Author Topic: RG 38 Special  (Read 2834 times)

Offline vacek

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
  • Philippians Chapter 2
RG 38 Special
« on: May 15, 2011, 04:56:33 AM »
One of several firearms I inherited was an RG 38 Special from the 70's.  This is a snubnose.  With moderate to light loads (I reload) was this gun safe to shoot?  I know it was what we called Saturday Night Specials back in the day.

Offline jlwilliams

• Trade Count: (2)
Re: RG 38 Special
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2011, 05:46:47 AM »
The RG guns are really poorly made.  I can't say if your specific gun is safe to shoot, but I'd look at it with great scepticism. 

Offline Redhawk1

• Life time NRA Supporter.
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (78)
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2011, 06:04:54 AM »
I would have to agree with the above poster..  Have a good gunsmith check it out first..   I have an old RG as well in 22 short.. I shoot if some times.. It has a pinned barrel..
If  you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you,
Jesus Christ and the American G. I.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom

Endowment Life Member of the NRA
Life Member NA

Offline Dee

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2011, 08:15:47 AM »
Rather than go to the trouble of finding a gunsmith to check the pistol out, I would opt for dropping the cylinder down one well, and the rest down another. These RGs are DANGEROUS. I have worked numerous accidental shootings, with two of them FATAL from these pieces of junk being dropped. One was an adult male, and the other a teenage boy. They are a tragedy waiting for a place to happen.
They are unsafe, and were unsafe the day they left the factory. Do yourself, and everyone around you a favor. Take the gun apart, and discard it, where it will never be found, at least in it's entirety, or shootable condition.
You may all go to hell, I will go to Texas. Davy Crockett

Offline Tom W.

• Moderators
  • Warning... Does not play well with others!
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2011, 12:06:57 PM »
Years ago when I worked at OTASCO, I sold a bunch of them. I didn't recommend them, but they were cheap, and probably better than a rock. But not by much.
Tom
Alabama Hunter and firearms safety instructor

I really like my handguns!

Offline Dee

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2011, 12:23:12 PM »
A rock is safer for the thrower. The RG is dangerous for the user, AND the target.

Offline Redhawk1

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2011, 01:58:33 AM »
Dee, should people throw away all there older Colts that will go off if all cylinder are loaded and is dropped on the hammer?  Sure the RG's are not well made guns, but I know a few people that have them and shoot them. Safety comes from the shooter as it should be!
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Life Member NA

Offline Dee

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2011, 02:59:48 AM »
Redhawk1, I have ACTUALLY  investigated ACTUAL accidental deaths involving RGs that FAILED. The families didn't know that the sears are bad on many and made of pot metal, and that the metallurgy is bad OVERALL on the RGs. If you want to compare an RG with an old Colt that in itself speaks volumes of you knowledge of RGs, and perhaps old Colts. There is actually know comparison of the two. I have said WHAT I KNOW TO BE TRUE, based on personal experience with accidental deaths and gunshot wounds from a defective, poorly made, and dangerous handgun, that should have never been on the market. I have an old Iver Johnson 38 S&W that the steel is far, far, superior to the very best RG has to offer. I would not stand on a fireing line (and I have stood on many as an instructer) at any range next to an RG being fired.
If you have a protocol that will enhance this dangerous clunkers KNOWN reputation for failure at critical times, to be safely carried and fired, them by all means proceed, you have the last word on the matter.
With that said, I have stated the case for why to dispose of a very bad, and dangerous handgun, and I will not debate the virtues of a dangerous piece of JUNK! I'm done.

Offline hornady

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2011, 03:27:48 AM »
Years ago I had one, I shot light 38 Reloads out of it. Never had a problem with it. But diffidently not something I would have depended my life on.
Light pinker or paper weight at best.

