Author Topic: Elevating screw - a work in progress  (Read 1027 times)

Offline PaulB

• Trade Count: (0)
Elevating screw - a work in progress
« on: May 20, 2011, 06:34:15 PM »
I'll try and drag myself out of the stone age and see if I can post a pic of the elevating screw I've been working on.
 Paul

Offline moose53

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
Re: Elevating screw - a work in progress
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2011, 06:46:14 PM »
Nice work, its surprising how much work goes into every part of a cannon . Is the rest of it done?

Offline PaulB

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2011, 07:15:15 PM »
Nice work, its surprising how much work goes into every part of a cannon . Is the rest of it done?
Thanks, done? no, I'm probably 75% done with the carriage. You are correct about the amount of work that goes into each part. I'm fortunate to have some good friends who are very talented and willing to help.

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2011, 09:58:03 PM »
Paul,
What's that good looking screw meant to eventually elevate?
RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline PaulB

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2011, 11:20:00 PM »
Paul,
What's that good looking screw meant to eventually elevate?
A 1/2 scale Napoleon. Hopefully I'll get the trail inletted for it over the next few days and I'll post a pic.
One of the more interesting aspects of building a cannon is figuring out what you can make a particular part from, for this part the obvious choice was a large forged C-clamp.  The bronze top cover should hide it pretty well.

Offline gunsonwheels

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2011, 05:22:29 AM »
Did you cut your own square threads or use a commercially available acme screw ?  And did you turn the handles of the wheel or get them from someone like Reid's Supply?  The box is more than enough work for people like me so I do the above.  :)

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2011, 06:32:31 AM »
[A 1/2 scale Napoleon. Hopefully I'll get the trail inletted for it over the next few days and I'll post a pic.
One of the more interesting aspects of building a cannon is figuring out what you can make a particular part from, for this part the obvious choice was a large forged C-clamp.  The bronze top cover should hide it pretty well.

Offline gunsonwheels

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2011, 06:58:54 AM »
Haven't seen a square thread C-clamp for quite a while... so probably Acme.  The handles still look like a Reid offering.  Have about three sets around here for the various projects so the profile is pretty recognizable.  If you clip the point on their ends with a grinder and similarly reduce the belly swell they will look more like the originals... but then who's going to notice?  :)  That box top is beautiful though  ;D

Offline PaulB

« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2011, 09:18:45 AM »
Haven't seen a square thread C-clamp for quite a while... so probably Acme.  The handles still look like a Reid offering.  Have about three sets around here for the various projects so the profile is pretty recognizable.  If you clip the point on their ends with a grinder and similarly reduce the belly swell they will look more like the originals... but then who's going to notice?  :)  That box top is beautiful though  ;D
Yes, I purchased the handles. I probably should have turned the shoulder down a bit and bobbed the ends but you still can't quite get there so I left them. The threads are more like a square thread than acme but I used the "nut" contained within the c clamp,

Offline gunsonwheels

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2011, 09:42:03 AM »
I used the "nut" contained within the c clamp,

I've done that before  :)  Cut and grind... still have one or two such "bobbings" in the parts box.   I used to wander Floyd Equipment's yard in Tacoma looking for anything square or acme for elevation screws.  Now I just order a length of acme from Enco or McMaster-Carr along with the nut.  Can't get the TPI course enough in the larger sizes though.  How close is close enough??  Glad that's different for each one of us.  :D