Author Topic: Re: .44mag/.44sp Loads  (Read 480 times)

Offline kmittleman

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: .44mag/.44sp Loads
« on: May 22, 2011, 07:24:31 PM »
Hey Guys,

I broke down and ordered a Ruger Bisley Hunter........no thanks to you!  ;) Also, I ordered some hardcast 200gr bullets and picked up some Unique. My question is what are some decent loads for hunting and plinking without too much recoil? I plan on using the 200gr for cowboy loads and may buy some 240gr for deer. Any powder/load suggestions?

-Kevin

"The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he doesn't exist." - C.S. Lewis

Offline Bigeasy

• Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2011, 10:46:29 PM »
Kevin

The 44 mag / 44 spec are one of my favorite handgun rounds, and I have reloaded and shot with them extensively.  While 44 spec. ammo is great for practice and small game in a 44 mag if you don't reload, I would stick to 44 mag cases since you do.  Brass is usually cheaper and easier to find.  Unique is a good all around powder, though faster powders such as Red Dot and 231 are more suited for light loads, and slower powders such as H110 / 296, and 4227 are better suited for heavy loads, especially with heavy bullets.

200 grain cast bullets are fine for target and small game hunting.  I usually use Red Dot, but any powder in that burning rate area will give similar performance.  I usually load to about 850 - 900 fps.  A semi waddcutter bullet at that speed will give good performance on small game, and cut clean holes in the target without a lot of undo muzzle blast and recoil.

For mid-range loads, I like a 240 / 250 grain semi waddcutter cast fairly hard at about 1000 / 1100 fps.  Unique is a good choice for this application.  I have taken a fair number of deer with this load, and it is very effective, with deep penetration, and comfortable recoil.

For max loads, I almost always use H110 / 296 powder (they are the same exact powder, and loading data is interchangeable)  This powder is not suitable for reduced loads, and requires a firm crimp for consistent burn, but produces high velocities with great accuracy.  240 grain bullets at 1400 fps or so, and 300's at about 1200 fps are the norm.  Frankly, when using hardcast Keith type bullets at these velocity ranges, I have not seen a big difference in killing power on deer, although they do penetrate deeper, and would be preferable for larger game.  If using a jacketed bullet, I would load to these velocities, and use a heavier, strongly constructed bullet like the XTP, or Gold Dot in 270 / 300 grain weight to ensure expansion and penetration.  I have killed deer with a 180 grain bullet at high velocities (the Remington load), and it kills like lightning on broadside lung / heart shots, but I question light for caliber bullets like these for all around big game hunting where penetration can be an issue on angling shots.  I have not listed any specific loads, as you should always depend on tested loads from a manual, or a powder manufacturers web site.  Also, there are a lot of new powders out there that are probably just as good as the ones I have mentioned, its just that Red Dot, Unique, and Win. 296 are the powders I have used and been happy with in their respective burning rates.  Good Shooting with that new Ruger..

Larry
Personal opinion is a good thing, and everyone is entitled to one.  The hard part is separating informed opinion from someone who is just blowing hot air....

Offline millwright

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2011, 03:56:40 PM »
     I use 10 gr unique with 240 gr hard cast swc.  Works every time, very reasonable recoil, have done a few deer and one bull moose,  800 lb. complere passthrough, one shot.  I use same load for everything works for me.
The worst time to find your tongue is when you lose your head.

Offline streak

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2011, 06:52:25 PM »
     I use 10 gr unique with 240 gr hard cast swc.  Works every time, very reasonable recoil, have done a few deer and one bull moose,  800 lb. complere passthrough, one shot.  I use same load for everything works for me.
Millwright,
What brand of revolver are you using and also barrel length?
NRA Life time Member
North American Hunting Club
Second Amendment Foundation
Gun Owners of America
Handgun Hunters International