Offline BUGEYE

• Trade Count: (3)
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2011, 05:51:36 AM »
I have one. a 22 that rides in my tackle box with shot cartridges.
I also have a colt cobra .38 with aluminum frame that I would never fire again. you can hold it by the grip and shake it and it sounds like a can of marbles.
I've shot the RG for nearly 40 years and it's still tight.
Give me liberty, or give me death
                                     Patrick Henry

bugeye

Offline Redhawk1

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2011, 06:29:37 AM »
Redhawk1, I have ACTUALLY  investigated ACTUAL accidental deaths involving RGs that FAILED. The families didn't know that the sears are bad on many and made of pot metal, and that the metallurgy is bad OVERALL on the RGs. If you want to compare an RG with an old Colt that in itself speaks volumes of you knowledge of RGs, and perhaps old Colts. There is actually know comparison of the two. I have said WHAT I KNOW TO BE TRUE, based on personal experience with accidental deaths and gunshot wounds from a defective, poorly made, and dangerous handgun, that should have never been on the market. I have an old Iver Johnson 38 S&W that the steel is far, far, superior to the very best RG has to offer. I would not stand on a fireing line (and I have stood on many as an instructer) at any range next to an RG being fired.
If you have a protocol that will enhance this dangerous clunkers KNOWN reputation for failure at critical times, to be safely carried and fired, them by all means proceed, you have the last word on the matter.

With that said, I have stated the case for why to dispose of a very bad, and dangerous handgun, and I will not debate the virtues of a dangerous piece of JUNK! I'm done.

Oh I was not comparing the workmanship of the Colts to the RG whatsoever. Yes the RG's were made of pot metal, but there are people that know what they are, and know there limitations..  I agree they are not a gun I would shoot any hot or semi hot 38 loads in. 
Have a good day Dee!
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Life Member NA

Offline Mohawk

« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2011, 10:40:42 AM »
As Dee said, I would destroy it.

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2011, 11:52:41 AM »
I'd shoot it.
"Brother, you say there is but one way to worship and serve the Great Spirit. If there is but one religion, why do you white people differ so much about it? Why not all agreed, as you can all read the Book?" Sogoyewapha, "Red Jacket" - Senaca

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing  1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~

Offline hillbill

« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2011, 02:41:33 PM »
id shoot it too, if it looked ok.years ago i had a tiny 22 rg with a one inch barrel. it always hit what yu aimed at if yu aimed a foot to the left.my brother in law at the the time was a cop and took it off a perp,i traded it for a rick of wood.yu had to take the cylinder pin out to poke out the emptys, what a pos.

Offline Lon371

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (53)
  • Why Not a Handi?
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2011, 10:22:46 PM »
 I had one for several years and shot it alot. Store bought loads. Never had a problem. But I am no expert.  Which firearm would be left if we got rid of everyone that had an issue and accidently killed someone?

Lonny

Offline BUGEYE

« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2011, 08:45:02 AM »
mine is all steel.  no pot metal.
                                     Patrick Henry

bugeye

Offline Hank08

• Trade Count: (35)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2011, 10:36:36 AM »
Hinkley (I think that was his name) liked them.
Ronald Reagan didnt but that one did work and was accurate enough to hit the President.

Offline woodsie57

« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2011, 08:04:45 AM »
Took mine out and shot it yesterday! performed flawfessly;RG mod.39, .38 spl. Alloy frame, nicely blued cyl. and bbl.liner, wood grips,2in. 6 shot. Way different from their all-zinc rimfires with no cyl. lockup whatsoever; Cyl. lockup is as tight as any of my S@Ws or Colts. Cyl. gap only .004. RG made plenty of absolute junk, their later centerfires were an attempt to salvage their reputation, but way too late.

