Author Topic: Cost saving tip for hunt planning  (Read 529 times)

Offline freddogs

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Contributor
Cost saving tip for hunt planning
« on: April 28, 2004, 05:19:46 AM »
:D Everyone has tips for hunt planning. When I plan a hunt all the information I can get is useful. Firsthand is best. I use my cell phone with it's ample supply of minutes to call out to the area I want to hunt. We used to have a $50 phone bill to split up, now it's included in my monthly cell phone charge. A calling card can be useful too.
Call wildlife managers, game wardens, forestry offices, chambers of commerce, sporting goods stores, outfitters, ranchers, or anyone else you think can help. The more you know ahead of time, the more likely your trip will be good. Spend your money on ammo for target practice. :grin:

Offline james

• Trade Count: (7)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2004, 11:40:24 AM »
I agree Fred, get all the info you can.
I also have contacted fellow hunters on the net. I try to e-mail friends in Colo. each yr before I leave AR to see if they have an acorn crop, how bad the drought is, or if they had a bad winter kill.  The elk like the oak brush when the acorns hit and move to higher elevations if the grass has burned up down low.  I wish I was closer so I could do my own scouting, but I guess I'll rely on some fine fellow hunters to feed me tid-bits of info.
I just applied for a muzzle loader bull tag in the state wide zones so I am not restricted to a small area.  I am considering wilderness areas such as The Holy Cross or Frying Pan where I have back pack hunted high country mulies in the past.  Of course I haven't drawn a tag yet so I don't get serious about researching until I have the tag in my hand. If I draw a cow tag I'll go to a N'atl forest where I can use my Japanese mule to pack it out.  
Good Huntn :D
James

Offline freddogs

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Contributor
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2004, 08:41:51 AM »
:D Email and the internet are good places to find out stuff. Discussion groups like this one sometimes lead you to someone who has hunted the area you are interested in. I planned a trip to New Mexico and got a lot of useful info from other hunters. Don't expect anyone to tell you of their honeyhole. Game and Fish websites also have lots of info. Arizona's website is a good example.
Another tip is to keep all the info you get about an area in one location. I use a file cabinet. I pick up stuff while on the trip and file it when I get home. You may meet someone who invites you to a good spot so you should take a small notebook with you and record names,phone #, and details. The older I get the more I need memory assistance