily as you can download a 30-06.

Surprisingly, there are a lot more factory loads for 30-06 than for 270 Win.
Lots of readily available, deer to elk class, good factory ammo at reasonable [or at least 30-06 class prices]; ...
but you would still have to handload to get much in the way of lighter [varmint] loads.

At the price of Ruger #1s, this rifle is going to have to be a "do everything" gun.
If I won the lotto, I could find some very good reasons for a half dozen ... or more of these jewels.

Would really appreciate some help with this.

???                             ::)                           :-\
The price of Liberty is unfailing vigilance !

Offline BlkHawk73

• GBO Supporter
Re: Ruger 1B or K1B [ laminate & stainless ] ?
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2010, 04:38:58 PM »
  First, having 1/2 dozen of these is a good thing.  ;)  Gotta start on the next 1/2 dozen now.   ;)  Now...why have them?  To me, the nice walnut and blued steel in this design just has class - period.    I cannot say the same for the stainless ones.  Looked at them but they just lack the classic attraction and class the blued ones do.  I like laminates but on this model... :-X
  If conditions dictate the stainless though and it's to be a one gun battery, the 270 is just as versatile as the .30-06. 
"Never Surrender, Just Carry On."  - G.S.

Offline Yes, 357_SIG

• Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2010, 06:04:35 PM »
                      :)
Thanks.                                        ;D                    :-*
The Ruger #1 has to be just about the most gorgeous rifle ever, hands down.

However, this dog is going to have to hunt ...        :-X
and get scratched, dragged across rocks and boulders, slogged through mud, rained on, and probably dropped
... more than once. 
                                :o               

Thanks.    :)

Offline coop2564

• A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2010, 05:39:22 AM »
I have the k1-B in 30-06 if your patient you should be able to find one, there's one on gun broker now. Seems the old hard core guys don't like the stainless on the rifle but I like you think its beautiful. And mine shoots even better than it looks.  ;)
Browning Illusion Bow
Omega Thumbhole .50_NEF Huntsman .50
Knight KP1 .243_Custom Rem 700 .308_Browning Safari Bar .300 WSM, Ruger No.1 30-06
Taurus .41 rem mag Raging Bull_S&W M&P 40C_Browning BuckMark .22_Savage 93R .17HMR

Offline Yes, 357_SIG

• Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2010, 01:51:03 PM »
Yep.
The Ruger #1 has to be just about the most gorgeous rifle ever, hands down.
......... I absolutely love them ....  :-*                   :-*               :-*

"However, this dog is going to have to hunt
and get scratched, dragged across rocks and boulders, slogged through mud, rained on, and probably dropped
... more than once." 

Back in the 70's when I was stationed at Ft Carson, I dragged a [not inexpensive, especially on my budget] beautiful new 7mm Rem mag Ruger M77 across every rock and boulder on Cochetope Dome, all over Gunnison Forest, and half of Colorado ...    ???
and dang near cried over all the scratches and gouges.   :'(               ::)

Also, here in the swamps, even stainless steel will rust in a heartbeat ! ! !   :o   

Offline DEACONLLB

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2010, 03:39:38 PM »
I own two 1b now a 30-06 liberty mod. and a 243 both nice wood but I canot get excited about a stainless laminated stock gun in any brand and yes I own 4 stainless barrel guns but never wont a very classic Ruger in anything but walnut and deep rich blue. I am now looking at a International in the classic 7x57 and there are a number of net sellers who have them new and at what I think is a good price as most of the gun show dealers wont more for a used than you can buy new. Now maybe if I could turn loose of my 1895 marlin in 45-70 I would be close to that 7x57 oh well it will come when the money is right :) :)

Deaconllb
Korean war vet. NRA Member
Fourth fighter wing K14 Kimpo Korea 1952 Fourth but first, the mig killers.
533rd material ,air defense Oxnard AFB 1953-1955
Pastor of the  CBCG-Fellowship group Tulsa Oklahoma.

Offline drdougrx

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2010, 04:49:24 PM »
I just can't wrap my head around a #1KB.  Sooo purdy in blue steel and walnut........
If you like, please enjoy some of my hunt pics at:

http://public.fotki.com/DrDougRx

If you leave a comment, please leave your GB screen name so that I can reply back!

Offline Yes, 357_SIG

• Avid Poster
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2010, 03:18:52 AM »
               ???                                                                               ::)
"At the price of Ruger #1s, this rifle is going to have to be a "do everything" gun.
If I won the lotto, I could find some very good reasons for a half dozen ... or more of these jewels."

