Author Topic: Cannons 1-2" how were they used?  (Read 596 times)

Offline bluez

• Trade Count: (0)
Cannons 1-2" how were they used?
« on: May 12, 2011, 01:36:46 PM »
I am speculating about how the small bore cannons was used. Wouldn't a 1,5" cannon be to small to be used for explosive shells / shrapnel? Was it the range and penetration that made them usefull?

Offline KABAR2

• Trade Count: (1)
Re: Cannons 1-2" how were they used?
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2011, 02:21:30 PM »
If you are talking about something like the 1 or 2 pound Hotchkiss these light guns
had their purpose they were designed to be broken down and packed into the hills
and mountains where larger artillery would need engineers to build roads, both calibers
had explosive rounds also solid shot and canister the Hotchkiss saw use in the later part
of the indian wars and in the Spanish American war in each case they were used more
in a role of infantry support rather than seige artillery, but if you are trying to take a stronghold
and you need to weaken the oposition a few rounds punching through and going boom
will have an effect.
Mr president I do not cling to either my gun or my Bible.... my gun is holstered on my side so I may carry my Bible and quote from it!

Sed tamen sal petrae LURO VOPO CAN UTRIET sulphuris; et sic facies tonituum et coruscationem si scias artficium

Offline Artilleryman

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2011, 02:32:14 PM »
We have been speculating about the use of the 1.5 inch Ellsworth.  This breech loading rifle seems to be accurate at long distances, we have shot 29 inch groups at 600 yards, and it may have been useful as a "sniper" rifle.  From a concealed position in places that a larger gun could not go, a solid bolt catching a line of infantry in flank would be able to take down several men with one shot.   Being breech loading it would be able to get off several shots rapid fire.  However in a shoot out with standard field pieces I don't think they would have much of a chance.
Norm Gibson, 1st SC Vol., ACWSA

Offline don heath

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2011, 01:02:04 AM »
!½ to 4lb er light pieces were very popular in Africa- most originated as ships guns (for use in the crows nest) or from Turkey where the 'Cammel' troops used them. The Turkish guns had a flint lock side ignition but the ex naval pieces were fired by using a slow match. Mostly they were used as oversized 'buck shot' guns. In Africa .50 cal balls were pretty much standard. In Turkey they used larger shot (more effective on horses and camels)- I gather a charge by Camel mounted troops was much harder to stop than a similar horse charge. The only thing other than buck shot (small grape shot) that they ever fired was incendiary shot of one form or another. In a land where the 'natives' houses were made from thin wooden forms covered with thatch (grass)...if you could punch a hole through the wooden stockade that typically surrounded most villages and set a hunt alight, the whole village would go up.

the best example of this occurred in 1893 when the matebele with limited support by some Boers equipped with a 2lb and 4lb light cannon attacked the 'tswana military village of palape. The Matebele were only equipped with spears and the 'Tswana mostly had guns. about half of the 'Tswana were also horse mounted whereas only the Boers had horses on the other side. The 'Tswana retreated into the town and secured the gate, confident that the combination of deep ditch, high stockade, superior numbers and firearms would keep them safe. The Boers set the town alight though and in the confusion the 'tswana lost everybody in the blase or killed as they tried to jump over the stockade. They lost nearly 100,000 men women and children to 12,000 matebele and 20 Boers.   

Offline guardsgunner

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2011, 02:10:45 PM »
  Most of the small guns were used to support the other arms of the service. The Ellworth guns were initially issued to the 11th NY inf. They used them on Peninsula driving off a couple of Reb batteries before losing 13 guns when captured by Hoods Texans. The 11th lost the rest of the guns (7) at Harpers Ferry in Sept. 1862. Here they were used to snipe at Mclaws Div. while in the river while 3/4 a mile away. The Rebs issued them to Cav. units after capture. Two were used by Morgan on is raids in Tennessee and Ohio. Two went to serve the 5th SC. and with Hampton Legion in the end. The were scattered about in the Trans Mississippi Dept.
  Most of the small guns were used in the Western theater where it was harder to move the big guns. Woodruff guns went with the 6th and 7th Ill. on griersons raid.(see Johns Waynes Horse Soldiers for the Hollywood version) The 2nd. Ind and 4th Iowa used their Woodruffs with canister several times to turn the tide of battle in their favor. (Howitzers.)
  Hughes guns were initially made for Jeff Thompson's Cav. ( 2 captured by 7th Ill Cav.)and used a New Madrid, Ieuka,Port Hudson and Vicksburg.
  Travis guns were to have gone to N.B. Forrest's Cav.
  The williams guns went to cav. units and Buckners Batt. Mississippi Art.Used alot of buckshot rounds.
The only thing that can find in common with their use is that they often turnned the tide in the smaller battles in support of there parent unit. This brings up why it is hard to find info on the small guns. The commanders would report on there actions as a whole and often do not mention their attached guns.

Bob

Offline bluez

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2011, 12:15:26 PM »
Thanks for some very great answares. I also found out a lot by searching on "falconet cannon", however this is before explosives shells.