Author Topic: Spring hog hunting in Texas  (Read 4859 times)

Offline petemi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (73)
Re: Spring hog hunting in Texas
« Reply #30 on: May 09, 2011, 03:12:14 AM »
Shoot, I've got an alley cat that brings me copperheads on a regular basis.  5 or 6 so far this spring.  I wouldn't mind as much if she would kill them first.  When I see her headed toward me lately, I PAY ATTENTION!
Ben

For what my opinion is worth, I think the copperhead is our deadliest snake.  He doesn't rattle a warning and he's not sluggish like the cottonmouth.  He's also well camoflaged and hard to see in the leaves and brush.  As a kid I was taught to look over a log before I stepped over it.  One good thing about living on Michigan's Upper Peninsula, we have few if any deadly snakes.  It is a pleasure to walk the woods not having to look for them.

Pete
Keep both eyes open and make the first shot good.
The growing Handi/Sportster/Pardner/Topper Family:  .22 WMR, .22-250. 223, Two Superlight 7mm-08s and one .243, .30-30,  .308, 32-20, 18 inch .356/.358 Win., Two 16.5 inch .357 Max., 18 inch 38-55 BC Carbine, 16.5 inch .445 Super Mag., .45LC, 16.5 and 22 inch .45-70s, .50 Huntsman SS, .410, 20 ga., 12 ga., 20 ga. Pardner Pump, Versa-Pack .410 - .22
[size=7.4 pt]PLEASE DONATE TO THE GBO SERVER FUND  We're closer to the goal but not there yet, we can still use more donations, thanks

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,191112.msg1098959491.html#msg1098959491

Offline markc

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #31 on: May 16, 2011, 06:56:15 AM »
Copperheads are mean, but not really deadly. Few people lose their life from a copperhead bite. Around here if you are bit by one and go to the local ER, they will give you  Benadryl and send you home afte cleaning the bite. If you call the ER they will tell you not to come in with a copperhead bite, unless you have an extreme alergic reaction. My bro-n-law just got bit by one outside Centerville and they told him not to bother to come to the ER because they really don't do much for those bites. 
markc

Offline gcrank1

• Trade Count: (24)
« Reply #32 on: May 16, 2011, 08:10:14 AM »
GEESH!....My wife works pt. time in registration at out local hospital, she has LOTS of people coming in all the time with colds, little cuts, insect bites that most of us 'used to' just wait out or take care of at home. Of course, a lot of these are on the 'publicly (taxpayer)subsidized health care plan' that has such a low co-pay (like $3) that they are used to using the ER and UC as normal because they dont have wait for an appointment! No wonder our health care costs are going through the roof.
If somebody came in with a copperhead snake bite they would treat it like it was 'meaningful'. 
"Halt while I adjust my accoutrements!"
      ><   ->
We are only temporary caretakers of the past heading toward an uncertain future
22Mag UV / 22LR  Sportster
357Mag Schuetzen Special
45-70  SS Ultra Hunter with UV cin.lam. wood
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974

Offline rockbilly

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #33 on: May 18, 2011, 07:55:43 AM »
Several years ago I was showing some land to a couple of young school teachers who wanted to lease it for deer hunting.  When we arrived at the location I suggested they ride with me, they got in my truck, I drove over the property showing it to them.  We stopped several times and got out of the truck, when we did I always reached in the door pocket and stuck my little Model 60 in my back pocket, after a while they started kidding me, "What Ya gonna do with that pea shooter,"  "Can you hit the side of the barn," etc.  On our last stop we walked over near a windmill and checked out the water tank, as we were returning to the truck I was walking in the left track of an old trail to the tank, one of them was behind me, the other to my right.  As we walked along I notced the snake coil, I immediately drew the pistol and shot three times.  They paniced, "what you shooting at?"  I showed them the snake, it turned out to be much larger than I expected.  One of them walked back near the truck and picked up a metal fence post and brought it back.  They hauled the snake up near the truck to an area where the grass was low and stretched the snake out.  It turned out to be just under seven feet, I don't know what it weighed.  They were really amazed, I made a "quick draw," shot and hit the snake three times in the head, I didn't want to brust their bubble and tell them I was shooting my handload snake shots.  It was funny, for years they told everyone they met that I was a dead-eye with the pistol. ;D ;D ;D

My place is southwest of Abilene, and we do have some biguns here...................