Offline 45-70.gov

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2011, 08:17:54 AM »
DEE........

i am sure you seeing those people with bullet holes in  them

has tainted  your opinion   of this peice  of junk
when drugs are outlawed only out laws will have drugs
DO WHAT EVER IT TAKES TO STOP A DEMOCRAT
OBAMACARE....the biggest tax hike in the  history of mankind
free choice and equality  can't co-exist
AFTER THE LIBYAN COVER-UP... remind any  democrat voters ''they sat and  watched them die''...they  told help to ''stand down''

many statements made here are fiction and are for entertainment purposes only and are in no way to be construed as a description of actual events.
no one is encouraged to do anything dangerous or break any laws.

Offline Dee

« Reply #19 on: June 10, 2011, 05:53:01 AM »
45-70, you could be right. I quite possibly am prejudiced by the results of first hand investigations of the RG accidents waiting to happen. No one ever intentionally drops a pistol. That's why their called "accidents", instead of "on purposes". I concede, your right. My opinion is indeed tainted. ;)

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #20 on: June 10, 2011, 06:06:58 AM »
Some old guns Colt's S&W's etc. were built to the highest standard of the time . But time passed them by and better mechanics and metal sent them to the storage closet or display board. Some still shoot them for fun but seldon carry for defense since better is aval. Some guns were built to meet a price and quality was not the goal from the start. If cheap was the goal one must ask themselves how much testing and QC went into the product. That said one gun may be safe while another was not inspected as well or a flaw in the metal may be a hiden time bomb.
My eyes , hands etc are not worth the gamble . If such were not true why did the transfer bar actions come along and be accepted by all quality revolver producers ?
Dee is pointing out safety that should be obivous .
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline Mohawk

« Reply #21 on: June 11, 2011, 04:20:54 PM »
IIRC, S&W changed their revolvers when a sailor dropped his M&P(pre 10) aboard a ship during WWII. Gun landed on hammer and killed him. I once had a "Gutsenberger" (sp?). It was a .32 Long double action but loaded like a single action. Complete junk!!! Fell apart before one round fired. Luckily, it only cost me $50. 

Offline woodsie57

« Reply #22 on: June 11, 2011, 10:26:57 PM »
 The RG39 has the transfer bar. Not saying it's state of the art, just that some 0f their later model centerfire stuff was decent and servicable for someone who needed protection at a minimal cost. 

Offline S.B.

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #23 on: June 14, 2011, 10:49:19 AM »
I would have to agree with the above poster..  Have a good gunsmith check it out first..   I have an old RG as well in 22 short.. I shoot if some times.. It has a pinned barrel..

I doubt a good gunsmith could help here? Aren't they investment cast? I have one I use in Hunter Safety Courses and it's in pieces(blownup).
Steve
"The Original Point and Click Interface was a Smith & Wesson."
Life member of NRA, USPSA,ISRA
AF&AM #294
LIUNA #996 for the past 34 years/now retired!

Offline BUGEYE

« Reply #24 on: June 14, 2011, 05:30:05 PM »

I doubt a good gunsmith could help here? Aren't they investment cast? I have one I use in Hunter Safety Courses and it's in pieces(blownup).
Steve
ruger uses investment casting for about everything.  it's just another way to mold steel.
I've been all over my RG with a magnet and it's all steel.
                                     Patrick Henry

bugeye

Offline S.B.

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #25 on: June 14, 2011, 05:36:56 PM »
BUGEYE, Rugers are American made not Brazilian or some other third world country. America has manufacturing standards equal to none in the rest of the world.
Steve
"The Original Point and Click Interface was a Smith & Wesson."
Life member of NRA, USPSA,ISRA
AF&AM #294
LIUNA #996 for the past 34 years/now retired!

Offline BUGEYE

« Reply #26 on: June 14, 2011, 05:57:54 PM »
BUGEYE, Rugers are American made not Brazilian or some other third world country. America has manufacturing standards equal to none in the rest of the world.
Steve
I know.  but investment casting makes one of the strongest actions available.  it's a lost-wax process that turns out almost perfect actions and frames. ruger has used it for a long time.
                                     Patrick Henry

bugeye