Author Topic: Black powder ignition question  (Read 1599 times)

Offline agent141

• Trade Count: (0)
Black powder ignition question
« on: May 23, 2011, 11:22:31 AM »
I have a question on black powder (cannon grade) ignition. I have a bowling Ball mortar I am currently igniting by fuse, I want to switch to slap hammer and percussion cap, is any body using a magnum percussion cap to set off 700 or so grains of cannon black ?  , is their any ignition problems ? .  thanks  Rick

Offline little seacoast

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • A Real Regular
  • Let them get just a little closer...
Re: Black powder ignition question
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2011, 12:08:45 PM »
Hi, I am using a slap hammer and .22 power cartridge to fire my Parrott with no problems at all. Also using slap hammer and musket cap on my SBT Dahlgren.  Any cap or cartidge with a little oomph seems to work well.
America has no native criminal class except Congress.   Sam Clemens

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2011, 02:24:22 PM »
If you have access to magnum percussion caps, get all you can, CCI had discontinued them.

How long is your vent?   That might minimize  the amount of fire going to the powder.

Also if your mortar cant be posted here then don't ell us that when you post because then I have to delete your entire post... just leave that part out.  I have edited you post so you aren't violating our policy..

You mortar can be posted here if you first will send the moderators a copy of your build letter from ATF.

Offline keith44

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2011, 03:12:39 PM »
I'm curious is there any advantage to the hammer & primer over linstock and straw or friction primer ignitions??
keep em talkin' while I reload
Life member NRA

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2011, 03:14:22 PM »
I like the idea of a loooonng string.
Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline agent141

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2011, 07:09:01 PM »
Thank you Double D.....................  the powder chamber is 1.5 x 4.5 with 1.5 inch wall .

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2011, 04:15:29 AM »
I don't know if 1.5 inches is a long ways for the flash from a cap or not.   Anyone?

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2011, 05:18:10 AM »
agent 141,

You've given the dimensions of the powder chamber; what is the length of the vent?
RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline agent141

« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2011, 12:01:37 PM »
Sorry, 1.5" drilled through the wall 90 deg. into the middle of the powder chamber.

Offline little seacoast

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2011, 12:05:34 PM »
1.5" isn't a problem for a musket cap.

Offline Scotsman13a

« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2011, 05:37:32 PM »
On a related note, how about 209 primers through a vent approx. 4.5" long? Deciding on ignition for a full scale tube myself.

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2011, 05:54:09 PM »
.22 cal. 'shot' loads for sinking nails into concrete . Dom used it on my parrot gun and with a slap hammer it works real well .

The vent will also work for quills or fuse too .

Welcome

Gary
"I've seen too much not to stay in touch , With a world full of love and luck, I got a big suspicion 'bout ammunition I never forget to duck" J.B.

Offline rampa room artillery

• A Real Regular
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2011, 06:05:19 PM »
I just bought 3000 wingless musket caps at 30 dollars a 1000 so i understand the idea, hell i will go out and throw some cannon grade in my 42 and see if it goes off. but i am sure it will without problem.  the only problem with useing a nipple cap system is cleaning the vent  in between shots.    safety,  safety.

rick bryan

Offline dan610324

• bronze cannons and copper stills ;-))
    • dont have
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2011, 10:24:06 PM »
how about drilling a 5,7 mm hole and use a 1:50 conical reamer to enlarge it to 5,9 0r 6 mm at the surface of the barrel
slightly conical and perfect smooth surface in the vent and you would most probably have the empty 22 blank cases jump out by themself
just control how much they "jump out" with the weight of the hammer

Dan Pettersson
a swedish cannon maniac
interested in early bronze guns

better safe than sorry

Offline dominick

• GBO Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (21)
    • Black Powder Cannons & Mortars
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2011, 02:33:59 AM »
That's what I like about the .22's.  In most cases, they eject from the barrel and leave the vent clear for reloading. 

