Author Topic: any info on this??  (Read 1389 times)

Offline jordanr7

• Trade Count: (0)
any info on this??
« on: July 29, 2012, 09:25:58 PM »
just wondering if anyone can give me any info on this ? what do you think it is? i know a little about it but anything else would be great! Thanks

Offline armorer77

• GBO Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (8)
  • A Real Regular
Re: any info on this??
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2012, 09:46:48 PM »
Looks like an 1841 8" seige howitzer . How big is it ?

Offline jordanr7

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2012, 10:50:05 PM »
defintely agree that it looks like one! thanks! its 27-32 inches long depending where i measure from...just the "barrel" is 27 inches long roughly...its 8 inches across the front, 24 inches deep if i measure down the "barrel" (im sure im calling stuff by the wrong name im new to this stuff) and it has a 2.950-3.00" bore...i can get anything else that would help as well, thanks for the reply!

Offline KABAR2

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2012, 03:19:42 AM »
jordanr7 Welcome to the forum!
From your discription this is a reproduction, is the bore lined? And are there any markings?
Mr president I do not cling to either my gun or my Bible.... my gun is holstered on my side so I may carry my Bible and quote from it!

Sed tamen sal petrae LURO VOPO CAN UTRIET sulphuris; et sic facies tonituum et coruscationem si scias artficium

Offline jordanr7

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2012, 06:58:57 AM »
Yes this is a reproduction, it does have a lined bore and no markings that I see although I know it was made by Paul miller of cannons limited or cannons ltd

Offline jordanr7

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2012, 07:38:11 AM »
After looking closer I do not believe it has a lined bore

Offline jordanr7

« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2012, 10:11:09 AM »
i also have some other misc parts and pieces for cannons some parts made of brass...and books on cannons/parts i guess is what they are...ill have to post up some pics so you guys can see what you think...

Offline jordanr7

« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2012, 12:38:28 PM »

Offline flagman1776

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2012, 12:42:12 PM »
Is the tube cast or machined? 

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2012, 03:53:28 PM »
Hi, jordanr7. Do the howitzer, parts, and plans from Antique Ordnance Publishers all come from the estate of Paul Miller?

The next to last photo you posted shows cast tops/handles for elevating screws, and next to them are cast elevating screw boxes (only one is drilled). These are carriage parts; the elevating screw is set on the trail under the barrel breech, and rotating it raises/lowers the barrel.
The two large cast iron parts in the last photo, are lunettes for carriage trails. The lunettes are fastened on the ends of carriage trails, and are used to attach the carriage to the limber.   
RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline jordanr7

« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2012, 04:05:02 PM »
yes this stuff all came from paul millers estate, it was his personal cannon and all of these parts were things he had for making them, i wish that i would have bought alot more of his things like molds ect but just couldnt swing it at the time...the barrell is cast

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2012, 04:09:55 PM »
Were there any other artillery pieces offered at the estate sale?
RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline jordanr7

« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2012, 04:14:56 PM »
just the molds no other cannons.... well there was one barrel and some wheels....but no other complete cannon, all of his molds, and things like that sold

Offline jordanr7

« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2012, 04:20:45 PM »
pm sent cannoneer

Offline intoodeep

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2012, 04:35:40 PM »
Cannoneer,

You can view the auction listing here. They also had a King Howitzer shown. Be sure to view the photo gallery.

http://shamrock-auctions.com/past-auctions/?az_feed_pos=http%3A//www.auctionzip.com/cgi-bin/auctionview.cgi%3Flid%3D1498198%26feed%3D129%26group%3D0%26state%3D%26kwd%3D%26zip%3D%26category%3D0%26nojava%3D0

jordanr7,

It looks like you also have a bunch of friction primers in that blue container.
If you make it idiot proof, then, someone will make a better idiot.

Offline jordanr7

« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2012, 04:44:34 PM »
the other cannon that was pictured (brass looking with a carriage started) was not there for auction, a family member had taken it before hand, thats actually the one i was after but i had planned on trying to get both, this was the only one there so i went with it, and yes i havnt counted yet but there is a container full, i would think atleast 300 if not more friction primers in there but ill have to count

Offline Zulu

• Honor is a gift a man gives himself.
    • Wood & Ironworks
« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2012, 12:14:39 AM »
I was at Cannon LTD back in 1998 when I bought my Parrott Rifle from Paul.  There was a whole lot of stuff laying around there then including a lot of 12" cast aluminum wheels that had 14 spokes.
I liked Paul.  They made a fine product.
Zulu
Zulu's website
www.jmelledge.com

Offline KABAR2

« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2012, 03:01:47 AM »
Well I just checked the online auction clearing house that companies acros the nation use and Shamrock is not one of them which explains how this one went under the radar....... those were some nice molds....
Mr president I do not cling to either my gun or my Bible.... my gun is holstered on my side so I may carry my Bible and quote from it!

Sed tamen sal petrae LURO VOPO CAN UTRIET sulphuris; et sic facies tonituum et coruscationem si scias artficium

Offline de_lok

• Contributor
  • ICW
    • My Photo Album
« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2012, 05:02:32 AM »
I wonder if the molds included the ones he used to cast the aluminum carriage parts and wheels for the 1/8 and 1/4 scale naval & field guns, and 1/3 scale mountain howitzer wheels and carriage? I often thought the 1/8 scale "casting kits" sold by Dixie Gun Works were made by Paul. I have one of his catalogs from the early 90's and they look identical. Paul was very helpful to me over the phone (15 + years ago) and sold me some 1/4 scale hardware for a project I was working on without buying the entire hardware set. He was a true craftsman and will be missed.............................

Dewayne

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2012, 11:18:53 AM »
Cannoneer,

You can view the auction listing here. They also had a King Howitzer shown. Be sure to view the photo gallery.

Thanks, intoodeep! It seems like it always happens at the last minute, an insider decides to keep the bronze tube as a remembrance. :D

How come you didn't let me know about this one from Jim Bircher? Did you already get two? ;)

Offline jordanr7

« Reply #20 on: July 31, 2012, 12:01:45 PM »
The barrel on this one is lined Not just cast

Offline intoodeep

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #21 on: July 31, 2012, 02:57:45 PM »
Cannoneer,

I've sent a PM regarding that.  :P
If you make it idiot proof, then, someone will make a better idiot.

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #22 on: July 31, 2012, 06:53:28 PM »
The barrel on this one is lined Not just cast

That's good news; its having a liner is certainly a plus.

Yesterday I couldn't figure out what the rusty parts on the right were, but today it dawned on me that they're pieces to make the sponge and rammer chain, that clips on the side and goes under the trail of the carriage.