I just wish that I could afford at least 2 or 3.         ;D                      8)
By the time you get out the door with a scope and taxes,        ???
these dog - gone smoke poles will set you back a good $2,000.000 ... each.        :o               :o            ::)

Offline BlkHawk73

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2010, 03:17:28 AM »
Quote from: Yes

I just wish that I could afford at least 2 or 3.         ;D                      8)
By the time you get out the door with a scope and taxes,        ???
these dog - gone smoke poles will set you back a good $2,000.000 ... each.        :o               :o            ::)

Plan and save it'll work. ;)  If a scoped one of these is gonna cost you $2000, you can probably downgrade your Swarvorski to something else.  Seriously, you should be able to grab a #1 for under $900 unless it's a rarer variation.  Haven't paid over $900 for any here and only two were over $800.  Used isn't a bad route either. ;)

Offline Yes, 357_SIG

• Avid Poster
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2010, 05:00:00 PM »
                                    :o                     ???              :)
Wow!         8)
Where do you find those prices?   
I got run over by a freight train trying to buy one on Auction Arms.   :(
They bid that one up like it was the last one left on earth.   :'(

Offline mrbumps

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2010, 02:48:19 AM »
New Number 1's around here go for $900-$950 before tax.  You can generally find used ones (unless unusual/rare) for about $700.  If you have a local FFL you deal with, have them quote you on a new one.  Davidson's has a couple of the Stainless in 30-06 listed right now.  Just find a dealer that has an account with them.

If you don't mind used, I would think you would be able to get a good deal on a 30-06, as it's a common caliber.

Here's one on Gunbroker starting at $960 (Buy now for $990).  Stainless, with a Leupold VX-II 3-9 Scope

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=181780484

Or a NIB without scope, Buy It Now for $829.99

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=181059306

Offline BlkHawk73

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2010, 03:13:52 AM »

Where do you find those prices?   
I got run over by a freight train trying to buy one on Auction Arms.   
They bid that one up like it was the last one left on earth. 

Usual gun shop for used ones, my brother (has FFL) for the new ones.   ;)   This is a perfect case of how being loyal to a shop can pay off.  Treat them right, and don't lay the shell game hopping from shop to shop trying to save a buck backfires when there's something you really want.   

Offline pmeisel

• Avid Poster
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2010, 05:55:26 AM »
If you love the stainless, get the .270 Winchester.  It'll do pretty much what the 06 will do, and when you are buying a #1, a little more for ammo shouldn't be a big deal.

Offline Fred M

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
    • Fred The Reloader and Wildcatter
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2010, 07:58:55 PM »
Fortunatly I live in a dry country so a SS rifle is not an attraction to me. I had been waiting for that new 303 #1 to show up but non has sofar come along. In the mean time I found a sentenial
model #1 NIB,  1-500 30-06, and I bought it on sale.

What a beautyful rifle. It has a 22" barrel. Nice walnut and deep blueing, with both sides of the receiver with scroll engraving and gold inlays and well executed checkering, and less money than the 303.

The 30-06 has more versatilities than the 303 ammo wise.
Fred M.
From Alberta Canada.

Offline Yes, 357_SIG

• Avid Poster
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2010, 12:01:02 PM »
Thank you all !

Am starting up a couple of [big] piggy banks and
... making plans to get back into reloading.

In the meantime, i will keep drooling over Ruger #1s; ...  in 243 Win, 25-06, 270 Win, 30-06, 300 Win mag, ? ? ?.

Thanks,
           Chuck

Offline dan3

« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2010, 08:18:31 AM »
Chuck, welcome to the No.1 family (Fanatics) - you'll find the No.1s are like that potato chip commercial "Bet you can't have just one"!  I'm in south Florida - most of my No.1s are blue - haven't had rust problems - just take care of them (clean, Fondle, oil, Fondle, wipe down, Fondle.....). I love the blue & walnut models - but the one stainless model I have (No.1 KH .375 H&H) does require less "worry" than the others.

Your choice of the .30-06 is a great one... and the choice of the Ruger No.1 is fantastic! You WILL be happy with which ever model you choose.

Offline Yes, 357_SIG

• Avid Poster
« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2010, 11:14:18 AM »
Thank you all !
The 30-06 is a great choice.     
On the other hand, ... if I eat beans and rice ... for a while ...                     
maybe, I can get a pair of Ruger #1s !                 
Which will definitely keep the freezer filled with all manner of good meat to go with the beans and rice.     
Am starting up a couple of [big] piggy banks and
... making plans to get back into reloading.