Offline little seacoast

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2011, 12:40:43 PM »
Dominic the system you put on my Parrott works great and ejects spent cartidges well, but a misfire makes removing the .22 tough. The hammer flattens the rim right down flat and thin against the barrel. Gotta buy a screw awl to help extract them.  Regards LS

Offline dominick

• GBO Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (21)
    • Black Powder Cannons & Mortars
« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2011, 02:57:11 PM »
A few of the 75 caliber French 75's do not eject the shell.  We place the 22 blank through a small flat washer and it's easy to remove.

Offline little seacoast

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2011, 03:30:36 PM »
Thanks for the tip!  It's only on misfires that there 's any problem.

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2011, 04:59:45 PM »
Sorry, 1.5" drilled through the wall 90 deg. into the middle of the powder chamber.

agent141,

I'm the one who should apologize for missing "..... with 1.5 inch wall.", at the end of your sentence; if it had been a cobra I'd be dead! ;)
RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline Scotsman13a

« Reply #19 on: May 25, 2011, 07:05:34 PM »
Interesting. I never thought of the blanks from the hardware store. Was fixated on 209 primers, thinking them abundant and inexpensive. If memory serves, which is debatable, those things come in different strengths. Is it likely to matter which I need to reach a charge through a 4.5" vent length?

Had thought of quills, but I prefer a percussion ignition, and have had spotty luck with friction primers lately.

Thanks again for the help. Learning a lot already!

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #20 on: May 25, 2011, 08:50:07 PM »
My Dom parrot gun also 'self ejects' the '.22 shot loads' . ;D

They are available in several power loads , I have used the highest power loads they are very good .

The only down side is on a cannon that only weighs 140 LBs or so you must PULL the lanyard smartly and not yank it like a friction primer . Otherwise the gun will move upon...yanking....and you will miss your target . ???

Gary 
"I've seen too much not to stay in touch , With a world full of love and luck, I got a big suspicion 'bout ammunition I never forget to duck" J.B.

Offline subdjoe

« Reply #21 on: May 26, 2011, 04:42:19 AM »
Had thought of quills, but I prefer a percussion ignition, and have had spotty luck with friction primers lately.

Let me guess - the primer pops, but it doesn't blow the plug out the bottom.  I've taken to just cutting an X in the bottom with a sharp knife.
Your ob't & etc,
Joseph Lovell

Justice Robert H. Jackson - It is not the function of the government to keep the citizen from falling into error; it is the function of the citizen to keep the government from falling into error.

Offline Scotsman13a

« Reply #22 on: May 26, 2011, 06:13:58 PM »

Let me guess - the primer pops, but it doesn't blow the plug out the bottom.  I've taken to just cutting an X in the bottom with a sharp knife.

Yep. That is exactly what they've done. Might try the knife trick, but it seems quite counter intuitive. I'd hate to be the 7 finger walking example of why you shouldn't mess with them.

I don't think weight is a problem on mine. I doubt I could pull the lanyard hard enough to move the tube. Weight is somewhere around 1200 lbs, plus whatever the carriage weighs.

Offline subdjoe

« Reply #23 on: May 26, 2011, 06:30:20 PM »

Yep. That is exactly what they've done. Might try the knife trick, but it seems quite counter intuitive. I'd hate to be the 7 finger walking example of why you shouldn't mess with them.

I don't think weight is a problem on mine. I doubt I could pull the lanyard hard enough to move the tube. Weight is somewhere around 1200 lbs, plus whatever the carriage weighs.

I think what happens is that the rubber/silicone the end of the tube is sealed with is either thicker or tougher than the person making the primes thinks it is.  Powder won't fall out of the tube, because the seal stays in place, but when the primer goes, the 'doors' you have cut in open up.  I doubt it is any more dangerous than cutting fuse.
Your ob't & etc,
Joseph Lovell

Justice Robert H. Jackson - It is not the function of the government to keep the citizen from falling into error; it is the function of the citizen to keep the government from falling into error.