Author Topic: Bullet Fitting-Continuing Saga  (Read 3355 times)

Offline stocker

• Trade Count: (0)
Bullet Fitting-Continuing Saga
« Reply #60 on: January 03, 2004, 05:45:01 PM »
Brush buster: The Smiling Mink isn't really an oil, it's a white pasty stuff which smells a bit tallowy. Comes in a little butter tub type container. I never did find graphite very good for the job. The 348 case is quite prone to stretching if it's dragging hard on the expander button on the way out. I like to make that stage of sizing as easy on the cases as possible to prevent that.  You can also check your expander button diameter and polish it with crocus cloth a bit if it appears rough or bigger than need be. I think improved lubeing will do what you want.

Offline BrushBuster

• Avid Poster
« Reply #61 on: January 04, 2004, 07:35:23 AM »
Stocker:  I believe I've purchased that product before as a water repellant for boots. Does the mink have to be smiling?

Okay, where's the bridge, and how much do you want for it? Your not selling Rudy's bridge on the Fraser River are you?
Struggling every day, to hold onto what I took for granted yesterday.

Offline stocker

« Reply #62 on: January 04, 2004, 03:23:14 PM »
Brushbuster:

You can have your pick: I can make you a deal on one in Brooklyn and another in Frisco.  Send 10 million to a bank in the Caymans and I'll send a title paper. Wouldn't dare deal on Rudy's. I have to live here :P .

Anyhow, just got a response from Wayne and put an order in for 500. These will mostly be used for hunting and I'll continue to use the lighter home cast for range purposes.

Apparently parcel post is not a problem but I think I heard value has to be under $100.00 for this type of product. Thanks for the tip.

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #63 on: January 04, 2004, 03:47:01 PM »
I use a light grease with PTFE in it both as a sizing lube and for the expander ball.  But if you haven't tried it, probably the best lube for resizing is Imperial sizing wax.
Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline stocker

Brushbuster
« Reply #64 on: January 04, 2004, 09:59:56 PM »
Brushbuster: Have you actually weighed the bullets you got from Wayne? You said 255 grains and when I checked his web page the other day I'm sure it also said 255 grains. Tonight it says 225 grains. Either he had an error and changed it or he has both and lists them intermittently. Gas check and lube should only add a few grains to actual bullet weight, usually around 4-5 grains I think.

Offline BrushBuster

• Avid Poster
« Reply #65 on: January 05, 2004, 04:16:26 AM »
Stocker:  Yes I did weigh the bullets, and they scale out at 260 grains with lube and gas check.  Wayne considers them a 255 grain bullet, and they were made to my order for a heavier bullet.  

They were not part of his ordering list at the time I ordered, so I had him purchase the NEI mold which lists it (#107) at 240 grains. It casts out at 255 with his alloying, and if your ordering, make sure you ask for exactly the same bullet and mold that I had.

I just got a message from him this morning, and he says he is starting on a second order for me. Good time for you to contact him if you do want the same bullet.

Offline stocker

« Reply #66 on: January 05, 2004, 12:58:46 PM »
BB- I've been in touch with him and he explained he has both weights available. I'm positive the first time I looked at his web it showed the 255. Two days later it said 225 so I kind of did a double take as I have a 225 gr. mold and sure didn't need them. I've confirmed my order with Wayne and am just waiting to hear what the cost will be with shipping included so I can send him a M.O.. Thanks.

Offline bcboy

« Reply #67 on: January 06, 2004, 06:55:56 AM »
Have been reading this thread from start to finish this morn. Nice to see some familiar faces :D  Sky C nice to see ya here.

Stocker allready sent me some cast and shooting them at the range has got me addicted.

Shooting ??  I got some advise from an old Muleskinner and he showed me how to use a different target. It is just a plain white  with a V in the middle. I actually cut a 8" V out of an old pair of jeans  and staple it to a piece of construction paper. I went to a new home site and asked the guy and he gave me 200sq,ft of Tyvex for free. So with a little experimenting I found it best to turn the V upside down this really improved my accuaracy as I just draw my front bead into the V and let her rip.
  I also found white finger nail polish on the front bead helps (stocker's idea).

So thanks and figure I will call Wayne and get some for hunting purposes.

PS... did you shoot that little moose with your .348 BB :-)

Offline BrushBuster

• Avid Poster
« Reply #68 on: January 06, 2004, 08:50:53 AM »
Hi BcBoy:

About your target: sounds great, I'm going to give that a try, and turning it upside down provides a visual nest to settle into at any range. There's goes my excuse for poor grouping!

The moose picture: Alas, it was a 30-06 that did him in before I acquired the .348. He was shot at 20 ft. so I doubt the calibre mattered.

Last seasons moose was a one shot kill with the 200 grain Silvertip in the .348 at 150 yards. I've been using the 30-06, .35 Rem. for many years, but have switched to the .348 because I have come to believe that it has more knock-down power than the others; and I just like hunting with it more! I'm left handed, and a lever gun suits me and my type of hunting.

Offline bcboy

« Reply #69 on: January 07, 2004, 07:28:47 AM »
Just got an e-mail from Wayne looks like the shipping will be about $20

for me. I look forward to seeing how they shoot. 2300 WOW 8)  Thanks

guys this looks promising.