Author Topic: Dumb 45 ACP question, but had to ask  (Read 470 times)

Offline Qualitymilk

• Trade Count: (15)
  • Avid Poster
Dumb 45 ACP question, but had to ask
« on: May 16, 2011, 05:37:17 PM »
Why does some factory 45 acp ammo (federal) use a small primer, and others (Winchester) use the large primer?  I bought some large pistol primers planning to reload all these cases, and now I have to use 2 different size primers? 

Will the small rifle primers work safely in these cases?  The load I am looking at is 8 grains of Power Pistol pushing a 200g Hornady XTP bullet in my Kimber. 

Offline shot1

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Dumb 45 ACP question, but had to ask
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2011, 03:28:19 AM »
The 45 ACP is a PISTOL caliber so you are to us PISTOL primers. Who know why some of Federal cases use small primers????? I do know that some WW cases have huge flash holes and I asked a WW rep why and he told me that it was from their clean ammo line that is supposed to be what to shoot indoors to keep lead air pollution down. 

Offline mdi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2011, 08:23:08 AM »
Federal jumped on the "green" bandwagon and started using lead free primers. The lead free are small pistol (don aks me why) and some of the flash holes are larger to insure proper ignition with the small primers/diferent compound. I read an article in Handloader mag. where they tested, side by side, 45 ACP small primed vs large primed reloads. Only difference was a small drop in velocty, around 20 fps or so. Accuracy remained the same, functioning remained the same...

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (67)
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2011, 12:13:15 PM »
Why does some factory 45 acp ammo (federal) use a small primer, and others (Winchester) use the large primer?  I bought some large pistol primers planning to reload all these cases, and now I have to use 2 different size primers? 

Will the small rifle primers work safely in these cases?  The load I am looking at is 8 grains of Power Pistol pushing a 200g Hornady XTP bullet in my Kimber.

Not a good idea , most SR primers work at a higher pressure than SP primers , also the cups may be different depths and could cause a Slam-Fire as the slide comes forward .  :'(

stimpy
Deceased June 17, 2015

:D If i can,t stop it with 6 it can,t be stopped

Offline Qualitymilk

• Trade Count: (15)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2011, 04:16:17 PM »
Thanks for the info guys, I will definitely stick to the pistol primers.  two of my manuals say large pistol for the acp, so I was a bit confused when I saw these Federals with a small primer.  Will get some CCI 500's with my next trip to the shop and get er done right.