In the meantime, I will keep drooling over Ruger #1s.
Just two [2], just two [2], just two [2] ;
270 Win & 300 Win mag,
25-06 & 300 Win mag,
243 Win & 300 Win mag,
? ? ? .

Thanks,
           Chuck
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
The .300 Winchester
 by Jack Steele
The good ol' ought-six is still a top choice.  From 'chucks to elk, it is a serious caliber for the serious hunter, no question about it.

There is one area, however, where the ought-six gives up some ground, and that's when it comes to pushing heavy bullets -- the kind you want when big, tough critters like elk and moose are on the program.  Yes, the classic .30-06 load pushing a 180-grain pill at 2700-2800 ft/sec will do almost anything you need, but throw in a big bull elk across a wide canyon at dusk, and the 300Win gets the nod.  Consider that at 400 yards, the Winny's 3100 ft/sec with the same 180-grainer gets you 450 ft/lbs more terminal energy and five inches less drop.

If that weren't telling enough, jump up to the 200-grain rock ,and by today's mega-magnum standards the 2550 ft/sec generated by a .30-06 case can be considered positively lethargic, although for close work in heavy timber, the combination is hard to beat.

By contrast, the Winny pushes the 200-grainer to a speedy 2950 ft/sec with careful reloads.  At 400 yards, this translates into almost 700 ft/lbs more terminal energy and a trajectory flattened by 7 inches.  That is the kind of difference that makes a difference on tough game.

Bottom line:  While the .30-06 still may be the finest all-around caliber, if elk are in your plans the .300 Winchester might be a better choice.

The same analysis applies to the .270 Winchester.  By all accounts a hell of a sheep and deer caliber, throw elk into the equation and the .270 becomes marginal.  Sure, there are elk hunters who shoot their bull with a .270 every year, but they are the exception.  Most of the savvy elk crowd considers the .270 either too small or the absolute bare minimum for wapiti.

Suffice it to say that, at 400 yards, the .270 shooting 130 spitzers and the .300 Win. Mag. shooting 200-grain spitzers have virtually identical trajectories.  The difference is that the .270 arrives carrying roughly 1300 ft/lbs of energy (below the 1500 ft/lbs often cited as a minimum for elk) while the Winny will deliver over a ton of energy, almost 2300 ft/lbs  What the great .270 is to deer and sheep, the .300 Winny is to elk

As versatile, accurate, and popular as the 7mm Remington Magnum is, the .30-06 retains an edge, and the .300 WinMag outclasses them both.

After plains game?  180-grain Ballistic Tips at 3100 ft/sec equal bad mule-deer medicine and devastating performance on pronghorns.  The same load is a ringer in "beanfield" situations.  Elk and moose in your plans?  Load 200-grain Partitions or A-Frames at 2900 ft/sec, and be assured that you have the right gun!  Feel like practicing on coyotes or chucks?   Scream some 165-grain boattails at 3250 ft/sec, and worry about your end of the rifle.

Like with all calibers, there are situations where a different caliber would be ideal, but for all-around versatility, flat trajectory, and high energy, the .300 Winchester Magnum shines, maybe like no other.

In the end, the choice of an all-around rifle depends on many factors.  If you like a gun, you are much more likely to shoot it and shoot it well, so choose a rifle you like.   Also, any experienced rifleman knows that where you hit 'em is much more important than what you hit 'em with, so place your emphasis on skills rather than on the size of the rock.   But when all that is said and done, take a good hard look at the .300 Winchester."

Copyright © 2000 - 2007 24hourcampfire.com, Inc.  All rights reserved.

Offline txpitdog

« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2011, 05:24:09 PM »
Love my stainless #1 300 win mag! Got it Monday, topped it with a sweet Zeiss Conquest 3.5x10x44 on Thursday and took a doe and spike with it Saturday morning!

Offline txpitdog

« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2011, 04:20:39 PM »
... and I'm now trying to cope with living without a matching stainless laminated 45-70!

Offline ThomD

« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2011, 01:28:28 PM »
While you can't beat fine wood and blued steel, that isn't what you get with the regular #1.  But with the laminate and stainless, you pretty much get the best of each.  There isn't a Circasian crotch grade of laminated wood to lust after.  It is what it is.

Though I doubt I would mess with a #1, One thing I like about stainless other than the obvious stainless part, is that I can work on it and I don't have to re-blue.  So if I buy a Marlin XLR in 24" barrel and decide my ideal barrel is 21"  I can do that quickly on the lathe and just cut to a finished surface no messing with matching the blue.